PDA

View Full Version : kit for the muscle bound cyclist?

rkhatibi
02-21-2016, 06:11 PM
The core and general weightlifting over the last six months has paid off in better posture and less random back pain. And I enjoy it. However today's long ride in full kit was less comfortable than a few months ago. Particularly the shoulders, biceps, and arm holes.

Are there any brands/mdoels you'd recommend for the short and stout? 180lbs, 5' 6". Dress shirts are 17.5" 32/33 if that helps

ultraman6970
02-21-2016, 06:22 PM
I dont know if i got this right, you are doing weights and now you got more Schwarzenegger???

Cycling and a lot of muscle dont work together too well. What you can do is to get larger jersey sizes and maybe send them to get shorter or something?

I got a jersey in a lot I bought here that had the sleeves cut, both in the same place, clearly the other guy was bulky and needed more room.

If you are fairly fit and have pain problems all over probably is not a problem if core but a fit problem. What I usually ask in this cases... do you have a picture of yourself riding the bike? or a picture of your ride?

beeatnik
02-21-2016, 06:33 PM
Capo

GregL
02-21-2016, 06:40 PM
Call Voler. Many years ago, they made a custom skinsuit for me with XL sleeves and chest and an L bottom half. No sure if they still do custom sizing, but it's worth a phone call.

- Greg

rkhatibi
02-21-2016, 06:41 PM
Ha, I suppose I was too subtle. This is strictly I packed on more muscle up top and now nothing fits well problem. And I'm too short to go up a size without it looking ridiculous in most cases.

In regards to pain, that's working in an office and too many injuries over the years. If I don't stay on top of the core, I pay for it within a month. However the big muscle work has been useful in evening a lot of the tension from side to side and top to bottom.

You make a good point, modification may be the way to go. Adding an underarm gusset (or something similar) would be my preference over shortening the length though a more complicated mod to do right.

spartanKid
02-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Arnold had the right idea

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/81/83/7f/81837fb1c280dfb43e8db347496159ed.jpg

rkhatibi
02-21-2016, 07:28 PM
I like the responsible party must have said at some point. "Yeah, let's have him wear the weightlifting belt. That'll make this look legit." :banana:

Arnold had the right idea

shovelhd
02-21-2016, 08:09 PM
Go for the club for and size up.

Lovetoclimb
02-21-2016, 08:15 PM
Maybe check the new Kitsbow road line or even some of the MTB tops. They likely are cut for guys who a bit burlier than Froome.

Also I find the Rapha club and classics line to be significantly more of a loose cut than the pro team stuff. Coming from a college rowing background I often fit medium tops but really push the seams along the shoulders and lats.

oldpotatoe
02-22-2016, 08:29 AM
I dont know if i got this right, you are doing weights and now you got more Schwarzenegger???

Cycling and a lot of muscle dont work together too well. What you can do is to get larger jersey sizes and maybe send them to get shorter or something?

I got a jersey in a lot I bought here that had the sleeves cut, both in the same place, clearly the other guy was bulky and needed more room.

If you are fairly fit and have pain problems all over probably is not a problem if core but a fit problem. What I usually ask in this cases... do you have a picture of yourself riding the bike? or a picture of your ride?

Proper cyclist build...:)

sandyrs
02-22-2016, 08:36 AM
The core and general weightlifting over the last six months has paid off in better posture and less random back pain. And I enjoy it. However today's long ride in full kit was less comfortable than a few months ago. Particularly the shoulders, biceps, and arm holes.

Are there any brands/mdoels you'd recommend for the short and stout? 180lbs, 5' 6". Dress shirts are 17.5" 32/33 if that helps

Check out Chris Hoy's line with Vulpine. It fits him right, so I'm sure it would fit you okay as well.

http://www.vulpine.cc/uk/hoy-vulpine

Sir Chris is the one in black here:

http://www.vulpine.cc/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/H/o/Hoy_Vulpine_AW15_286_1.jpg

fiamme red
02-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Go sleeveless.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697915430&stc=1&d=1456020323

ceolwulf
02-22-2016, 08:41 AM
Go sleeveless.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697915430&stc=1&d=1456020323

There is exactly one person that can pull off that look ...

seanile
02-22-2016, 08:59 AM
try wool?

verticaldoug
02-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Hoy's Vulpine is cut quite a bit bigger in the chest than most brands. The wool probably has more stretch too.
If a 41" 104cm chest works in a medium, go for it.

Otherwise, try Gore comfort fit in a jersey.

Curve_in
02-22-2016, 12:33 PM

I've always looked more like a running back than a cyclist. I've never found that one brand has arm holes that are consistently larger. Usually, the "club" fit is better, but most of the time, the difference between L and XL is just the length. I've got a few team jerseys that have the inside arm seam cut so that I can wear them.

RFC
02-22-2016, 01:47 PM
I've always looked more like a running back than a cyclist. I've never found that one brand has arm holes that are consistently larger. Usually, the "club" fit is better, but most of the time, the difference between L and XL is just the length. I've got a few team jerseys that have the inside arm seam cut so that I can wear them.

My situation exactly, which is why I really don't worry whether my jerseys are cycling specific or not.

The world is full of jerseys of all sizes, shapes and colors.

My favorite is my brillant red-orange the Flash jersey.:D

verticaldoug
02-22-2016, 03:20 PM

If Barry Bonds arms and chest can fit into assos, so can you...

Hilltopperny
02-22-2016, 04:11 PM
I am definitely a stocky guy with larger upper body muscles. I usu ally use pearl izumi gear and find that xl fits me well. I am 5'9" with no neck and run 185 in fight shape and can get as high as 225 if not exercising and eating right in the winter. I have a few different jerseys because of said fluctuation and do use sleeveless at times.

rkhatibi
02-22-2016, 10:37 PM
Some good stuff in here. Thanks you very much for the replies. I ordered the club and MTB versions from Voler and a Akita City from Hoy Vulpine.

Voler's website made it really easy to shop based on fit. Nice job on their part. Much harder on nearly every other website.