PDA

View Full Version : Click feel of Athena 11, Record 11, Centaur etc

R3awak3n
02-22-2016, 07:55 PM
For the campagnolo experts.

I have some centaur (new shape), record 11 and record 10 shifters. I have used the record 10 and centaurs for a while. Love the feel, nice hard click. The record 11 shifter that I have (not 2015 but red logo record with the 2 holes on the lever) and the click feel is exactly what I am used too, pretty nice.

Just received an athena 11 silver right shifter, I have a gutted left shifter and will be using this in the future as 1x. Get the shifter and thought it was broken. Kept shifting up and down and it didn't feel like it was shifting at all. Bought it on ebay so though, this is broken. In a minute I figured out that it is just not as hard to click its very light touch.

Is this normal with athena 11? I also noticed the thumb shifter is smaller and not as ergonomic. Don't understand why they would do this, I am sure I will get used to it but its not as good. I mean I guess they want to sell chorus, record and s record shifters over athena.

Tickdoc
02-22-2016, 08:05 PM

I have some centaur (new shape), record 11 and record 10 shifters. I have used the record 10 and centaurs for a while. Love the feel, nice hard click. The record 11 shifter that I have (not 2015 but red logo record with the 2 holes on the lever) and the click feel is exactly what I am used too, pretty nice.

Just received an athena 11 silver right shifter, I have a gutted left shifter and will be using this in the future as 1x. Get the shifter and thought it was broken. Kept shifting up and down and it didn't feel like it was shifting at all. Bought it on ebay so though, this is broken. In a minute I figured out that it is just not as hard to click its very light touch.

Is this normal with athena 11? I also noticed the thumb shifter is smaller and not as ergonomic. Don't understand why they would do this, I am sure I will get used to it but its not as good. I mean I guess they want to sell chorus, record and s record shifters over athena.

Not sure but my centaur 10 quick shifts are my favorites. They don't dump, but they are the shift.

thwart
02-22-2016, 08:44 PM
Old Spud will likely chime in in the AM, but the initial batch of the new shape ergos were softer shifting, at least the line up to Centaur (or maybe Athena). For awhile you could buy an upgrade kit that would give them a firmer click, but that time is gone, IIRC.

I had a beautiful set of 10 spd carbon Centaurs for a time but I couldn't deal with the soft shifting... so moved them on to someone else.

R3awak3n
02-22-2016, 09:08 PM
Old Spud will likely chime in in the AM, but the initial batch of the new shape ergos were softer shifting, at least the line up to Centaur (or maybe Athena). For awhile you could buy an upgrade kit that would give them a firmer click, but that time is gone, IIRC.

I had a beautiful set of 10 spd carbon Centaurs for a time but I couldn't deal with the soft shifting... so moved them on to someone else.

I got the shifter for a good deal and I am fine with it but I can already tell that I prefer the harder click, lets you know that you shifter gears. Then again I have to install it to see how it feels, this is just the feel in my hand without a cable.

Its fine, just doesn't feel like campagnolo. Its beautiful though, silver athena is awesome looking.

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 06:27 AM

Powershift, light feel(one higher gear at a time with thumb button??).

Feels a little clicky-er when attached but yup, really light feel compared to Ultrashift, like the Record 11s.

PLUS really cheap in comparison-yes?

If it is multiple gears with thumb button, I have a extra notched spacer you can add that makes it 'clickier' but the 'upgrade, in late 2009/2010 had deeper grooves in the shift disc. I do have UltraShift shift innards as well, 2014, which are clickier-But if Powershift, that's just the way it is.

R3awak3n
02-23-2016, 07:14 AM
Yes it feels cheaper for sure. The shifters are there and are smooth but maybe too smooth. Only one gear shift at a time so it has got t be power shift which is an interesting name since the last thing I feel when I shift this thing is power.

It is almost as if it's electronic. Who knows maybe I will get we t o it and fall in love with it.

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 07:20 AM
Yes it feels cheaper for sure. The shifters are there and are smooth but maybe too smooth. Only one gear shift at a time so it has got t be power shift which is an interesting name since the last thing I feel when I shift this thing is power.

It is almost as if it's electronic. Who knows maybe I will get we t o it and fall in love with it.

LIke I mentioned, I can sell you a UltraShift assembly, add the brake blade and handlebar clamp from Athena, add a hood and you have 11s Ultrashift-new assembly. $90 plus shipping. As you may have 'heard', I am a big Campagnolo fan but Powershift shifters(or Xenon, 2007/8 Centaur), not a fan.

andrew+
02-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Is this true for all Athena 11 shifters, or just the first batch?

R3awak3n
02-23-2016, 10:07 AM
I think its the case of ultra shift vs power shift from power shift. I guess all powershift feels soft.

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Is this true for all Athena 11 shifters, or just the first batch?

2009 were that way, 2010 were not, 2011 became Powershift.

nm87710
02-23-2016, 10:44 AM

Whether 10 or 11s there are two generations of powershift. 1st has horizontal buttons and a more mechanical feel - but still a much lighter shift effort than ultrashift. The black box internals on these units are more prone to failure/wear out. The 2nd gen powershift improved durability of the black box internals and went with the EPS style angled shift button while providing a bit lighter shift effort. 2nd gen is the better model IMO since it provides quick shifting with less effort, ability to downshift easily from the bar tops with a pinky finger and great thumb access to the EPS style shift button when in the drops and/or sprinting. All powershift units offer only a single downshift per click.

Whether one likes the light quiet click of powershift or the solid mechanical click of ultrashift is personal preference as both perform well.

Good Luck

R3awak3n
02-23-2016, 11:12 AM
Whether 10 or 11s there are two generations of powershift. 1st has horizontal buttons and a more mechanical feel - but still a much lighter shift effort than ultrashift. The black box internals on these units are more prone to failure/wear out. The 2nd gen powershift improved durability of the black box internals and went with the EPS style angled shift button while providing a bit lighter shift effort. 2nd gen is the better model IMO since it provides quick shifting with less effort, ability to downshift easily from the bar tops with a pinky finger and great thumb access to the EPS style shift button when in the drops and/or sprinting. All powershift units offer only a single downshift per click.

Whether one likes the light quiet click of powershift or the solid mechanical click of ultrashift is personal preference as both perform well.

Good Luck

so I guess the thumb shifter is the EPS style? Its so much smaller and less ergo.

This shifter is not going on a bike for a while so I won't know how I like it till then. In the meanwhile, its great to look at.

nm87710
02-23-2016, 11:43 AM
Here's a picture:
Silver = Powershift Gen1
Black = Powershift Gen2

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 11:57 AM
so I guess the thumb shifter is the EPS style? Its so much smaller and less ergo.

This shifter is not going on a bike for a while so I won't know how I like it till then. In the meanwhile, its great to look at.

2015 was the drooped thumb button on Veloce now.

FlashUNC
02-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Powershift is an evolution of their original Escape mechanism that they used in 10 speed Veloce and later Centaur stuff.

The shift feel is generally way lighter. I haven't used Powershift, but Escape, the shift happened on the release of the thumb button, rather than hitting it, so the feedback was quite a bit different than other Campy stuff. Its obviously cheaper and not serviceable, if memory serves.

Though, there's something to be said for the one shift per thumb push in some situations, avoiding the ratchet effect entirely could be a good thing.

But I never much cared for the feel, especially after moving up to the bits with the "dump" ability.

andrew+
02-23-2016, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the clarification!