PDA

View Full Version : Ritchey frames?

shinomaster
06-08-2006, 08:29 PM
I remember them being beautiful, but I never road one. Any ritchey owners out there? I thought this frame might tempt a steel fan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Ritchey-56cm-Road-Frame-Forks-Custom-Color_W0QQitemZ7247978137QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

trymorecowbell
06-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Raced one of his handmade frames about 25yrs ago. Before his name was "big" and when he did everything himself in Palo Alto. It was a nice ride and a beautiful frame. This frame looks to be the about the same 80's vintage. Reynolds 531, lugless brass brazing, sloping fork crown, campy dropouts, cinelli BB shell.

stevep
06-09-2006, 06:33 AM
have a cross bike now for maybe 8-9 years. light tubing. tange prestige.
its a nice bike but does not have enough clearance for even medium width cross tires. it does ride well though and i use it now for a winter/ fender road bike.

mosca
06-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the link - if that frame were slightly larger, I would probably be compelled to bid on it.

I remember seeing a Ritchey mountain bike, sometime in the late '70s. It was the first custom frame I had ever seen, and the first true mountain bike as well. I was in high school at the time, and I remember being flabbergasted that someone would pay $500 for a frameset! I now have weakness for fillet-brazed steel, probably as a result of this experience.

Lunar Probe
06-09-2006, 02:46 PM
I remember them being beautiful, but I never road one. Any ritchey owners out there? I thought this frame might tempt a steel fan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Ritchey-56cm-Road-Frame-Forks-Custom-Color_W0QQitemZ7247978137QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I had one in the early 90s. I thought it was one of the most responsive steel frames I'd owned at that point.

pdonk
06-09-2006, 03:35 PM
My first high end bike was a 1988 ritchey mtb. It was lost in a fire, still wish i had it, even though it was clearly too small for me when I bought it.

72gmc
06-09-2006, 03:38 PM
have a cross bike now for maybe 8-9 years. light tubing. tange prestige.
its a nice bike but does not have enough clearance for even medium width cross tires. it does ride well though and i use it now for a winter/ fender road bike.

Is that a Swiss Cross? I've always wanted one of those, for reasons I can't really define... I just do. The Ibis Hakkalugi sits in the same mental folder.