PDA

View Full Version : Speedvagen 2016 Road Guidebook

estilley
02-22-2016, 10:48 AM
2016 Speedvagen Road Guidebook is posted...

Some cool stuff in there!

http://www.thevanillaworkshop.com/2016-road-guidebook

Cameron
02-22-2016, 11:08 AM
I was checking that out this weekend. This... this is the one that really speaks to me:

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/12530808_544452842381998_834462908_n.jpg

weisan
02-22-2016, 11:33 AM
It seems like the wonderful folks at Vanilla have spent a lot of thought into this...pushing the envelop. Very similar to Firefly.

chiasticon
02-22-2016, 11:38 AM
I was checking that out this weekend. This... this is the one that really speaks to me:same. that color just SLAYS me! :eek:

madsciencenow
02-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Agree, that color is sexy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

livingminimal
02-22-2016, 01:09 PM
That lavender is amazing.

has anyone gone through and added up all the options to determine the highest possible price of an out-the-door Vanilla?

It would get quite insane with all of the extras.

Cameron
02-22-2016, 01:18 PM
has anyone gone through and added up all the options to determine the highest possible price of an out-the-door Vanilla?

It would get quite insane with all of the extras.

You can hit $20K for a complete if you really want.

Joachim
02-22-2016, 01:42 PM
There is an upcharge for full custom which is understandable, but then a fitting is billed separately?

velomonkey
02-22-2016, 01:57 PM
It's like Sasha has a time machine - that Vagen, my friends, is a slim chance circa 1995ish.

Someone else should have grabbed that color, but I guess Vanilla get the prize.

Cameron
02-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Someone else should have grabbed that color, but I guess Vanilla get the prize.

My Geekhouse is almost the same lavender... Maybe Marty used the time machine first?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HPO77k-xeyI/VrjO1hJjwxI/AAAAAAAAJIE/0p5ObV8xm3E/s720-Ic42/IMG_5957.JPG

ORMojo
02-22-2016, 02:10 PM
You can hit $20K for a complete if you really want.

Heck, I just hit $24k with options listed in the Guidebook. That doesn't include options included in the book with no price listed, or the option to have them build it with custom components.

My favorite, under "Additional Fees" is this: "packaging and materials: complete bike $275, frameset $130"

Chris
02-22-2016, 02:17 PM
Heck, I just hit $24k with options listed in the Guidebook. That doesn't include options included in the book with no price listed, or the option to have them build it with custom components.

My favorite, under "Additional Fees" is this: "packaging and materials: complete bike $275, frameset $130"

I don't know if you've ever seen one of their bike boxes or the way they ship it. I know it seems like a lot, but having shipped a lot of cycling stuff myself, those costs can get out of hand pretty easily. That's me shipping with newspaper and bubble wrap. The wood mount they use is pretty impressive.

ORMojo
02-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Yep, I've seen it, having visited the Vanilla Workshop many times over and gone through a few of their framesets. I wasn't necessarily criticizing the expense, just pointing out one example of the multiple pricing details spread across numerous price lists in the guidebook.

And to be clear - that $24k was arrived at as an exercise, no, I am not ordering one this year.

Chris
02-22-2016, 02:29 PM
Yep, I've seen it, having visited the Vanilla Workshop many times over and gone through a few of their framesets. I wasn't necessarily criticizing the expense, just pointing out one example of the multiple pricing details spread across numerous price lists in the guidebook.

And to be clear - that $24k was arrived at as an exercise, no, I am not ordering one this year.

You should. You deserve it... :)

livingminimal
02-22-2016, 03:57 PM

Yeah, I felt like I was reading a few things multiple times. There's the whole idea around you're buying a complete bike, but there is still a charge to build it up for you, sort of irks me too I suppose. I think I read that right.

pdmtong
02-22-2016, 04:10 PM
That lavender is amazing. has anyone gone through and added up all the options to determine the highest possible price of an out-the-door Vanilla? It would get quite insane with all of the extras.

The OPPOSITE of your ask really appeals to me
$3450 f/f
$150 ship
DONE.

It is a completely slippery slope to start loading up a SV and making it pretty over the top. of course I get it, the aesthetic is unmatched. But if/when I get one, it will be base. Maybe leave the stops off if eTAP proves out.

FlashUNC
02-22-2016, 04:13 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love the paintwork and what they've built up there with COAT and all the bells and whistles they can throw on a bike.

