PDA

View Full Version : Bikesplaining

Lewis Moon
02-23-2016, 09:58 AM
Bikesplaining: it's what you do when your spouse notices you have twice as many sets of wheels as you have bikes. Happened last night. I thought I saw her metaphorically pulling on hip boots.

sandyrs
02-23-2016, 10:02 AM
Bikesplaining: it's what you do when your spouse notices you have twice as many sets of wheels as you have bikes. Happened last night. I thought I saw her metaphorically pulling on hip boots.

It's easy to assume our significant others don't understand why we have all this equipment, when the reality is that they understand why we think we need it, but think it's stupid that we think that.

Dead Man
02-23-2016, 10:04 AM
I had this realization when I had my wife go pick up a set of Belgiums from a dude while she was in his area.

"Another wheelset? Don't you have like 10 already? What could you possibly need ANOTHER set of wheels for?"

"Uhhhh....

would you just go pick up the damn wheels please?"

"Fine."

Good woman.

christian
02-23-2016, 10:07 AM
I have a Giant Reign coming. I am pretty scared of downhills and a slow, careful mountain biker. This will require some next-level bikesplaining.

Kobe
02-23-2016, 10:07 AM
I have all of my spare frames and wheels hanging from the rafters above the cat's litter box. She never goes near there.

EPIC! Stratton
02-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Just remember, Rule #12 (http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/comment-page-8/#12) can also be applies to bike parts.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

That said, I think we all have our vices.

bikerboy337
02-23-2016, 10:19 AM
I convinced my wife this weekend that I have 4 bikes, my junker Mtn. Bike in the garage (my old bridgestone), my Serotta road bike, my salsa warbird, and my other bike all in the basement...

good news is I dont have an "other" bike, so i'm thinking I may just be able to sneak another bike down there...

I do have 6 sets of wheels for my 2 main bikes, she hasn't quite noticed that quite yet...

gmcampy
02-23-2016, 10:38 AM
New Specialized SWorks frame due in next week, HOPE she is at work that day. Not sure how I will bikesplain the old yellow bike suddenly turning Red ;)

crownjewelwl
02-23-2016, 10:43 AM
I have a Giant Reign coming. I am pretty scared of downhills and a slow, careful mountain biker. This will require some next-level bikesplaining.

what happened to your 5010?

chiasticon
02-23-2016, 10:43 AM
I had this realization when I had my wife go pick up a set of Belgiums from a dude while she was in his area.

"Another wheelset? Don't you have like 10 already? What could you possibly need ANOTHER set of wheels for?"

"Uhhhh....

"Fine."

Good woman.same. my wife's approach seems to be: just ignore it and don't ask questions you don't want the answers to. (also: he doesn't ask me about all the clothing deliveries, so I won't ask him about all the bike ones.)

djg21
02-23-2016, 10:46 AM

For this reason, I have a couple sets of wheels that are essentially identical. I'll say no more, just in case she should read this.

Mzilliox
02-23-2016, 10:49 AM
My wife is out of town for work this week. When she returns there will be a new bike in the stable. Will she notice a JP Weigle, or will it blend into the crowd? I may have a little Bikesplaining to do, but damn it, its a Weigle, explanation enough right? I somehow don't think she is going to understand "Its a Weigle", but oh well, I'll take the heat, because you guys understand,

Its an effin Peter Weigle.:banana:

soulspinner
02-23-2016, 10:51 AM
My wife is out of town for work this week. When she returns there will be a new bike in the stable. Will she notice a JP Weigle, or will it blend into the crowd? I may have a little Bikesplaining to do, but damn it, its a Weigle, explanation enough right? I somehow don't think she is going to understand "Its a Weigle", but oh well, I'll take the heat, because you guys understand,

Its an effin Peter Weigle.:banana:

Babe, its a Weigle, I will get rid of the huffy...

Mzilliox
02-23-2016, 10:52 AM
The one thing i have learned form this thread is that i need more wheels. We only have 5 sets for 4 bikes... that is obviously not up to code...

