PDA

View Full Version : Tubulars - What do you carry with you?

bikerboy337
02-23-2016, 09:01 AM
So i've full on into tubulars for my road bike this year. This fall picked up 2 sets on a whim (HED Stinger 4 FRs and a set of DT350s laced to HED Belgiums).

Now that spring is approaching need to figure out my setup a bit.

What do you carry with you on shorter rides when you ride tubulars? Spare/pump, PitStop, both?

I've treated the Belgiums with Orange Seal as I'm riding them now and have been carrying a spare and pump, but just picked up some cans of Vittoria Pit Stop and wondering if I should just carry that along without a spare for my typical 20 mile lunch rides...

Anyways, what do take along for flats when you ride tubulars?

AngryScientist
02-23-2016, 09:15 AM
the arundel tubi bag is so well designed and convenient that i just have a pre-glued tubular stuffed into it and throw it on my saddle whenever i ride tubulars. it's compact enough and rides securely on the bike that i dont even notice it's on there. i keep a small multi tool and tire lever in the bag too. works for me.

Ryun
02-23-2016, 09:23 AM
I pre treat mine with orange seal and in the past 18 months never had one need to be changed on the road.
I carry a glued spare tubular under the seat, a co2 cartridge and nozzle, and one of those flat wheelsmith tire levers in my pocket.

My experience with different sealants is that if orange seal didn't stop it, pit stop wont do you any good. Ive seen orange seal clog up some big cuts so id guess anything it wouldn't seal would mean tire is gone.

FlashUNC
02-23-2016, 09:27 AM
I carry a small thing of Stan's sealant and a valve core removal tool in case its a small hole on shorter rides. For longer stuff, I'll carry along a used tire with glue already on it.

As Ryun noted, the sealant should solve most run of the mill stuff, but every one in a while the big stuff necessitates a new tire.

And a frame pump, nearly always a frame pump.

Climb01742
02-23-2016, 09:38 AM
So i've full on into tubulars for my road bike this year. This fall picked up 2 sets on a whim (HED Stinger 4 FRs and a set of DT350s laced to HED Belgiums).

What do you carry with you on shorter rides when you ride tubulars? Spare/pump, PitStop, both?

I've treated the Belgiums with Orange Seal as I'm riding them now and have been carrying a spare and pump, but just picked up some cans of Vittoria Pit Stop and wondering if I should just carry that along without a spare for my typical 20 mile lunch rides...

Are you happy with your switch to tubulars? Have the plusses outweighed the extra 'work'? I ask because I'm tempted to follow suit. BTW, did you glue or tape your tires? Thanks!

Lionel
02-23-2016, 09:43 AM
I do not put sealant in my tubulars. I carry a used spare tubular, a small bottle of stan, a valve core removal, a spare valve core and a mini pump. The setup is the same whether the ride is short or long.

rwsaunders
02-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Ditch the Pit Stop and carry Stan's or Orange Seal. I don't pre-treat either as there is a shelf life for some of the sealants, but I can see why one would do so.

Lewis Moon
02-23-2016, 09:54 AM
Back in the old days before tire sealant (and decent clinchers) I carried a used tubular, a frame pump and a patch kit. The last was a worst case scenario option. The patch kit consisted of: patches and glue, including a longish patch in case of a small rip, a scalpel blade (in protective sheath), a carpet needle pre-threaded with dental floss and a couple of yards of duct tape wrapped around an old credit card. I remember several instances where I had to patch a tubbie, in the middle of nowhere, in the rain, while being heckled by mutant cowboys.
Back when I rode tubulars, I often replaced entire tubes in order to keep the rare and expensive beasts on the road.

Now I ride clinchers, thank you.

Dead Man
02-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Nothing tubular related.

This is, so long as I'm not riding red-stem Vittorias. :mad:

I do carry a mini pump, though I might start leaving that at home on shorter rides. Good tubulars pre-treated with sealant are so reliable I just never need to do anything to them..