But isn't that kinda anti-thetical to the original SV spirit? It all seems the opposite of the no-frills race bike idea. Seems like quite a few frills actually.

jds108
02-22-2016, 04:41 PM
But isn't that kinda anti-thetical to the original SV spirit? It all seems the opposite of the no-frills race bike idea. Seems like quite a few frills actually.

I would have said the same thing, but I think it's an easy guess that they're just giving their customers what they're asking for.

FlashUNC
02-22-2016, 04:43 PM
I would have said the same thing, but I think it's an easy guess that they're just giving their customers what they're asking for.

Fair enough, it is a pretty cool paint shop they've put together there.

livingminimal
02-22-2016, 04:47 PM
$3450 f/f
$150 ship
DONE.

It is a completely slippery slope to start loading up a SV and making it pretty over the top. of course I get it, the aesthetic is unmatched. But if/when I get one, it will be base. Maybe leave the stops off if eTAP proves out.

I completely agree.

I think the best looking bike in the catalog is the matte army green ghost.

Just gimme the frame and fork (routed for Di2/Disc) and I will do the rest.

velomonkey
02-22-2016, 04:57 PM
$3450 f/f
$150 ship
DONE.

That is the way to do a Vagen, but . . . most Vagens have a matching stem. Because . . . reasons.

pdmtong
02-22-2016, 05:20 PM
That lavender is amazing.
yea, its kind of a manly lavendar, if there is such a description. I like it too. but would chose the MF gold. YOLO!

Don't get me wrong, I love the paintwork and what they've built up there with COAT and all the bells and whistles they can throw on a bike. But isn't that kinda anti-thetical to the original SV spirit? It all seems the opposite of the no-frills race bike idea. Seems like quite a few frills actually.
You'd like a delorean to the SV application time period, back when you fill out this wacky form as to why they should want to build one for you, attach some kind of talisman to the application like a feather or piece of wood?
Those 2006-10 frames are nothing like the manipulation on the 2011 to current frames.

I'm glad they haven't mandated tapered on the SVs. The look as I saw implemented on the urban racer really hit me differently dependent on color of the frame and the headset. some I loved. some I didn't care for.

Short of metallurgy on the tubset, hasn't he done pretty much all that can be done on the current mechanical SV? It seems like their innovation level with paint has matched their innovation with fabrication, relatively speaking.

Getting a painted enve stem is kinda like getting a moots stem. it's the last piece. On my moots I went for the post over the stem to give the frame a sort of ISP look (integrated binder). one day, when I find a spare $400 I will do the stem. maybe.

I guess I am in the camp to either go basic or go all in. Option prices went up this year...notice that?

R3awak3n
02-22-2016, 05:21 PM
I loved being one of the only people with a lavender bike, now it all changes

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/spooky-havocstaff-13331_7.jpg

joosttx
02-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Really pissed they are not offering "the first scratch option" for $10 this year. I guess it wasnt a big seller.

FlashUNC
02-22-2016, 05:39 PM
yea, its kind of a manly lavendar, if there is such a description. I like it too. but would chose the MF gold. YOLO!

You'd like a delorean to the SV application time period, back when you fill out this wacky form as to why they should want to build one for you, attach some kind of talisman to the application like a feather or piece of wood?
Those 2006-10 frames are nothing like the manipulation on the 2011 to current frames.

I'm glad they haven't mandated tapered on the SVs. The look as I saw implemented on the urban racer really hit me differently dependent on color of the frame and the headset. some I loved. some I didn't care for.

Short of metallurgy on the tubset, hasn't he done pretty much all that can be done on the current mechanical SV? It seems like their innovation level with paint has matched their innovation with fabrication, relatively speaking.

Getting a painted enve stem is kinda like getting a moots stem. it's the last piece. On my moots I went for the post over the stem to give the frame a sort of ISP look (integrated binder). one day, when I find a spare $400 I will do the stem. maybe.

I guess I am in the camp to either go basic or go all in. Option prices went up this year...notice that?

I agree the migration to this business model is a net positive for the customer -- you remove all that hinky stuff that used to get you into the queue -- but these are pretty far from no frills race bikes I think, when COAT is doing the kind of paint schemes they are.

I do like the repair program though. Guess that is some incentive to ride the crap outta them.

bcroslin
02-22-2016, 05:54 PM
Sasha gets it. Vanilla is a lifestyle brand. Vanilla bikes are luxury items to be attained. More power to him.

Peter P.
02-22-2016, 06:02 PM
I think Speedvagen has hit on a very attractive marketing program.

The frames have a lot of desirable and well thought out features.

The paint jobs are clearly the hook, and we're the fish!

