PDA

View Full Version : Brian Baylis RIP

LouDeeter
02-21-2016, 01:18 AM
It was with heavy heart that I read of the passing of Brian Baylis tonight from complications related to pneumonia. I've known Brian personally for over fifteen years, have owned six of his bikes, and still have three. He was an artist, a cyclist, and a friend. RIP.

tjg
02-21-2016, 01:32 AM
I have one of his bikes. I never met him face to face, but we spoke on the phone a number of times. Sad news.

CampyorBust
02-21-2016, 01:36 AM
His work is stunning. I am sorry for your loss Lou.

KidWok
02-21-2016, 02:31 AM
RIP

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/TaiLee77/2008%20NAHBS/IMGP1707.jpg

Tai

LouDeeter
02-21-2016, 05:43 AM
Here are pictures of one of my current Baylis bikes.

LouDeeter
02-21-2016, 05:47 AM
And here is his page from Classic Rendezvous: http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Baylis_main.htm

soulspinner
02-21-2016, 06:19 AM
Wow. Way too young. A true artisan gone.

Vonruden
02-21-2016, 06:39 AM
This is terible news, I have always admired his stunning work and hope one day own one of his masterpieces. Way too early. Thoughts and prayer to his family.

fuzzalow
02-21-2016, 07:41 AM
Saddening news. An esteemed builder from the first wave of American builder/craftsman in the world of quality lightweight bikes. A guy that marched to his own drum, literally in one respect as he was encyclopedic as an avid collector of vintage drum, and especially snare, kits.

I think of Mr. Baylis as a guy who loved bikes as a means to an end and did not partake of the whole builder-as-personality schtick as exploited by some. He was not entirely prolific in his output and never solicitous in courting for clients. I wanted to commission a Baylis frame but depending on where Mr. Baylis was at in his head at the time, he either took the commission or not. Mr. Baylis did his own thing. One cannot but admire that kind of panache.

RIP.

Kirk Pacenti
02-21-2016, 07:48 AM
This really is sad news. I had first met him 20 years ago and though we didn't get a chance to hang out or speak often, I always considered Brian a friend. Was sorry to sell my first Baylis, and always thought I would get another someday... Rest in peace, Brian.

MY Baylis: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9856980@N02/7734978884/in/dateposted-public/

tiretrax
02-21-2016, 09:02 AM
Very sad news and a great loss to the cycling world, although most won't realize it. RIP.

8aaron8
02-21-2016, 09:31 AM
Very sad news, a true artisan of his craft :(

Ken Robb
I used to ride with him on San Diego classic bike rides and party just a little occasionally. A really nice guy and fun to be with.

fiamme red
Shocking news.

He was quite a writer too. I used to read his posts on the Classic Rendezvous list with great interest and amusement. I wish I had saved them, because the bikelist.org archive is gone.

thwart
02-21-2016, 10:54 AM
From 2001, a frame building class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XftlRYaYvbk

pbarry
02-21-2016, 11:35 AM
^^ Good stuff and worth the watch.

LouDeeter
02-21-2016, 12:01 PM
From 2001, a frame building class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XftlRYaYvbk

I served Masi wine after Brian's presentation!!

Elefantino
02-21-2016, 05:49 PM
This is from E-Richie ATH:

Brian Baylis and I met for the first time when he came to Connecticut in 1975 on his way to, of all places, Alaska. If I recall properly, it was one of his earlier departures from the bicycle trade after yet another dust up and reorg at the SoCal Masi works. He left. Became a fruitarian. Came back to the bench and left many times again after that. We reconnected in 1979 when he began painting my bicycles for a few years. He left again by 1985 and handed me over to JB who's been my most important BFF ever since.

I think of Brian as one of the casualties of the niche as industry's cloud cover grew wider and larger, sending many independent shops into the margins. We all fought to remain relevant and legitimate in a world that no longer valued hand-work, imperfections, and the personal touch the way it once did. The trade and sport now belonged to anyone with a large bank behind him and access to good cookie cutter machines and cheap labor. Over time, many frame builders left the room and an important, once vital segment of the cycling industry died as a result.