Mzilliox
02-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Babe, its a Weigle, I will get rid of the huffy...

we do have an old beater Peugeot that could be the -1. fair trade I'd say

notsew
02-23-2016, 11:07 AM
It's easy to assume our significant others don't understand why we have all this equipment, when the reality is that they understand why we think we need it, but think it's stupid that we think that.

This is the rightest outlook in my opinion. I just tell my wife, it could be drugs or other women, at least my hobby keeps me happy and healthy, right?

Thought it does remind me of this (which my wife cut out of the New Yorker and put on our refrigerator)... http://i.imgur.com/6C5n9PO.png?1

nooneline
02-23-2016, 11:20 AM
I'm glad I don't have this problem.

My sweetheart has just as many bikes and wheels as I do. I had to pressure her to try carbon tubulars for a few races - and then she went from "Can I borrow your fast wheels?" to "So when am I gonna get some fast wheels?" And now she's got some fast wheels. :hello:

tv_vt
02-23-2016, 11:22 AM
^^ Hey Notsew, obviously you need more Rapha kit, bro. You gotta look stylin' - after all, aren't we staying in shape to keep her interested? Thought that was what this was all about...

christian
02-23-2016, 11:47 AM
what happened to your 5010?

Nothing. It's still awesome. But I had a chance to get a 2016 Reign for cheap so....

sandyrs
02-23-2016, 11:57 AM
^^ Hey Notsew, obviously you need more Rapha kit, bro. You gotta look stylin' - after all, aren't we staying in shape to keep her interested? Thought that was what this was all about...

I thought it was about the bike

jmoore
02-23-2016, 12:07 PM
How many purses/pairs of shoes/yoga mats, etc. does your wife have?

notsew
02-23-2016, 12:10 PM

Ha, I look better than the guy in the cartoon, but I could probably step up my kit game. Though I think she's always going to make fun of me for wearing lycra.

Michael Maddox
02-23-2016, 12:11 PM
I've stopped trying.

I have five customs. Several bikes that were just gotta-have-its that I wanted since the 80s. A racing bike. A trainer bike. A TT bike. A mountain bike. And a wall in my office dedicated as a bike museum.

It's just what I do.

I get nothing but exasperated grunts and a breathless sigh of "Hoarder!" when I mention them.

I've stopped mentioning them.

FlashUNC
02-23-2016, 12:14 PM
How many purses/pairs of shoes/yoga mats, etc. does your wife have?

If you've had success with that particular line of argument, please do let us all in on your secret. Because that one always ends badly for me.

soulspinner
02-23-2016, 12:51 PM
we do have an old beater Peugeot that could be the -1. fair trade I'd say

Actually used this (sort of) when a Raleigh in a box needed to be sacrificed...

carpediemracing
02-23-2016, 12:54 PM

I think this is great.

The Missus is super supportive, even if she doesn't partake. She knows which are my fast wheels (Stinger 7/9), my second choice race wheels (Stinger 6/6), my high wind front wheel (Stinger 4), my training wheels (Bastognes), my "I'm not even thinking of taking them" (Jet 6/9).

She even questions me when I tell her that, no, I'm not bringing an extra bike to the race, because the back up bike usually means I'm serious about racing that day (plus there were two or three events where I broke weird stuff and couldn't race). Even without that I usually I bring 2 front race wheels, 1 rear race wheel (2 rear if I bring the extra bike), and 1 pair training wheels for spares. I even pack two helmets, 3 rain jackets, etc, in case people need to borrow stuff. I started packing a pair of pedals and cleats when someone asked me if I had an extra pedal (I didn't).

Also the first aid bin full of Tegaderm (typically 30-80 4"x4" sheets plus about 5-7 feet of 4" wide roll) first aid numbing cleaning spray, and related items. I've given out a few feet of roll (good for big road rash) and dozens of sheets, and I try to send away whoever I help with a few changes worth of stuff.

carpediemracing
02-23-2016, 01:00 PM
First team meeting/party of my current team, where family/friends were invited, there was a "bike bingo" game to help everyone talk to each other. Everyone had to write something about themselves to one person, that one person organized a "bingo card" that had stuff like "grew up in Holland" or whatever. A bunch of stuff was bike related, including a "I always buy black bikes so my wife doesn't know when I get a new bike, which I do every year" so the question was "who always buys black bikes so his wife doesn't know he's buying a new bike every year?"

At the party there were a few ringer questions - the bingo organizer threw them in as a check, and nicely enough, no one faked the answers. One of the ringers was the "black bike" thing.

At the next team meeting (not a party with everyone invited) the bingo person said that the "black bike" question was NOT a ringer question but the spouse showed up and therefore... well you know. Heh.

Luckily there are a lot of black bikes in the team.

The Missus?

I went from the 2nd gen Ergo levers (black) to the 3rd gen Ergo levers (black also). The first time I brought the bike up from the basement with the new levers she asked me when I got the new levers. hahaha. I was floored. She'll notice other subtle things on the bike too, like pedals, cranks (back when I changed them around), etc.

soulspinner
02-23-2016, 01:19 PM
if you've had success with that particular line of argument, please do let us all in on your secret. Because that one always ends badly for me.

:d

PQJ
02-23-2016, 02:01 PM
New Specialized SWorks frame due in next week, HOPE she is at work that day. Not sure how I will bikesplain the old yellow bike suddenly turning Red ;)

"You looked so unbelievably beautiful it was blushing and strangely hasn't stopped."

benb
02-23-2016, 02:02 PM
I don't have to do a whole lot of Bikesplaining.. only have 2 bikes, although I do have one on the way shortly. Of the two bikes I have right now one is 3 years old, the other (MTB) I've had since before I met my wife.

Regarding the New Yorker comic, you've got major issues if the missus doesn't think you look good in bike clothes.

Is there anyone here that got married before they got into cycling? I met my wife in the peak of my cycling insanity.. doing all that riding was a good girlfriend filter.

I also think N+1 has to equal at least as many bikes as your kid owns. Maybe mine are a lot more expensive but we already 3 bikes for our son. (12" balance bike, 12" pedal bike, 16" pedal bike) And a scooter. That rule could work in your favor if you have a lot of kids.

Lewis Moon
02-23-2016, 02:09 PM
It's going to be hard to bikesplain a new set of Campy Record cranks, which are presently being bestowed upon me by Merlin....I mean, the cranks I have on there right now obviously work...and they're new. Do you think she'd understand the stigma of SRAM?

pdmtong
02-23-2016, 02:19 PM
I had a trek district belt with ORANGE B43's hanging right next to her car and it took her six months to notice. she just doesn't care what I buy/sell and trusts that I self-regulate. I had to argue as to why we should change her XC mtb out for a 29er AM with dropper - it was mentioning going back to SLX from SRAM and FOX DRCV that sold it. my daughter had 2 mtb, road and DH when she was 6 or 7. she now (16yo) has a FS mtb and a carbon road and a beater. so she expects a cyclist to have multiple bikes.

chiasticon
02-23-2016, 02:26 PM
I had a trek district belt with ORANGE B43's hanging right next to her car and it took her six months to notice. she just doesn't care what I buy/sell and trusts that I self-regulate.yeah, same. but she does like to bust my balls about it when she catches me sneaking something in, like "you realize I don't care, right?"

also, one of my favorite things is when she'll be at home while I'm at work, a delivery arrives and she'll take a photo of what is obviously a frame or wheels or something, send it to me and ask "what's this?" and I'll just say "drugs" and move on. I'm not really lying. :o

bikerboy337
02-23-2016, 02:30 PM
I've also become an expert at shipping to my local FedEx or UPS store rather than home as I can't ship to my office any more... that way I can sneak in the goods when she is not around....

In fact, have a set of carbon disc brake wheels sitting at FedEx today waiting for me to pick em up...

christian
02-23-2016, 02:39 PM
If you've had success with that particular line of argument, please do let us all in on your secret. Because that one always ends badly for me.

Yeah, this doesn't work at all for me. My wife once told me that I have more cycling shoes than she has shoes. I was going to counter that that wasn't technically true, but it's close enough that I thought the better of it.

On the plus side, my wife rides a Parlee and a vintage Trek and had a Vanilla before, so she understands and she trusts me to spend our money reasonably sensibly. She only gets annoyed when the number of bikes exceeds the number of hooks.

So I'm getting a carpenter friend of hers to re-do my basement so I can fit more hooks! Win-win-win!

notsew
02-23-2016, 02:42 PM
Is there anyone here that got married before they got into cycling? I met my wife in the peak of my cycling insanity.. doing all that riding was a good girlfriend filter.

Yes, my wife has observed me transforming into a full bike obsessive. And she is, in fact, very supportive of the endeavor in general. She just thoroughly enjoys giving me ���� at any possible occasion and all this bike stuff, with the gear and the silly clothes, really lends itself to giving ����.

Lewis Moon
02-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Yeah, this doesn't work at all for me. My wife once told me that I have more cycling shoes than she has shoes. I was going to counter that that wasn't technically true, but it's close enough that I thought the better of it.

On the plus side, my wife rides a Parlee and a vintage Trek and had a Vanilla before, so she understands and she trusts me to spend our money reasonably sensibly. She only gets annoyed when the number of bikes exceeds the number of hooks.

So I'm getting a carpenter friend of hers to re-do my basement so I can fit more hooks! Win-win-win!

My wife owns a 17 year old sewer pipe mountain bike from the local Big Box. She flatly refuses to let me build a nice one for her. She's an old school, midwestern hair shirt.

donevwil
02-23-2016, 02:47 PM
When a new part/wheelset/frameset arrives my wife's first question is, "Is it for me".

Basically, whatever I buy for me must get multiplied by two.

Steve in SLO
02-23-2016, 06:57 PM
I have an understanding wife (thankfully), whose last two responses to the UPS truck driving up were:
"Take it back! Take it back!" While running up to the truck with the driver inside laughing.
And:
"Oh yea! another bike – we can all smile again!

to the 0P: loosely, wheels=shoes.

Tandem Rider
02-23-2016, 10:00 PM
When a new part/wheelset/frameset arrives my wife's first question is, "Is it for me".

Basically, whatever I buy for me must get multiplied by two.

That's pretty much how it goes here too. Actually, if she gets one first and it's faster, I usually either get the green light or it just shows up. She's much more aware of the latest trends than I am. I'm just happy if it still works and it's quiet. She and a buddy of mine (shop owner) collectively goad me into upgrades.

Ronsonic
02-23-2016, 10:17 PM
My wife looked over my shoulder one day while I was shopping bib shorts and was amazed to see how many there were that they were sold by a large number of stores.

Before she had sorta thought it was just me who wore those things. :eek:

sjbraun
02-24-2016, 07:14 AM
Way at the beginning of my cycling fascination, some friends were over for dinner and one asked why I needed more than one bike. Before I could begin to explain, my wife replied, "They're for different types of riding." I knew then that I had her full support.

Now, I'm kind of over n+1. I really don't like having bikes I don't have time to ride. For now, I'm pretty happy with n. Recently, I sold a Pegoretti. It was my third nice road bike. With three in the rotation, one of them could sit for weeks unridden.
When I started lusting after a BMC monster cross, I felt better replacing one, rather than adding to the collection.

smontanaro
02-24-2016, 07:31 AM
It's kind of hard to hide the bikes around my place. We own a three-flat which includes a currently unoccupied "garden apartment". Well, unoccupied if you don't count the bikes. One closet has Ellen's three bikes. One bedroom has another couple. The second bedroom is my main storage area, with, I think, eight? bikes right now. Then there are a couple frames hanging from the rafters in the mechanical room. Oh, and there are another three or four out in the garage. Wheels? Pretty much everywhere.

On the plus side, I did pass along a PX-10 frame and old gas pipe Turin frame to a buddy over the weekend at the local bike swap. We shared a vendor table. We didn't sell much to other people, but swapped a fair amount with each other. It would have been cheaper to skip the swap and just commence to trading stuff at his house. :D

benb
02-24-2016, 08:01 AM
Some of you guys are just nuts...

For me it's really 2-3 is the sweet spot. I need just enough that I can keep riding when one of them is down for maintenance.