Delivery is now in months whereas the Speedvagen program was formerly a once-a-year event.

The prices are certainly higher than virtually all typical custom TIG welded frames but I think it's justified.

I hope the program continues for many years.

Ryun
02-22-2016, 06:25 PM
While the options can get crazy, I do like that they are all laid out in the open with costs clearly labelled. Other very good shops offer a ton of options (like Firefly whom I also love) to match/customize but it isnt as clear cut. The menu style pricing, i think it a nice mix. It allows you to really pick what you want the bike to be and its all up front. I know the turnaround time has much improved and the level of detail keeps getting higher.

Im not sure the pricing is that out of whack either. I know they are an easy target because they are so up front about it but a painted HSS bike from Firefly for example with di2 runs 11600. I love my HSS firefly but it is arguably lacking some details SV includes that may or may not be important to you (thats why there is 31 flavors of ice cream): isp, custom brake bridge, the stainless bits on the dropouts, di2 ports etc.
As pdmtong mentioned the tube manipulation has to be seen to be fully appreciated. While I loved my OG SV, the new ones are more refined.

All that being said, It has moved from the basic road race frame that it started out as but then so has IF and a few others. Again, I fully believe that is market driven.

I think there is roomin the market for something closer to the chris king ceilo road racer. Clearly more basic and cookie cutter but very capable.But we will see.

Ultimately, if I were toeing it up on a more regular basis, a caad whatevernumberweareon with ultegra di2 would be plenty fine in the cat2 field so anything more than that is just a want and not a need.

Ryun
02-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Oh yeah and that lavendar is hot

FlashUNC
02-22-2016, 06:51 PM
A somewhat separate question: Is COAT painting any stuff independent of what's coming out of the Vanilla workshop these days?

Ryun
02-22-2016, 07:00 PM
A somewhat separate question: Is COAT painting any stuff independent of what's coming out of the Vanilla workshop these days?
I may be wrong but...
I havent really heard them referring to it as COAT paint much these days and nothing has been updated in flikr for a while. I think with constant SV production and the recent increase in VAnilla my GUESS is that it has folded into SVs normal production.

pdmtong
02-22-2016, 07:38 PM
I may be wrong but...
I haven't really heard them referring to it as COAT paint much these days and nothing has been updated in flikr for a while. I think with constant SV production and the recent increase in VAnilla my GUESS is that it has folded into SVs normal production.

Ny observation is a few things have faded...
1) COAT as a separate branded entity. Paint is just part of "the vanilla workshop"
2) Identification of who is actually on the torch for the SVs. 2007ish it was Mike DeSalvo.

Vanilla (not SV) has also evolved. If you are on the list now, it is for a specific genre. And, you get the genre incarnated the way Sacha (and not, for the 1000th time, "sasha") wants to build it. You pick the geometry and color ... no more have it your way build me whatever you can imagine.

kitsnob
02-22-2016, 11:34 PM
While the options can get crazy, I do like that they are all laid out in the open with costs clearly labelled. Other very good shops offer a ton of options (like Firefly whom I also love) to match/customize but it isnt as clear cut. The menu style pricing, i think it a nice mix. It allows you to really pick what you want the bike to be and its all up front. I know the turnaround time has much improved and the level of detail keeps getting higher.

Im not sure the pricing is that out of whack either. I know they are an easy target because they are so up front about it but a painted HSS bike from Firefly for example with di2 runs 11600. I love my HSS firefly but it is arguably lacking some details SV includes that may or may not be important to you (thats why there is 31 flavors of ice cream): isp, custom brake bridge, the stainless bits on the dropouts, di2 ports etc.
As pdmtong mentioned the tube manipulation has to be seen to be fully appreciated. While I loved my OG SV, the new ones are more refined.

All that being said, It has moved from the basic road race frame that it started out as but then so has IF and a few others. Again, I fully believe that is market driven.

I think there is roomin the market for something closer to the chris king ceilo road racer. Clearly more basic and cookie cutter but very capable.But we will see.

Ultimately, if I were toeing it up on a more regular basis, a caad whatevernumberweareon with ultegra di2 would be plenty fine in the cat2 field so anything more than that is just a want and not a need.