I saved all of the letters we exchanged some 35-40 years ago. Most were about processes, or where to source obscure materials so that our respective frames didn't "look" like so many others that were made from components sold by more mainstream and conventional suppliers. The two of us were very alike, and also completely different. To Brian's credit (and advantage), he was multifaceted as a fabricator, had interests away from the bicycles, and was able to leave it all and come back on a regular basis. These are memos I never got.

The two of us stayed connected as the internet became part of the daily routine. Phone calls gave way to emails; we're probably among the last people still using an @juno.com address. We participated in the early listserves about framebuilding, simultaneously discussing and arguing our points of view. All of it was fun, interesting, exhilarating, and also frustrating. Frustrating, because the very unnatural time sync that results from posting remarks electronically as opposed to expressing the very same thoughts in live conversation, made it appear as if we were at ten paces with each other. Hardly. The respect and admiration ran very deep, and extended back over four decades.

Here's a picture of a knife and sheath Brian made for me in the 1980s. As he knew, I use it daily, almost hourly, for something at my bench. Originally, it was a beautiful piece of work that almost begged to be coddled and fetishized . But, not being a collector much less a knife guy, I accepted the gift and found ways to make it work for me.

RIP Brian.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1253/749894250_95617ed97f_b.jpg

cnighbor1
02-21-2016, 05:49 PM
VIP Brian Baylis
He passed away today Sunday due to complications from phenomena
A great friend and artist
Charles

rnhood
02-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Already a post on this.

gasman
02-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Threads merged.

Very sad news.

paredown
02-21-2016, 06:36 PM
Read this here, and that took me over to the CR list and then back.

I never met Brian--although read the many posts that he, Mike Howard and others posted over the years about the crazy history of the Masi CA adventure, and the frame-building diaspora that resulted from it.

I was delighted to see the tribute Wizards get made, and read with interest about his Bentley restoration. And admired the work--god, how could you not admire some of those crazy but perfect paint jobs and exquisite cut lugs.

I feel like I have lost a friend, although I never met him.

RIP Brian--and to quote Chaucer, 'The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne"

Villgaxx
02-21-2016, 07:49 PM
baylis was one of those bike people who seemed ageless, unrooted to a recognizable place in time. i guess ageless is not immortal. probably should be. somebody get on that.

bikinchris
02-21-2016, 09:17 PM
The world of fine bicycles is one craftsman short.

I was hoping to have him build a work of art for me one day.

jimcav
02-21-2016, 11:46 PM
baylis was one of those bike people who seemed ageless, unrooted to a recognizable place in time. i guess ageless is not immortal. probably should be. somebody get on that.

i had always hoped to ride a bike he made. it seems more tragic when something medicine has arguably conquered is the cause. my thought so out the friends and family and hope they may church the memories

Leoner
02-22-2016, 12:07 AM
Thank you Brian Baylis for sharing your creativity with us. The world is a more beautiful place today because of you. RIP

David Kirk
02-22-2016, 08:29 AM
I didn't really know Brian......I'd met him only a few times but he was always so gracious and generous to me. I love his work and hope that it will be coveted for generations to come. It deserves to be.

Rest in peace Brian.

dave

fiamme red
02-22-2016, 09:13 AM
http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2016/2/21/r-brian-baylis-1953-2016.html

alancw3
02-22-2016, 10:02 AM
http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2016/2/21/r-brian-baylis-1953-2016.html

wow! that is quite aa tribute to a great frame builder of our time. unfortunately for me i did not know him

559Rando
02-22-2016, 01:02 PM
RIP, Brian!
I've always enjoyed seeing his work and after hearing of his passing, I was reminded of his AeroTour from the mid-2000s. I tried in vain yesterday to find photos. Does anyone have any pictures of this?

ORMojo
02-22-2016, 01:40 PM
http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/features/nahmbs062/Baylis_Randonneur_600.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2651/1772/1600/IMG_2306.jpg

And two more:
https://flic.kr/p/azNQR
https://flic.kr/p/azNQU

ORMojo
02-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Such sad news.

I was fortunate to be one of the string of owners here of one of Brian's frame sets (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=147546). It remained art for me - like others who owned it, I could not bring myself to build it, it was much more pleasurable to me as unadorned art than as yet another bicycle I would ride.

