PDA

View Full Version : TI post in Steel frame

R3awak3n
02-21-2016, 09:42 AM
Searched on the web and answers seem to be all over the place. Can I just grease the seatpost or should I use something else?

dave thompson
02-21-2016, 09:55 AM
Searched on the web and answers seem to be all over the place. Can I just grease the seatpost or should I use something else?

Anti-seize will work as will a liberal application of your favorite grease.

R3awak3n
02-21-2016, 10:00 AM
thank you for the answer dave. Originally I used just grease. Have not used the bike all winter and went to ride it today, had to move the seatpost and noticed it was not as easy to move as it should be so it got me wondering. I am going to get some anti seize. Better safe than sorry.

oldpotatoe
02-21-2016, 01:04 PM

Good grease, antisieze is better but regardless, take it out a couple of times a year, clean, relube.

dave thompson
02-21-2016, 01:27 PM
I should have added what Peter said; take the post out, clean and relube. At the end of my riding season I'll perform whatever replacement, cleaning, overhaul, lubing before I put the bike away for the winter. That way it's fresh and ready to go the next spring and I've not forgotten to do something.

cachagua
02-21-2016, 05:28 PM
What would anti-seize do (in this application) that grease wouldn't?

Would anti-seize be better than grease if you put a steel post in a steel frame?

Never used the stuff except on some small ti bolts so I'm curious.

Also because I have ti posts in all my nice steel bikes, so hate to have something happen!

R3awak3n
02-21-2016, 05:45 PM
I do take the post out at least once a year.

I just got anti seize, $9 shipped I figured I will use it and have it for a while

K u r t
02-21-2016, 05:45 PM
Fully agreed on the annual clean & lube!:

Some years back I had a fantastic Record Ti post that (after lubing and leaving ~3 years in my Seven Axiom) was firmly seized in the seat tube. Note, these are 2 non-corrosive metals. I pulled and pulled with no result and then resorted to a rag under vice grips -- BIG no-no!!!

It caused a terrible dent in that beautiful post. All could've been avoided with just a little lube.

It's been tough to forgive myself of such idiocy. I still miss that sweet post.

kingpin75s
02-21-2016, 06:25 PM
...regardless, take it out a couple of times a year, clean, relube.

Most important part above.

Beyond that only functional difference I have seen is anti-seize has helped me remove the creak from a seat post that was noisy from grease alone.

oldpotatoe
02-22-2016, 06:31 AM
I do take the post out at least once a year.

I just got anti seize, $9 shipped I figured I will use it and have it for a while

I see you are in Brooklyn but any decent hardware or car parts place will have something like this...no need to order.

soulspinner
02-22-2016, 06:45 AM
No matter the post I take it out, clean it and reinstall with anti seize every 2000 miles or so. Probably overkill but this is one problem with a bike I have never had.

AngryScientist
02-22-2016, 06:56 AM
i give all my seatposts a blast of marine anti-corrosion spray. same stuff i use inside of the steel frames. knock on wood, i've never had a stuck post...

this stuff or similar from the LBS (local BOAT shop)

http://www.hannarv.com/Content/files/ProductImages/CRC-06026-Marine-Heavy-Duty-Corrosion-Inhibitor-10-Oz-Can-boat-protector-metal-electrical-engine-motor-Bayliner-Texas.jpg

p nut
02-22-2016, 08:48 AM
I've had a bottle for 10+ years. U mostly use it for auto repairs, but bike parts as well. Pretty much a lifetime supply, as I still have 80% left.

Available at your local auto parts store:
http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PER0/80078/N0490.oap?ck=Search_N0490_-1_2805&pt=N0490&ppt=C0139

velomonkey
02-22-2016, 08:52 AM
FYI you ever get a carbon post stuck in a ti frame (I assume this can work for any metal frame with a carbon post) - take a torch and heat it up at the seat tube and PRESTO.

I would assume a ti post wouldn't work as both metals would expand and negate the exercise. Anyway, sorry for the OT.

m_sasso
02-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Not all anti seize is the same, don't recall where this came from however it is good info!

COMPARISON OF ANTI-SEIZE TYPES
Historically there have been three basic types of Anti-Seize on the market:

COPPER BASE
Copper base anti-seize offers good corrosion protection on all kinds of steel, but not stainless steel. Copper on stainless steel creates an inter-crystaline corrosion, which can make actual stainless steel parts crack and break. This is why the nuclear power plants do not allow copper with any material which comes in contact with the stainless steel parts.
Temperature Range: 2200° F

ALUMINUM BASE
Aluminum as a base material for Anti-Seize is good for use on stainless steel, but cannot be used on carbon steel, due to the fact that when it comes in contact with an electrolyte it becomes an anode and since this anode is extremely small in volume compared to the large cathode of the steel, it usually deteriorates quickly, leaving no protection at all on the steel surface. Corrosion therefore takes place at a higher rate of speed, as if no anti-seize would have been present.
Temperature Range: 1470° F

NICKEL BASE
Nickel has been used extensively in Anti-Seize materials, because it has good anti-seize and corrosion protection for both steel and stainless steel. However, nickel has been for many years, on the list of carcinogens ( cancer producing products ) and should not be used in applications where nickel based anti-seize is used on materials handled in workshops.
Temperature Range: 2500° F

Elefantino
02-22-2016, 09:29 AM
I learned the hard way once with an old steel Serotta and a Thomson. Seized up bad. Had to soak the frame in ammonia for several days.

Now, regardless of frame or post materials, remove, clean, degrease/carbon paste at least once or twice a year.

p nut
03-03-2016, 11:19 AM
I was browsing Thomson's site, and this is their recommendation:

https://www.bikethomson.com/product/masterpiece-seatpost/

"Q: Should I grease my seatpost before installation?

A: A very light coat of grease is okay. Do not use anti-seize as it can cause slipping. To prevent sticking the post in the frame, remove, clean, and re-install it every 90 days. Do not use grease in a carbon fiber frame."

We're talking aluminum seat posts, but thought it was worth posting.