RYUN and others:
Isn't it too "pretty" of a bike to be mixing it up in ANY field?
I mean, do you really want to risk an 11K "investment" with the possibility of crashing, scratching, denting or otherwise F*ing it up?
There are guys I know out here in So Cal who have these 10, 11 ,
12K "investments" yet they race some carbon "beater bike" that might have set them back 3K.

weaponsgrade
02-22-2016, 11:53 PM
I like how they did the rear disc brake. First thing I thought of when I saw the lavender was the Yo Eddy Team Violet (which is one of my favs). Looks like the tech startups had better up their signing bonuses:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/22/technology/caution-rebuffed-unicorns-and-other-start-ups-fixate-on-rainbows.html?_r=0

chiasticon
02-23-2016, 07:21 AM
Isn't it too "pretty" of a bike to be mixing it up in ANY field?yeah this is my issue with nice bikes in general. and I don't just mean SV, this can apply to basically any custom builder but also high-priced carbon. it's hard for me to stomach the idea of scratching the hell out of something that beautiful just because I leaned a little too far to the left on an off-camber section, or whatever. all because I'm trying to win a water bottle and some chain lube. :banana:

and that's before we even get into the idea of price. don't get me wrong, I race some damn nice bikes. but there's a point where I'm like "nope, it's too nice to race."

oldpotatoe
02-23-2016, 07:25 AM

If it's a Vanilla, means you 'may' get it in...........2023??....:D

livingminimal
02-23-2016, 07:32 AM
yeah this is my issue with nice bikes in general. and I don't just mean SV, this can apply to basically any custom builder but also high-priced carbon. it's hard for me to stomach the idea of scratching the hell out of something that beautiful just because I leaned a little too far to the left on an off-camber section, or whatever. all because I'm trying to win a water bottle and some chain lube. :banana:

and that's before we even get into the idea of price. don't get me wrong, I race some damn nice bikes. but there's a point where I'm like "nope, it's too nice to race."

Agree with you.

I'd be interested to know the % of SVs sold that actually are raced. I do think there is a difference between building a "race machine" and racing your machine. A lot of people (me included) even in our steel custom bikes want the fit, look, and feel of a race bike but won't ever race them on the road.

Cross is a more interesting platform for these bikes IMO. I think there are a far larger % of SV cross owners that actually race their bikes simply because cross is a more race specific application...which then has me asking how many folks do the full bells&whistles SV cross rig and race it, or how many are just keeping it down to FFHS with basic paint.

velomonkey
02-23-2016, 07:41 AM
Agree with you.

I'd be interested to know the % of SVs sold that actually are raced. I do think there is a difference between building a "race machine" and racing your machine. A lot of people (me included) even in our steel custom bikes want the fit, look, and feel of a race bike but won't ever race them on the road.

You're totally right here - the odds of someone paying $3500 starting price for a steal frame and racing it has gotta be in single digits. I'd like a SV, and will probably get one at some point, but make no mistake literally almost every single other bike is a better value dollar to performance.

My Firefly does get raced, not sure what I will do with the colango. Years ago when I had my blue/white C59 and I babied it I rode with a dude that had the same bike-same color and he did race it and the scars from racing actually made his bike somewhat cooler.

sandyrs
02-23-2016, 08:25 AM
If it's a Vanilla, means you 'may' get it in...........2023??....:D

Speedvagen's turnaround is pretty quick, particularly relative to their sibling brand :D

tumbler
02-23-2016, 08:42 AM
You're totally right here - the odds of someone paying $3500 starting price for a steal frame and racing it has gotta be in single digits.

A steal frame should be free, no? :beer:

Chris
02-23-2016, 08:42 AM
You're totally right here - the odds of someone paying $3500 starting price for a steal frame and racing it has gotta be in single digits. I'd like a SV, and will probably get one at some point, but make no mistake literally almost every single other bike is a better value dollar to performance.

My Firefly does get raced, not sure what I will do with the colango. Years ago when I had my blue/white C59 and I babied it I rode with a dude that had the same bike-same color and he did race it and the scars from racing actually made his bike somewhat cooler.

I've had my Speedvagen since 2010. I've raced it every year since. It has some battle scars, but has held up well. I've raced this bike longer than any other I've owned without the urge to get something else.

thegunner
02-23-2016, 08:55 AM
yeah this is my issue with nice bikes in general. and I don't just mean SV, this can apply to basically any custom builder but also high-priced carbon. it's hard for me to stomach the idea of scratching the hell out of something that beautiful just because I leaned a little too far to the left on an off-camber section, or whatever. all because I'm trying to win a water bottle and some chain lube. :banana:

sacha does this thing where if you totally f-up your bike, he'll replace the tube (with faster turnaround time than standard builds) and paint it however he desires. it won't match, it won't look showroom, but it's meant to be a battle scar of you actually racing it.

i'm probably going to use mine this year for racing eventually.

