PDA

View Full Version : I Rode SRAM's Force Today.

Bill Bove
06-08-2006, 06:38 PM
My Orbea rep came by with a 2007 Opal today with SRAM's Force group on it. I got to take it for a spin. I wasn't interested in the bike itself as I've already ridden it but I did ride for about two miles to get a feel for the shifting.

I am not terribly impressed. It is a comprimise between Campy and Shimano and you know when you try to comprimise nobody is happy. The hoods are slightly larger than Campy and lack the bulb of the Shimano. The actual shifting Bio mechanics are easy to pick up, push it in to go up the cogs, touch it to go down. Really easy. The shift itself is stiffer than Shimano but not as stiff as Campy. Like I said, a comprimise. I do not think many people will "upgrade" To SRAM. The Force gruop is lighter than Dura-Ace and will be significantly less expensive. Close to 400 bucks less. I think the market will associate Force with Ultegra and Rival with 105 because of the proximity in price. I'm not planning on stocking either Force or Rival as components but will put a bike with both on the floor. I think Rival will outsell Force due to the person buying an entry level enthusiast bike will not have any prejudgidices to either Campy or Shimano.

There is one place where Force does blow away both Campy and Shimano. The abilty to drop a gear in an all out sprint is so much easier and precise with Force. If your livelihood depends on getting across the finish line first you will be riding Force. Period. It is that much better. Because the inner lever is both the down shift and upshift lever you can squeeze the lever in close to the bar and hold it with your fingers wrapped tightly around both the bar and shifter allowing you to just twitch the lever to get a bigger gear. Really fantastic to sprint on. But I just don't see it being any better all around than what is already out there to cause me to switch. Not yet. Of course yammv :D

Smiley
06-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Bill , I think the ergonomics of the Lever shape and the proximity of pulling in the lever to shift will favor women and men with small hands , I think that's where the BEFF is with this grouppo, many thanks for your insightful review. Smiley

Bill Bove
06-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Good point Smiley, wear a hat and nobody will notice :banana: Ahh, I kill myself :banana: I wasn't thinking about that as I rode it, good selling point to remember. I'll should consider that more when it comes time to put smaller sizes on the floor. I do have a women friend who I would never even think about showing this group to though, it will confuse her so much after just getting used to Shimao after years of blissfull Campy happiness that she may never get either right again :crap:

swoop
06-08-2006, 07:26 PM
i've been fighting dura ace in sprints all year. it was so easy with campy to just jam your thumb down and grab a gear (i start a sprint in the easiest gear i can tolerate until i can spin it out.. i just get a faster acceration).... i'm a small dude.. and i slow down when i shift mid sprint on dura ace. it's really messed up some finishes.

Tailwinds
06-08-2006, 07:41 PM
i've been fighting dura ace in sprints all year. it was so easy with campy to just jam your thumb down and grab a gear (i start a sprint in the easiest gear i can tolerate until i can spin it out.. i just get a faster acceration

I found the opposite to be true. It's hard to get my thumb up and over the shift lever w/Campy. I prefer Shimano for sprinting... but I am not racing these days so it doesn't matter.

It would be interesting to try the new SRAM group. Thanks for the review, Bill.

yeehawfactor
06-08-2006, 08:29 PM
the thing i noticed about the shifting was that downshifts were very very crisp and easy, while upshifts seemed like they required throwing the lever a great distance. also, when i returned to my dura-ace hoods it felt like i was sinking into them. i'm not sure how i feel about the whole missing tooth thing.

swoop
06-08-2006, 09:43 PM
the missing tooth is supposed to make a smoother shift, no? i'm curious to swing a leg over it just to see if the hoods feel good. i still think campy's got it the most right. i'm surprised how much i like the high knob-ishness that are dura ace hoods.

woolly
06-08-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm currently riding 9-spd Dura Ace on my Anvil, and have heard that the shape of 10-spd Dura Ace hoods effectively lengthen your reach by close to a cm. Haven't tried it myself, though, so it may be urband legend.

How do the SRAM hoods compare, reach-wise?

Bill Bove
06-09-2006, 04:35 AM
Campy like in reach.

Too Tall
06-09-2006, 05:50 AM
Thanks BB.
Another "point". Where are the hoods relative to DA9 and Campy 10? I'm REALLY not a fan of DA10 hoods. Really smart guys have designed REALLY great bikes for me and I ain't about to use shorter stems and skrew up the weight dist. of PERFECT bikes!!!

flydhest
06-09-2006, 07:23 AM
Bill,

Didn't we learn in another thread that the truth is in the middle ground? Maybe the compromise is a good thing?

Seriously, though, thanks for the review. I know it satisfied (or stoked) appetite of lots of us for news on the new group.

yeehawfactor
06-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks BB.
Another "point". Where are the hoods relative to DA9 and Campy 10? I'm REALLY not a fan of DA10 hoods. Really smart guys have designed REALLY great bikes for me and I ain't about to use shorter stems and skrew up the weight dist. of PERFECT bikes!!!
un da10 like, more campy 10/da 9 like

davids
06-09-2006, 08:48 AM
...i'm not sure how i feel about the whole missing tooth thing.
http://gmeasleydds.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/impbefore.jpg.w180h261.jpg

Avispa
06-09-2006, 01:22 PM
http://gmeasleydds.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/impbefore.jpg.w180h261.jpg

Hey is this a picture of Tailwinds? :D :D

Bill,

I wonder how good this SRAM stuff will feel after some heavy use. I know Campy gets better with time! just like wine.

I agree with Tailwinds, many women find Campy a bit hard to use, because their small hands...