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 10:03 AM

All tubie rides, I carry a preglued tubie strapped under saddle with a small, metal tire lever and a $5 bill. All in a sock. I also pre treat the tires with orange seal sealant. Frame pump.

Btw-just put the tubulars back on Moots. I don't ride in rain, so wet spare tubie on rim not an issue. Once again, reminded of the magical ride with tubulars... No trouble, btw, the whole tubie gig. I think tubeless much bigger PITA. IMHO of course.

teleguy57
02-23-2016, 10:09 AM
the arundel tubi bag is so well designed and convenient that i just have a pre-glued tubular stuffed into it and throw it on my saddle whenever i ride tubulars. it's compact enough and rides securely on the bike that i dont even notice it's on there. i keep a small multi tool and tire lever in the bag too. works for me.

I carry a small thing of Stan's sealant and a valve core removal tool in case its a small hole on shorter rides. For longer stuff, I'll carry along a used tire with glue already on it.

As Ryun noted, the sealant should solve most run of the mill stuff, but every one in a while the big stuff necessitates a new tire.

And a frame pump, nearly always a frame pump.

+1 on the Tubi bag w/pre-glued spare. I carry Stan's and a valve core removal tool as first line of defense. Second line of defense is the small flat-bladed screwdriver with the edges rounded off for easier tire removal if I have to go that route.

And yes, frame pump all the time!:)

For long and remote rides (like mountain rides in CO where I can't count on cell coverage to call for a pickup) I do belt and suspenders by subbing in a Jandd Dual bag with two pre-glued spares. I have never yet need to go to the second one (actually, only once needed to go beyond the Stan's) but my Boy Scout "be prepared" training is still part of my mindset in those situations.

Will likely replace the Stan's carry-along with Orange based on recommendations from others.

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Nothing tubular related.

This is, so long as I'm not riding red-stem Vittorias. :mad:

I do carry a mini pump, though I might start leaving that at home on shorter rides. Good tubulars pre-treated with sealant are so reliable I just never need to do anything to them..

Might look up my picture of a big, honkin' nail in it. A well wrapped spare under saddle no big deal.

ultraman6970
02-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Back in the day saddles were bigger, I was taking an old tubbie under de seat just like potato.

Now a days I carry nothing :D

Dead Man
02-23-2016, 10:23 AM
Might look up my picture of a big, honkin' nail in it. A well wrapped spare under saddle no big deal.

I average 1 call of shame a year on tubulars.... I'm OK with those odds, to not have to carry extra weight/stuff every ride.

I will carry a spare in some situations

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 10:32 AM
I average 1 call of shame a year on tubulars.... I'm OK with those odds, to not have to carry extra weight/stuff every ride.

I will carry a spare in some situations

I've had to call twice in 35 years of riding tubulars. 2 flats on one ride, twice.

Y'all ca do what ya want but a tire, pump weighs like way less than a pound(450 grams), on most 80,000 some gram bike/rider packages.

BTW, I know a guy with a tricked out A4 and he drives w/o a spare cuz it's lighter. :eek:

wgp
02-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Like others, when I'm on tubulars I have the following kit to accompany me:

Spare tubular (in an elegant bag I got from someone here) and a modified small screwdriver (smooth, rounded edges) that I can use as a pry tool to get the flatted tubular off. I do have a valve core remover too, though I no longer regularly carry sealant. This in addition to Co2 inflator (with spare cartridge, just in case!).

PitStop doesn't work; several failed attempts with relatively minor punctures in my experience. Following the wisdom here, last season I began pre-treating with Orange Seal (following Old Potatoe and others).

In warm months with daylight, I ride tubulars most days. In winter, and on my commute when it's dark (again winter months), I ride clinchers (Continental 4 Seasons).

carpediemracing
02-23-2016, 11:14 AM
When I trained on tubulars I didn't take anything unless I was doing a big loop (so more than 10-15 miles radius from home). When I did a 200km ride I brought two spares, a "compact" (17mm tire, preglued) and a regular for the time 20mm tire.

After trying various tires I have stuck with higher quality tires that have some puncture resistant layer under the tread.

The Stingers won't let you ride a flat unless you have monster tubulars. I couldn't even ride my bike back to the car at a race. I barely made it around the course on a front flat, and almost crashed because I couldn't turn at all.

I don't know about the DTs.

I generally relied on being able to ride home on a flat, which was very possible on the 20-21mm wide aluminum rims, and it happened a number of times. Now, with carbon, wide... not so much.

So nowadays, if/when I train outside, I train on clinchers. I've gone out on my Stingers a few times (max radius distance about 4 miles) but it felt like driving without a seatbelt or riding without a helmet or.. well you get the idea.

weaponsgrade
02-23-2016, 11:20 AM
I carry a spare tubular and a can of Pitstop. Pitstop worked once and failed another time. I treated the failed tubular with Slime and it's been working so far.

john903
02-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Yup pretty much the same as everyone here. I carry a 2oz bottle of Orange seal, and frame pump. I do not pre-treat my tires, and will carry a spare under the seat on longer rides.

Anarchist
02-23-2016, 11:31 AM
I've had to call twice in 35 years of riding tubulars. 2 flats on one ride, twice.

Y'all ca do what ya want but a tire, pump weighs like way less than a pound(450 grams), on most 80,000 some gram bike/rider packages.

BTW, I know a guy with a tricked out A4 and he drives w/o a spare cuz it's lighter. :eek:

Why would you carry a spare for a Skyhawk? Oh, wait ...................

bikerboy337
02-23-2016, 11:41 AM
Do they sell 2oz bottles? Never seen those, only the 4 oz bottles?

Yup pretty much the same as everyone here. I carry a 2oz bottle of Orange seal, and frame pump. I do not pre-treat my tires, and will carry a spare under the seat on longer rides.

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 12:00 PM
Why would you carry a spare for a Skyhawk? Oh, wait ...................

Good on ya...not many know that. We also called them 'scooters' and dogs...

Russian bear
02-23-2016, 12:35 PM
I keep a 21mm spare under the saddle(Vittoria Corsa Elite - kinda wish I would have bought something with a latex tube so it folds up even smaller), sealant in the tires, pump and pedro lever in jersey pockets.

Climb01742
02-23-2016, 12:48 PM
Folks seem to favor frame pumps. Any particular reason pump over CO2 for tubulars? Or asked differently, is CO2 a poor choice for use with sealant out on the road?

AngryScientist
02-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Or asked differently, is CO2 a poor choice for use with sealant out on the road?

i certainly think so. sealant isnt necessarily an immediate fix, sometimes it needs to find it's way into the puncture, dribble out a little, etc. CO2 is more or less a 1 shot deal, and if you're going to rely on sealant, having an unlimited air supply is probably a good thing.

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 12:55 PM
Folks seem to favor frame pumps. Any particular reason pump over CO2 for tubulars? Or asked differently, is CO2 a poor choice for use with sealant out on the road?

Been stranded with CO2 so no mas for me. Besides, slow leak, easier to pump numerous times. Plus easier to scare the guy who uses sram away with a full sized pump...:D

Russian bear
02-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Pumps are friendlier to nature/world and infinite air.

Dead Man
02-23-2016, 01:33 PM
Mini-pump - fair compromise

I don't remember what my Lezyne weighs, but if I remember correctly it's barely a few more grams than a Co2 setup

john903
02-23-2016, 01:44 PM
I like a frame pump because as stated some times you need just a bit more air to help the tire seal up, also it supply's an infinite amount of air. Oh I forgot I also tape my valve core remover to my bottle of sealant.

bikerboy337: Sorry for the confusion, you are correct the orange seal is a 4oz bottle so I use a old stans 2oz bottle with orange seal the stans bottle it fits in my jersey pocket better.

Wow I am forgetting a lot today maybe I should go for a bike ride.
SeeYa

chiasticon
02-23-2016, 01:53 PM
haven't made this leap yet but I plan to soon; maybe not every ride, but at least for some. I picked up some sweet wheels for next cross season and they already have nice road tubs glued to 'em with tons of life left, so why not? :hello:

anyhoo, my backup plan was just carrying a spare, pump and a lever. didn't plan on screwing with sealant. problem is the spare I have (again something picked up already glued to some cross wheels) is a 25mm Pave. it doesn't roll up very small and seems way too bulky to attach under the seat; I think my legs will hit it. it'll likely either go in a back pocket or in a bottle cage.

anyway, question is: for your spare, do you guys use basically the same tire as you're riding? I know some people take out 21mm or even 19mm tubs as spares, as a "just get me home" option. I'm not sure that's even feasible for me though, with such wide rims (303 FC's).

teleguy57
02-23-2016, 02:14 PM
didn't plan on screwing with sealant....

anyway, question is: for your spare, do you guys use basically the same tire as you're riding? I know some people take out 21mm or even 19mm tubs as spares, as a "just get me home" option. I'm not sure that's even feasible for me though, with such wide rims (303 FC's).I don't think of it as "screwing with sealant" as I don't pre-treat any more. I think of it as "I can get this puncture fixed on the road faster than taking off a well-glued tire". :) Also like not having to worry about the glue holding or regluing when I get home.

I use whatever I have around as a spare, mostly something I've taken off as the tread is getting worn but still has life. Right now I have a used Conti Sprinter in my Tubi bag and another at the ready. I think others use a newer tire and just continue to ride it rather than replacing it. Different horses...

And congrats on deciding to ride the new CX wheels w/road tubs on the road!

thwart
02-23-2016, 02:26 PM
problem is the spare I have (again something picked up already glued to some cross wheels) is a 25mm Pave. it doesn't roll up very small and seems way too bulky to attach under the seat; I think my legs will hit it.
some wisdom from a tall dude from ATH...

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f7/how-fold-tubular-2283.html

velomonkey
02-23-2016, 02:44 PM
I got a ton of orange seal in the basement. Here is my plan:

Ride tubulars and carry a spare with a full frame pump

Bring home the fatted tube and see if I can repair it with orange seal - if so, that goes into rotation for the replacement tire.

hollowgram5
02-23-2016, 03:02 PM
I got a ton of orange seal in the basement. Here is my plan:

Ride tubulars and carry a spare with a full frame pump

Bring home the fatted tube and see if I can repair it with orange seal - if so, that goes into rotation for the replacement tire.

This is typically what I do. I ride large frames, so I am not much worried about the extra weight. And I sealant all my tubulars when I mount then. Spare doesn't get sealant initially, but it will get some once I get myself home.

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 03:17 PM
anyway, question is: for your spare, do you guys use basically the same tire as you're riding? I know some people take out 21mm or even 19mm tubs as spares, as a "just get me home" option. I'm not sure that's even feasible for me though, with such wide rims (303 FC's).

I take the next tire in 'rotation', and use as spare. To use a preglued spare, that you won't keep on, adds to the chore(not really) of checking glue job once home.

Then once I check glue job(often fine), I add sealant..

uber
02-24-2016, 05:07 AM
I use a light Tufo tire that folds easily as a spare. That goes in the jersey pocket with two tire levers, a small multi tool and either a CO2 with head or a small mini pump. Have the proper length valve extension on the extra tire for the wheels you are riding. I wish someone told me that one.

smontanaro
02-24-2016, 07:18 AM
I average 1 call of shame a year on tubulars....

My only call of shame last summer was while riding clinchers. Since I returned to tubulars, I've yet to be stranded (knock on wood).

smontanaro
02-24-2016, 07:22 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697915577&stc=1&d=1456262971

Looks like one of David Beck's creations. I have one as well...