Ryun
02-23-2016, 09:19 AM
I've raced mine in some training crits.

My issue with nice race bikes is not usually the racing but the travel wear and tear. Now that I don't race as much and don't spend time in hotels with a bunch of other bikes or shoved in the back of a window less van traveling to wherever.
If that were still my thing, I'd have an unpainted ti bike or maybe a coated alum bike.

Resprays with sv are pretty reasonable and mine was turned around in under a month with shipping.

velomonkey
02-23-2016, 09:24 AM
If that were still my thing, I'd have an unpainted ti bike or maybe a coated alum bike.

Exactly my rationale for racing my firefly - it gets knocked over and someone leans their bike against it or whatever it aint gonna be my frame that suffers. If there were a big crash or whatever I am confident Kevin and co at firefly would work with me to get me back on a firefly.

Only other bikes I raced that weren't sponsored Land shark every model of Cannondale since the 2.8

chiasticon
02-23-2016, 10:26 AM
If that were still my thing, I'd have an unpainted ti bike or maybe a coated alum bike.yep. both my race bikes (cross) are Ti. partially for the lovely ride and partially because they wear (and clean up) well.

denapista
02-23-2016, 11:07 AM
Speedvagen has been doing Lavender for years now...

I wanted to repaint my frame in Lavender at one point.

years ago at LA Spooky Cross, there was a guy with a SSCX Lavender Speedvagen bike. So clean. That was like 2012 or so, maybe earlier.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5468/7186969998_3c2cd30bc5_c.jpg

pdmtong
02-23-2016, 01:48 PM
Agree with you.

Cross is a more interesting platform for these bikes IMO. I think there are a far larger % of SV cross owners that actually race their bikes simply because cross is a more race specific application...which then has me asking how many folks do the full bells&whistles SV cross rig and race it, or how many are just keeping it down to FFHS with basic paint.

I don't race road, but I do like the so-called race geo or stage race geo or go fast geo for my road bike, as opposed to the endurance tall head tube geo.

CX - a SV CX would be wasted on me. I am not in the mix and when buried in the pack of other folks with modest skills the last thing I would need is for my ultra bling SV CX to be taken out in a corner by some guy on a Raleigh mtb with a Blackburn rack.

this said, the old addage - don't race what you can;t replace - applies.

I am NOT against blingiing out a SV...I am just saying that I'm not ready to prioritize that over a better group or wheels or tuition.

Steve in SLO
02-23-2016, 06:47 PM
Those 2006-10 frames are nothing like the manipulation on the 2011 to current frames

Interesting you say that, my '09 Roadvagen looks very much similar to the current offering with the exception that my seat cluster is fillet brazed where the current production looks to be TIGed. The biovalized downtube and rear triangle look identical to a friend of mine's '13 Roadvagen.
Is the tubing drawn differently or something?

pdmtong
02-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Interesting you say that, my '09 Roadvagen looks very much similar to the current offering with the exception that my seat cluster is fillet brazed where the current production looks to be TIGed. The biovalized downtube and rear triangle look identical to a friend of mine's '13 Roadvagen.
Is the tubing drawn differently or something?

The 2010 and earlier I have seen only the DT in the main triangle is manipulated - 2011-current every tube is manipulated and the rear more so.

I did not know the seat cluster was ever FB'd...that's sweet

crankles
02-23-2016, 07:07 PM

I actually think the changes are pretty minor. My 2008 has a different, lighter top tube and seat topper from my 2007, but they have all the same crazy swaging as my 2015.

Are you referring to the custom butting, the carbon seatpost option, or maybe the machining of the headtubes?

Ryun
02-23-2016, 07:26 PM
My early one which I think was an 08 did not have the flatter seat stays that my newer one has and the dt is a slightly different shape

livingminimal
02-23-2016, 08:01 PM
I don't race road, but I do like the so-called race geo or stage race geo or go fast geo for my road bike, as opposed to the endurance tall head tube geo.

Same boat as me.

CX - a SV CX would be wasted on me. I am not in the mix and when buried in the pack of other folks with modest skills the last thing I would need is for my ultra bling SV CX to be taken out in a corner by some guy on a Raleigh mtb with a Blackburn rack.

Also same as me.

I am NOT against blingiing out a SV...I am just saying that I'm not ready to prioritize that over a better group or wheels or tuition.