I'm going from 2 -> 3 right now. But there is an itch to sell one and go back to 2 as well.

Gummee
02-24-2016, 08:13 AM
I'm single.

Bikes, bikes, bikes, and more bikes!

Having said that, I think I'm in a spot where I've had a few of my frames long enough (swap parts to a new frame) that I'm going to try and sell a few to try something new.

I've got an FN Bicycles Spirit-tubed prototype inbound, so I think I'll draw the line at 10. (temporarily)

M

sandyrs
02-24-2016, 08:15 AM

For me it's really 2-3 is the sweet spot. I need just enough that I can keep riding when one of them is down for maintenance.

I'm going from 2 -> 3 right now. But there is an itch to sell one and go back to 2 as well.

I'm with you- if I don't race the bike or put big miles on it, it goes. This is enforced not by my girlfriend, but by the dimensions of my apartment. This puts me at two cross bikes (one SSCX), a road bike, a FS MTB, and a commuter. I could probably do away with the commuter if my SSCX had fender mounts. That's a future optimization.

smontanaro
02-24-2016, 08:34 AM

Never said I wasn't. <wink>

For me, a big part of the hobby is working on and building new-to-me bikes. Also, none of my bikes were custom-built for me, so there is an iterative process in figuring out what fits. I definitely have favorites. During the nice summer months, most of my bikes are in rotation, but there are a couple which get ridden more than others. Most of the bikes I have are pre-1984. Add to that the two commuters, an Xtracycle for hauling stuff, and you can easily wind up with "a few bikes."

My wife is complicit in my hobby. While she's not a bikie (she toodles around town, but doesn't ride nearly as much as I do), she does text me from estate sales on occasion with a picture of a bike being sold. "Any interest?" She knows a Brooks saddle when she sees one. :D

benb
02-24-2016, 09:21 AM
I I put up nice hangers in my garage I could have a lot of bikes but in general I get the itch to get rid of anything I don't use but if you want to ride a lot (I am trying to ride 7 days a week or as close to it as possible this year) you do need more bikes.

I do kind of hate maintenance & cleaning so less bikes is less of that.

It's a pretty innocent thing to do (have a lot of bikes) other than the mess you can buy a lot of really nice bikes for the cost of a sports car or boat or something and those will bring plenty of headaches.

I used to have a motorcycle, that's a little harder vs bikes.. you can get a lot of motorcycle for the price of 2-3 nice bicycles. Plenty of maintenance but not a ton of headaches with motorcycle ownership. It's also a little disturbing that moto clothes don't cost much more than bike clothes, even if you're buying nice moto clothes. e.x. my super nice Dainese suit, really nice boots and Arai helmet barely cost me more than a Rapha/Assos get up + bike helmet + shoes, etc.. at least if you add in a bike jacket, tights, etc..

chiasticon
02-24-2016, 10:04 AM

I'm going from 2 -> 3 right now. But there is an itch to sell one and go back to 2 as well.I'm right around there. I generally keep a road bike for the summer, and two cross bikes for racing and riding the rest of the year. I have a third cross bike that was an experiment, but that'll likely go soon-ish and possibly fund a MTB, possibly not. mainly, I don't want a ton of bikes because it's just extra headache keeping 'em all running, etc.

I've got a ton of wheels though. mainly because of cross, but also a handful of clincher options for road, gravel and cross practice.

Gummee
02-24-2016, 10:54 AM
I used to have a motorcycle, that's a little harder vs bikes.. you can get a lot of motorcycle for the price of 2-3 nice bicycles. Plenty of maintenance but not a ton of headaches with motorcycle ownership. It's also a little disturbing that moto clothes don't cost much more than bike clothes, even if you're buying nice moto clothes. e.x. my super nice Dainese suit, really nice boots and Arai helmet barely cost me more than a Rapha/Assos get up + bike helmet + shoes, etc.. at least if you add in a bike jacket, tights, etc..
For me, motos are transportation when I don't have to schlepp a bike around. ...mostly because they don't do a whole lot for the roll round my middle.

I'm 'in the process' of rebuilding a HuskyTE 250. Needs an engine rebuild. I'm thinking Athena 310 kit. MOAR POWERRRRRR! When I was riding another bike off-road in Tucson, I did realize how different off-road riding was to riding road or gravel on my GS-Adv. :nod MUCH more of a workout!

These videos are giving me the itch to ride in the woods. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJAvmhgP0h1AEKY8vTEJPJg)

M

72gmc
02-24-2016, 11:57 AM
I have at least one bike in the proverbial bank right now. This after selling off 2 because I rarely/never reached for them.

More than once she's asked, "Don't you need another bike?"

I'm playing the waiting game and hoping my buying power grows over time.

bking
02-24-2016, 12:22 PM

"Uhhhh....

"Fine."

Good woman.

Stop calling them wheels, call them shoes...they'll get it then.

thirdgenbird
02-24-2016, 12:41 PM

I'm with you. I've been up to four twice and it's too much. I'm currently there and trying to sell back down.

I'm not a big offroad guy so I'm going to try and stick to a traditional road bike, fat tire road with rack mounts, and a cross bike. All three are rim brake and record 10spd.

Ive currently got four wheelsets and anticipate going to five...

Current:
Tubular road w/ 12-25
23mm clincher with 12-23
28mm clincher with 12-25
35mm mixed terrain clincher with 13-29

Future:
40mm-ish (possibly larger up front) offroad tire with 12-30

The road bike fits the first two (delta brakes limit clerance)
The fat tire road fits the first four
The cross bike will fit all five

I think this combination will meet any ride I would possibly do. More wheel inventory than nesissary, but I got good deals on some killer wheelsets.

Ti Designs
02-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

The last new bike to take up residence in my house was her Specialized Amira - that was her Christmas present, all built up with older 10-speed Dura-Ace. The bike before that was her Cervelo P3, with a set of carbon wheels I bought from a client. That was the result of a stupid bet on my part. She wanted a carbon tri bike, I wanted her to become fast on anything before looking to the equipment, so I said she could get a carbon bike when her long interval speed got over 25MPH. That tail wind cost me a lot...

I'm not shy about buying myself toys, but I also know I don't really need them. A few months ago I kinda wanted the new BlackMagicDesigns video camera (that need has faded), now I've started hinting that the new pro series Lumix 100-400mm lens would fit well in my camera bag. I probably won't get that either. I really can't complain, I would much rather have a girlfriend who can ride with me than another bike or camera lens.

sg8357
02-24-2016, 04:51 PM
So the wife comes back from the LBS to get a replacement tire.
The shop is slow, so plenty of time to hangout and talk to the
mechanic. Comes homes to 'splain how her next bike really needs
hydro discs, Ti of course.

If she gets a Ti w/hyrdos, I'll get an Ellis with those Compass Mafacs.

Shiny new bikes all around.

Scuzzer
02-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Stop calling them wheels, call them shoes...they'll get it then.

Doesn't work here because I've got around 10 pairs of hiking boots for all different conditions and about the same amount of wheelsets. My wife isn't a shoe woman so she's got way less.

Since I don't go nuts on shoes or wheels she rarely even bothers to mention it. When I wandered in last year with 3 new to me tubular wheelsets, she raised an eyebrow and I said "$30 craigslist". Her response was "nice buy".

thirdgenbird
02-24-2016, 09:54 PM
So if your wife loves an overpriced (but unique) frame off the bay, do you buy it?

Dead Man
02-24-2016, 09:58 PM
So if your wife loves an overpriced (but unique) frame off the bay, do you buy it?

For me?

thirdgenbird
02-24-2016, 10:02 PM
For me?

The question? Open to anyone.

My wife (who rarely rides) fell in love with a frame on the bay. It's not priced for the soft market, but the paint is quite unique. on the plus side, I think it may fit her better and it gives me a good opportunity to update her to a shorter crankset and better gearing.

Dead Man
02-24-2016, 10:06 PM
Nono.. I meant if she found an overpriced frame that she loved....... for me.

thirdgenbird
02-24-2016, 10:11 PM
Are you a rossin fan?