PDA

View Full Version : Campy Ergo Tabs - Bad to pull up on them with index finger?

K u r t
02-22-2016, 12:01 PM
When climbing with hands on bar tops, my index fingers often sneak around the tabs of my Ergo levers, and pull up on them - sometimes with force.

I'd be more powerful at times (and use more muscles) if I could rely on this lever point w/o concern of breakage from pulling UP too hard!

Does anyone have experience with this? And can the tab withstand say, 20-30 lbs of upward pressure?

https://kbeitler.smugmug.com/Kurt/i-StCnHfQ/0/M/DSC_0155%20%282%29-M.jpg

Tony T
02-22-2016, 12:03 PM
That's a habit I would try to break
The lever was made to press down. Pulling up with force can't be a good idea.

FlashUNC
02-22-2016, 12:05 PM
That's just begging to break the index disc or something else inside the shifter.

I don't see how that generates any more leverage than just pulling up on the tops.

AngryScientist
02-22-2016, 12:08 PM
yea, you dont want to do that.

thirdgenbird
02-22-2016, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't worry about the index disc. In this position, the force is probably going to the rather large internal shaft.

The weak link will probably be the rivot the thumb button itself pivots on to engage the shifter disc. If this bends or gets slip in it, it will cause shifting issues. In short, I wouldn't do it.

sokyroadie
02-22-2016, 12:48 PM
That does not look very comfortable at all - YMMV
I couldn't even reach it if I wanted to.

Jeff

-dustin
02-22-2016, 01:05 PM
(personally, i don't think it'd be a huge deal, but...) bigger issue might be the sweat that gathers there and corrodes the spring and/ or rivet that it pivots on, preventing the thumb button from going back to it's happy place. if doesn't return fully, it'll keep the index gear engaged and won't allow you to shift into a lower gear.

Tony T
02-22-2016, 01:43 PM
That does not look very comfortable at all - YMMV
I couldn't even reach it if I wanted to.

Jeff

It's actually comfortable to rest your finger on it. I just would not apply upward pressure.

oldpotatoe
02-22-2016, 01:49 PM
When climbing with hands on bar tops, my index fingers often sneak around the tabs of my Ergo levers, and pull up on them - sometimes with force.

I'd be more powerful at times (and use more muscles) if I could rely on this lever point w/o concern of breakage from pulling UP too hard!

Does anyone have experience with this? And can the tab withstand say, 20-30 lbs of upward pressure?

https://kbeitler.smugmug.com/Kurt/i-StCnHfQ/0/M/DSC_0155%20%282%29-M.jpg

They pivot and can get bent or break. When they jam against teeth of index gear, no more shift. Easy to fix but I'd find someone place to hang onto, IMHO.

K u r t
02-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Thanks, gents - I appreciate your insight!

Sadly this is not the first time I've been told where to stick my fingers.