Im pretty sure we're related. Or at least are going to star in Stepbrothers II.

pdmtong
02-23-2016, 08:22 PM
I actually think the changes are pretty minor. My 2008 has a different, lighter top tube and seat topper from my 2007, but they have all the same crazy swaging as my 2015. Are you referring to the custom butting, the carbon seatpost option, or maybe the machining of the headtubes?
oddly, I can only conclude from the various comments there was variance. maybe you get swaging if the application was more innovative. fyi, you prolly don't recall some crazy asian guy (me) looking at your Evil Knievel sv cx and you then offering to let me spin it around the parking area at one of the BASPS 'sticks. my daughter won juniors at sierra point twice and this year flatted before the finish and ended up second. me, I'm waaaaay off the back.
My early one which I think was an 08 did not have the flatter seat stays that my newer one has and the dt is a slightly different shape
yup, early ones SS more round not flat. a buddy just scored a new 2013 SV SM and is going to eTAP it in a month...I'll have another look then.
Im pretty sure we're related. Or at least are going to star in Stepbrothers II.
given your other posts, we do see the bike world similarly in many ways...

Steve in SLO
02-23-2016, 09:09 PM
The 2010 and earlier I have seen only the DT in the main triangle is manipulated - 2011-current every tube is manipulated and the rear more so.

I did not know the seat cluster was ever FB'd...that's sweet
Here are a few shots of my '09 showing the manipulated top tube and rear triangle, as well as a pic of my Anvil CX bike from early 2000s, featuring the manipulated rear triangle, which, according to someone in the know started as a Dedacciai mountain bike rear triangle originally made by Don Ferris of Anvil for Sacha. You can see the DNA from the Anvil to the SV

crankles
02-24-2016, 12:25 PM
found some pics. pretty sure the 2007 seat stays, bi-oval downtube, and tear drop top tubes are S3. Chainstays are Deda? not sure about the ST or HT. I *think* the newer SVs use a Spirit Bi-oval downtube now...

ps. This frame has been raced pretty hard for the last 8 years. I recently sold it to much younger co-worker who raced it even harder this past season. It's still going strong. IN that same time period, I've broken two carbon cx frames.

joep2517
02-25-2016, 08:39 PM

Has SV made many changes since 2011? Is there a ride difference between a 2011 and today's frame?

pdmtong
02-25-2016, 09:38 PM
Has SV made many changes since 2011? Is there a ride difference between a 2011 and today's frame?
I am not the expert but my point was there was an inflection point differentiating the 2010 and earlier frames I have seen versus the 2011 to current. I think calling jenn would be best.

crankles
02-26-2016, 01:10 PM

speaking for the cx bikes, not in my opinion. I even had to race two bikes back to back this past season. I pretty good test, as it was exactly the same course, with a similar wheel/tire setup. I raced the 2015 geared bike in a masters race immediately followed by the SS race, where I used the 2008 rig. I didn't notice any ride difference. Granted, I was hypoxic and cross-eyed most of the time, but what I can say is that they handled the same. I had the lines pretty dialed by the 2nd race and made no changes.

I think the real difference by be weight. They've been able to dial in the butt-lengths and have them custom drawn for each size frame...saving a few oz. here and there.

joep2517
02-26-2016, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys. I was just curious. I'll reach out to Jenn and talk with her to get any specifics.

rphetteplace
03-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Ny observation is a few things have faded...
1) COAT as a separate branded entity. Paint is just part of "the vanilla workshop"
2) Identification of who is actually on the torch for the SVs. 2007ish it was Mike DeSalvo.

Vanilla (not SV) has also evolved. If you are on the list now, it is for a specific genre. And, you get the genre incarnated the way Sacha (and not, for the 1000th time, "sasha") wants to build it. You pick the geometry and color ... no more have it your way build me whatever you can imagine.

Mike has not welded these bikes for several years now.

phutterman
03-02-2016, 12:09 PM
found some pics. pretty sure the 2007 seat stays, bi-oval downtube, and tear drop top tubes are S3. Chainstays are Deda? not sure about the ST or HT. I *think* the newer SVs use a Spirit Bi-oval downtube now...

ps. This frame has been raced pretty hard for the last 8 years. I recently sold it to much younger co-worker who raced it even harder this past season. It's still going strong. IN that same time period, I've broken two carbon cx frames.

Hah, when I saw that I thought it looked familiar. I know Will and that SV well.

chiasticon
03-02-2016, 12:25 PM
I even had to race two bikes back to back this past season.you poor, poor thing :rolleyes:

seriously though, your old light blue cx 'vagen...ugh...so good! :eek: