PDA

View Full Version : one inch threaded headsets

Tickdoc
02-22-2016, 07:45 PM
Which is better and why?
Only a few pieces of the puzzle left for my ultimate dream build.

I need tires, handlebar, custom stem, and a headset.

Help me pick a headset. Must be silver, one inch, and threaded.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PS4-N9HGL.jpg

or....

https://media1.rosebikes.de/product/370/5/2/527007_1.jpg

or???

Catdr
02-22-2016, 07:49 PM
i vote for the King.

pbarry
02-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Campy and done. Lower stack height and better aesthetics.

eBAUMANN
02-22-2016, 07:50 PM
Sealed bearings vs non sealed...choice is pretty easy.
Unless the rest of the bike is campy, then not as easy.
But still kinda easy ;)

pavel
02-22-2016, 07:52 PM
cane creek 110

pbarry
02-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Sealed bearings vs non sealed...choice is pretty easy.
Unless the rest of the bike is campy, then not as easy.
But still kinda easy ;)

We're talking about the member who just received his RS group. Unless he's got another build going.. :rolleyes:

Louis
02-22-2016, 07:58 PM
Just for the record (Ha!) both of those are massively over-kill.

A $20 Tange-Seiki will do the job just as well.

Tickdoc
02-22-2016, 07:58 PM
We're talking about the member who just received his RS group. Unless he's got another build going.. :rolleyes:

Yes, and no:eek:

witcombusa
02-22-2016, 08:00 PM
Cane Creek 110 classic

ultraman6970
02-22-2016, 08:16 PM
You have to include in here Dura ace and ultegra 1inch headsets too.

And both just rock big time.

josephr
02-22-2016, 08:20 PM
+1 on the Cane Creek 110 Classic...also Dura Ace 7410 is still made. CK/Campy options are both nice though. Not going to go wrong with any of 'em.

Tickdoc
02-22-2016, 08:21 PM
You have to include in here Dura ace and ultegra 1inch headsets too.

And both just rock big time.

Oh c'mon, it's bad enough il have shi and pedals :D

Gummee
02-22-2016, 08:25 PM
If you can find one, an American Classic Tri-Lock is as nice or nicer than the King.

I've got a top cap left, but that's it.

M

thirdgenbird
02-22-2016, 08:45 PM
I have a record headset on my fair weather tommasini and a ck everywhere else. the record headset just feels right with the build.

I think a 110 is a great option as well. They look classier than a ck but still have the sealed bearings.

dave thompson
02-22-2016, 10:01 PM
You should have a look at the Velo Orange Grand Cru line, they have some pretty nice 1" threaded headsets. http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/headsets.html

FlashUNC
02-22-2016, 10:05 PM
Cane Creek 110.

Or the Record if you're trying to consistency, but the 110 is a pretty fantastic product.

zmudshark
02-22-2016, 10:23 PM
Check your stack height, as mentioned, then just go Campy.

ultraman6970
02-22-2016, 10:26 PM
I love campagnolo products but their headsets arent even close to what shimano made. I have a bike with a campagnolo headset just because of the bling bling :)

But shimano headsets are awesome.

Oh c'mon, it's bad enough il have shi and pedals :D

bikinchris
02-22-2016, 10:28 PM
If the bike has Campy parts, use Campy. Otherwise CK.

R3awak3n
02-22-2016, 10:38 PM
I have a record headset on my quill bike and its been great but I have heard some not so good reviews. I would probably go with it anyways if the rest of the bike is campy, also its cheaper than a new ck headset and its pretty damn good looking.

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/1990-jp-weigle-road-20539_5.jpg

Pastashop
02-22-2016, 10:58 PM
DuraAce - put one in and keep a spare – that's probably enough for a lifetime...

8aaron8
02-22-2016, 11:07 PM
I can see not wanting to put a DA headset on a campy bike, but I have 3 7410's and 2 ultegra versions, couldn't recommend them any more highly, I'd say I am set for life in the headset department.

ultraman6970
02-22-2016, 11:14 PM
My main problem with CK and CC 110 for example is that the finishing wont last a life time, mechanically sure they will work for a while but those shimano ones, the anodizing last way over 30 years.

It is sad they stopped making them.

K u r t
02-22-2016, 11:46 PM
It would surely help to see the rest of the bike this will be attached to!

What have you??

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 06:11 AM
Which is better and why?
Only a few pieces of the puzzle left for my ultimate dream build.

I need tires, handlebar, custom stem, and a headset.

Help me pick a headset. Must be silver, one inch, and threaded.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PS4-N9HGL.jpg

or....

https://media1.rosebikes.de/product/370/5/2/527007_1.jpg

or???

Remember what a headset does. It holds the fork on and allows smooth movement of the handlebars thru some few degrees. There are many now made or previously made, 1 inch threaded HS out there. The 2 pictured are excellent, they will last for a long, long time..

There are other, less expensive ones out there that will do the same thing, look the same(silver) and also last a long time..not as many 'coffee shp points', but good HS none-the-less.

Do a google search and fine many.

OBTW-I use Campagnolo or CK on all my bikes...:)

paredown
02-23-2016, 07:04 AM
Depends on the build of course, but I'm a fan of the Stronglight A-9--another with a classic look.

Needle bearings, replaceable races, decent seals and only $25 from Ribble:
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/stronglight-stronglight-headsets/strohstr

King headsets are expensive!

Web1111a
02-23-2016, 07:46 AM
Is the stronglight the same quality as the ones for 25 years ago

Does it use the same roller bearings?

Are the stack height the same?

Have 2 of these on peugeot bikes from 1989 and 1990

gmcampy
02-23-2016, 07:57 AM
Remember what a headset does. It holds the fork on and allows smooth movement of the handlebars thru some few degrees. There are many now made or previously made, 1 inch threaded HS out there. The 2 pictured are excellent, they will last for a long, long time..

There are other, less expensive ones out there that will do the same thing, look the same(silver) and also last a long time..not as many 'coffee shp points', but good HS none-the-less.

Do a google search and fine many.

OBTW-I use Campagnolo or CK on all my bikes...:)

+1, 1 bike has Record the other CK.

19wisconsin64
02-23-2016, 07:59 AM
looks the best, and works perfectly

but, they are all good choices

eddief
02-23-2016, 08:08 AM
$50 or so. They look fine, work fine, don't break hardly ever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FSA-Duron-X-1-Threaded-Headset-Silver-/191699849813?hash=item2ca2339255:g:f9UAAOxy5rpSTiY Y

guido
02-23-2016, 08:22 AM
For low trail fans the IRD/Tange Needle/roller design rocks...

http://store.somafab.com/irdrothhe.html

alancw3
02-23-2016, 08:41 AM
all through the 60's, 70's and 80's i had nuevo record headsets bulletproof. no maintenance (at least not by me) and never a failure. i considered this headset to be the benchmark by which all others were judged. this was way before chris king and cane creek. i would still go with a campy if i had to choose.

paredown
02-23-2016, 09:03 AM
Is the stronglight the same quality as the ones for 25 years ago

Does it use the same roller bearings?

Are the stack height the same?

Have 2 of these on peugeot bikes from 1989 and 1990

I'm not sure--I read on Velo Orange that they started to use a common bottom cup (shared with one of the other headsets) that was a bit different than the originals, and at one point that they were discontinuing it (2008):
http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2008/02/sad-headset-news.html

So I don't know if what Ribble has now is a newer design, or if they changed their mind about discontinuing, or if they are selling NOS.

The one that I picked up a couple of years back from Ribble looks the same to me--roller bearings etc, and I wouldn't have noticed the slightly different profile on the bottom cup had I not read about it. A crude measurement comes pretty close to the 37mm stack height that Velo lists in their description.

I haven't had the right bike for it yet, so I can't speak to quality, although I have been using one of their 1" O'Lite aheadsets for years and finally replaced the bearings, more as a preventative than anything else...(Ben's used to carry the needle bearing/race kits, although I see they are out of stock at present.)

One thing I will say about the design (shared with IRD/Tange listed above)--you will not get indexing/brinelling ever with the needle/roller design.

cnighbor1
02-23-2016, 04:56 PM
Stone's Cyclery in alameda ,CA has 1'' threaded chorus silver for $70

zzy
02-23-2016, 05:13 PM
Shimano by a mile. The 7410 or 6500 are as good as it gets and you'll never have to hunt for strange sealed bearing sizes. Give em a polish if you need that CK/Record look.

pavel
02-23-2016, 05:18 PM
the current stronglight 1" threaded HS uses cartridge bearings, not needle.

Miche makes the closest thing around to an old school roller bearing headset (probably because it is a stronglight copy.)

ultraman6970
02-23-2016, 05:31 PM
Miche copying stuff?? since when?

FlashUNC
02-23-2016, 06:20 PM
Miche copying stuff?? since when?

That's kinda been their business model since Day 1. Which is fine, they make some good stuff. But it ain't exactly original.

choke
02-23-2016, 06:55 PM
In my world there are two types of headsets.....Campy and everything else. :)

ultraman6970
02-23-2016, 07:44 PM
I was being sarcastic :D

That's kinda been their business model since Day 1. Which is fine, they make some good stuff. But it ain't exactly original.

oldpotatoe
02-24-2016, 05:59 AM
I love campagnolo products but their headsets arent even close to what shimano made. I have a bike with a campagnolo headset just because of the bling bling :)

But shimano headsets are awesome.

Hmmm, not a shimano-Campagnolo thing but their latest, cart bearing headset was a yawner, IMHO. PLUS when shimano went to cart bearings, they added about 5mm to stack height, making a whole generation of forks obsolete. Add in the bearings cost what a new HS cost, IF you can find them..very hard, since they are NOS only now, and proprietary(AFAIK)..Their loose bearing one was nice, their DA/ultegra..not so much, IMHO.

Plus somebody mentioned they are still made..I don't think so..shimano never made a threadless HS, BTW.

Lionel
02-24-2016, 06:11 AM
CK or Record are both good. I would stay away from the CC110, the one on my Lobster was a bitter disappointed.

ultraman6970
02-24-2016, 06:32 AM
Shimano never made a threadless headset (not counting the brand pro here) but if you find the right top you can use them as threadless, I did that to a dream I had.

Cant remember the brand but a company actually made the top cap and compression washer to transform a 1inch threaded to a threadless shimano headset, thing not many people knew, sometimes kits show up at ebay or even better, headsets with the kit included show up at ebay time to time too.

I had a colnago dream I did this, got lucky because I had all the parts moving around to convert a 600 to threadless, worked perfect.

I have a bike that came stock with those shimano bearings (integrated headset), replaced the top bearing, top cap and compression ring with ones from a 1 1/8 to 1 inch conversion headset they manufacture.

559Rando
02-24-2016, 10:58 AM
Get them both!

I'm a fan of the Tange Levin. I've installed them in half dozen bikes, including two customs. One has the NJS version, but I can't tell them a part. I'd wager that the less expensive Tanges are just as good.

I'll second (or third) the importance of investigating stack, and you can look at weight (is there much difference?), but functionally, a good loose bearing 1" threaded headset is set-it-and-forget-it. :banana:

Gummee
02-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Shimano never made a threadless headset (not counting the brand pro here) but if you find the right top you can use them as threadless, I did that to a dream I had.

Cant remember the brand but a company actually made the top cap and compression washer to transform a 1inch threaded to a threadless shimano headset, thing not many people knew, sometimes kits show up at ebay or even better, headsets with the kit included show up at ebay time to time too.

I had a colnago dream I did this, got lucky because I had all the parts moving around to convert a 600 to threadless, worked perfect.

I have a bike that came stock with those shimano bearings (integrated headset), replaced the top bearing, top cap and compression ring with ones from a 1 1/8 to 1 inch conversion headset they manufacture.
I woulda killed someone for a few of those kits 'back when.' I had more than a few 1" bikes that 'needed' threadless forks.

Aaah well.

...I always did wonder how the Mapei mechanics were running t-less steerers on those bikes

M

thirdgenbird
02-24-2016, 12:16 PM
CK or Record are both good. I would stay away from the CC110, the one on my Lobster was a bitter disappointed.

What was wrong with it?

El Chaba
02-24-2016, 02:13 PM
Depends on the build of course, but I'm a fan of the Stronglight A-9--another with a classic look.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/stronglight-stronglight-headsets/strohstr

The ultimate threaded headset. If it cost 4-5 times more it would get more respect. I have had one on an old Peugeot since about 1982-1983. Over the years I have opened it up to clean and re-grease it, and each time I discover that it is completely clean and uncontaminated. The only downside I can see is that the metal is a bit soft compared to the adjustment wrenches and you can mark up the adj. cup and locknut with the wrong type of wrench....

559Rando
02-24-2016, 02:22 PM

I'm pretty sure that the roller (AKA needle) bearing A-9 have been gone for a while. They might pop up NOS, but these at Ribble are either loose ball or cartridge.

ultraman6970
02-24-2016, 05:19 PM
This is one of the threads about it

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/dura-ace-1-threaded-threadless-adaptor-222879.html

But i think I found a better link here...

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1533/products/m-part-headset-a-dapter-1-inch-silver.aspx

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1531/products/m-part-headset-a-dapter-se-1-1-8-inch-black.aspx

And at least this guy says has them in stock...

http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk/6320-mpart-headset-adapter-1-inch

The other option is to buy a 1 1/8 to 1 inch integrated headset for BMX, you can take the top and the wedge, it might work.

Other people just cut the top part that has the 32 mm spanner tool part and filed the threads out, then you do like an angle because you need to make a wedge out of plastic to press the 1inch steering tube. Not complicated just need the right tools to do it, what you can do is to use the plastic wedge of a CK 1inch headset (i believe, found one of those in a LBS the guy wasnt sure where was coming from). Thats how you make your own 1 inch threadless headset with the one you have at home.

I woulda killed someone for a few of those kits 'back when.' I had more than a few 1" bikes that 'needed' threadless forks.

Aaah well.

...I always did wonder how the Mapei mechanics were running t-less steerers on those bikes

M

paredown
02-24-2016, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that the roller (AKA needle) bearing A-9 have been gone for a while. They might pop up NOS, but these at Ribble are either loose ball or cartridge.

It has been a while since I purchased mine--and I can't remember for sure if it was Ribble, so good to know. I would ask before purchasing another one.

559Rando
02-24-2016, 05:41 PM
It has been a while since I purchased mine--and I can't remember for sure if it was Ribble, so good to know. I would ask before purchasing another one.

My post had some ambiguous language, so to clarify: Ribble currently sells two variants of the A9. One has cartridge bearings, the other has ball bearings. If you click into the description, you'll see that £21 one has cartridge bearing and is touted to be the lightest 1" threaded headset. The other one's £8.60, and they call out that it's steel and has ball bearings.

Agreed the roller bearing A9 is the cat's pajamas.

Web1111a
02-25-2016, 06:09 AM
Guess if I want a spare need to see if I can find a nos needle bearing a9

Tickdoc
02-25-2016, 07:45 AM
Overthinking it, as usual.

Record threaded on the way.

Lionel
02-25-2016, 07:46 AM
What was wrong with it?

Lower bearing lasted 700km and the top one is gritty now.