Dazza
02-22-2016, 03:02 PM
I met Brian for the first time at Cirque 2005. We chatted and he always liked holding an audience. Over the years we disagreed on some subjects, but one can only have respect for his chosen path and style. He poured a lot into the detail and style of his frame creations. His work is one of the important flavours of frame building styles that will be coveted, remembered and admired for a very long time.
I wish the best strength for his family and friends.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1622/25106377131_75af4b37ff_z.jpg

Gsinill
02-23-2016, 08:20 AM
I just read on another forum that there is a theory about Brian Baylis not having gotten the required medical attention because he had no health insurance.

According to his brother, Brian Baylis battled pneumonia for a while but didn't seek medical attention until he was in very bad shape.
He finally went to the hospital where he was kept over night but sent home the next day with antibiotics.
Apparently his condition worsened quickly to the point where he was admitted to the ER but after suffering an additional heart attack it was too late.

I don't know whether this is more than a theory and I don’t want to get political but the fact that this is even remotely possible is sad and mind boggling.
This man was an icon, his passing is discussed and mourned widely on the internet and he might have died because he wasn't able to get adequate medical care?

Ken Robb
02-23-2016, 09:33 AM
I just read on another forum that there is a theory about Brian Baylis not having gotten the required medical attention because he had no health insurance.

According to his brother, Brian Baylis battled pneumonia for a while but didn't seek medical attention until he was in very bad shape.
He finally went to the hospital where he was kept over night but sent home the next day with antibiotics.
Apparently his condition worsened quickly to the point where he was admitted to the ER but after suffering an additional heart attack it was too late.

I don't know whether this is more than a theory and I don’t want to get political but the fact that this is even remotely possible is sad and mind boggling.
This man was an icon, his passing is discussed and mourned widely on the internet and he might have died because he wasn't able to get adequate medical care?

People in San Diego with no insurance frequently jam our emergency rooms so it's unlikely that Brian died due to a lack of health insurance. I had pneumonia when I was in Basic Training. I had "a cold" or something for at least a week but I didn't want to be recycled so I kept going until I woke up one night burning up with 104F fever. I was immediately hospitalized and was so weak that I could barely drag myself across the room to the bathroom. Lucky for me after a week in the hospital Xmas Leave was granted to almost everyone and I was sent home for two weeks to recuperate.

Brian was a man and like most of us denied/refused to believe that any little sickness could "be that serious" until it was too late. My bout with pneumonia at 23 years of age was the first time I could understand being sick enough to die and I was in much better shape then that any guy Brian's age. I guess I'm fortunate to have a wife who hounds me to see doctors when necessary.:)

Doug Fattic
02-23-2016, 09:58 AM
Herbie Helm (who often works out of my shop and helps me with my framebuilding classes) visited Brian Baylis just this last Tuesday night. Herbie had flown out to CA to visit his brother and made a side trip to San Diego see Brian who had just gotten out from the hospital. Brian told Herbie that he had gotten a bad case of food poisoning that had really weakened him and made his pneumonia worse.

So this last Friday I looked at pictures Herbie took while visiting Brian. He had quite a collection of classic frames, drum sets and shotguns (or some kind of rifles).

I’m going to miss Brian. We had been good friends for years even though our life styles were different. We often sat together at bike gatherings. A common topic of conversation was recording and documenting the history of modern American framebuilding. We had both learned framebuilding from a European master and shared a similar liking for cutting and shaping lugs and painting multi-color frames. He was governed by wanting to make things as good as possible rather than for profit.

bfd
02-23-2016, 02:48 PM
From the CR list, one of the best collection of photos of RBB's work shown at the 2005 NAHBS:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rlstankus/albums/72157664816768792

https://flic.kr/p/DRtT4i

fiamme red
02-23-2016, 05:03 PM
http://redkiteprayer.com/2016/02/in-memoriam-brian-baylis/

fuzzalow
02-23-2016, 05:29 PM
http://redkiteprayer.com/2016/02/in-memoriam-brian-baylis/

I don't usually trash a writer, but I got a whole lotta credibility issues with this RKP guy. Now I wasn't in the room or had even known Mr. Baylis well other than as a prospective client to a builder. But RKP guy always strikes me as a writer who is always reaching, as if possessed of access and insights far beyond those of mortal men. And yet when written, just reads as self-serving and of fictional embellishment.

Case in point:
Baylis once told me that he didn’t build for fame, for the money or for performance. He wasn’t even building for the customer. When my jaw dropped he let another breath pass and then clarified: “I’m building for the next generation, or the one after that. I’m building heirlooms.”

RKP guy got the first part right. But regarding the rest of RKP guy's scoop reporting, I dunno. Mr. Baylis never came across to me as capable of such crass confession and such pomposity, in the same breathe. And his crie de coeure laid bare to this RKP guy? Yeah, sure, I'll bet.

My issue about this braggadocio is simply this: There are always those that take the opportunity to say a few words to honor and remember somebody but pervert the dignity of what should be done to somehow elevate and "honor" themselves while in the process of doing so. In this case distasteful as a person while being hack as a writer.

gemship
02-24-2016, 07:30 AM
I don't usually trash a writer, but I got a whole lotta credibility issues with this RKP guy. Now I wasn't in the room or had even known Mr. Baylis well other than as a prospective client to a builder. But RKP guy always strikes me as a writer who is always reaching, as if possessed of access and insights far beyond those of mortal men. And yet when written, just reads as self-serving and of fictional embellishment.

Case in point:

RKP guy got the first part right. But regarding the rest of RKP guy's scoop reporting, I dunno. Mr. Baylis never came across to me as capable of such crass confession and such pomposity, in the same breathe. And his crie de coeure laid bare to this RKP guy? Yeah, sure, I'll bet.

My issue about this braggadocio is simply this: There are always those that take the opportunity to say a few words to honor and remember somebody but pervert the dignity of what should be done to somehow elevate and "honor" themselves while in the process of doing so. In this case distasteful as a person while being hack as a writer.

I don't know enough about the author to share your sentiment or at the least understand your view but I like what the author wrote in that short memoir of Brian Bayliss. I think the author gave nothing short of praise in coloring Brian Bayliss's achievements/accomplishments. So despite my ignorance I have to disagree with you. Ironically however I find your post on this forum thought provoking, always striking a course of debate. It's why I decided to read that web link, also I am just curious about who built such beautiful bikes and passed away.

What strikes me as interesting is dying of pneumonia. I had a strong case of bronchitis that had me for a two day stay at the hospital last year, it almost turned into pneumonia. It was crippling and humbling for me. I am 42 and I work my ass off digging clams for a living. I'm a skinny guy with a Lance Armstrong like body and yet I still was victim to this illness. Seeing Brian Bayliss and hearing of this loss I am amazed he would die this way or really just about anyone except if not for my own experience. This remindes me of Sheldon Brown's passing. I guess I am just amazed that smart gifted people that engage in healthy activities can become fatally ill.

fiamme red
02-24-2016, 01:51 PM
An interview from the RKP archives:

http://redkiteprayer.com/2013/10/torchbearers-brian-baylis-part-i/

http://redkiteprayer.com/2013/10/torchbearers-brian-baylis-part-ii/

rounder
02-24-2016, 08:08 PM
Sorry for your loss.

My friend and bike guru (former owner of Chesapeake Cycle Design) died a few months ago of an aneurism while riding his bike. Third person I know who died while riding his bike. He was fit. I thought bike riding was supposed to be healthy.

Anyway, sorry for your loss.

bikinchris
02-24-2016, 09:38 PM
Sorry for your loss.

My friend and bike guru (former owner of Chesapeake Cycle Design) died a few months ago of an aneurism while riding his bike. Third person I know who died while riding his bike. He was fit. I thought bike riding was supposed to be healthy.

Anyway, sorry for your loss.

The real difference is that healthy people die all at once, instead of living in a home for 20 years like my uncle. He was in a wheelchair and couldn't help himself. Typically, they just go to sleep and don't wake up.

elcolombiano
02-25-2016, 12:50 AM
I met Brian Baylis at various bike shows and at Great Western Bike Rallies over the years. He was always very friendly and eager to speak with me. He was a guy that seemed to really enjoy life. What I remember most is that when you spoke to him you got the feeling his frame building was mostly out of love of the work and not as a business to make money. A lot of frame builders I have met seem to be know it alls and arrogant. He was the exact opposite of this. He seemed to be around my age group. I don't feel old. I guess life is short and we should enjoy life to the fullest as it could be all over tomorrow. I have admired his work for decades, one of the greatest american frame builders and painters.

LouDeeter
02-25-2016, 05:25 AM
I know the owner of many of the bikes shown in the pictures by the red kite guy. I tried to buy the one with gold plated lugs when Brian brought it to the Cirque du Cyclisme in Greensboro one year, but the owner wouldn't sell. He and I talked about a package deal for 3-4 Wizard/Baylis frames, but at the time, I wasn't going to buy frames that I couldn't ride because of size. To the best of my knowledge, the owner still has them. Expensive when we discussed them ten years ago, so I'm sure that if he decides to sell today, he is really going to put a high price on them. Here's something you don't often, if ever, see--a Brian Baylis bar end plug!

malcolm
02-25-2016, 09:07 AM

As a physician I'll say there are many varieties of pneumonia some way more virulent than others. You have to also consider comorbidities.
There is way more to his illness than we are privy to therefore we should not speculate and leave that to a more general thread.
Lets make this about the passing of a great builder and artist.
RIP Brian, I always admired your work

cnighbor1
02-25-2016, 05:11 PM
Dear friends,

There have been "rumors" circulating around the internet and elsewhere to the effect that I am planning on retiring from framebuilding. The fact is that I myself have been making those statements for the past 2 years; but only in passing during conversations with friends or sometimes clients. Eventually the rumor escapes the inner circle and enters the public rumor mill.

This is my official announcement of my retirement from professional framebuilding. I will mark and date my last frame on 11-12-13. (It has been sold for a while, so no need to try and buy it). My order books have been pretty much
closed for the past 5 years or so, knowing I was going to get to this point. I'm finishing all orders, repaints, and frame repairs as quickly as I can.

Why? The answer is, why not? But in addition to that, there are several things that have "inspired" me to cap my career in 2013. It's a good stopping point. I began my official first jab as a framebuilder apprentice in November of 1973 at
the Masi factory in Carlsbad. I like the date of 11-12-13, so that will be the date on whatever is up to start at that time. The first real inspiration to think about retiring was when I heard that Dupont Imron paint was going to become obsolete. That was about 5 years ago. From that time the Imron supply began to dwindle, changes were happening to the paint, and I knew the clock was ticking. I vowed to not paint bikes anymore once Imron disappeared. It's already
gone in CA and it's not on the endangered list in the United States. We hunted it down in other states and so on; but I'm done with that. It's over,just got the inside tip two days ago.

Reason two has to do with the supply of framebuilding materials left to work with. As some may know, I almost never build frames out of any other material than standard Reynolds or Columbus tubing. The supply is nearly gone and I have mostly material for small frames, mainly track. The majority of my orders seem to be frame over 60 cm. I"m not excited about having to hunt down tubing and stuff, especially after eBay has put the kybash on good old fashioned trading. There isn't anybody to trade with anymore. I could resort to making my own lugs, some crowns, and other parts, but I don't want to get deeper into this deal and do so while adding a LOT of extra work for myself. The next paragraph will explain why. I've been making dropouts in recent years and that is quite a bit of extra work already.

The third reason should be the first reason why I have decided to retire. My body has delivered several BILLION file strokes in my life over a 40 year period. I have painted several thousand bikes in my day, and spent a considerable amount of time with torch in hand. Prior to framebuilding I began playing the drums at age 12, and have been doing so off and on ever since. Needless to say, my hands have taken a beating over the past 60 years. All of the joints from my shoulders to my fingertips have been overworked. I know that the pain I have now will only get worse as I continue to work, so a cut off time had to be determined. That time is now.

So what's next? A number of things. First, I must finish my straggling house remodel project. The project is 5 years old and still not complete. I would like to get into "warm glass" work or knifemaking. Most of the work is done with grinders and polishers. I will continue to teach young and not so young people who want to learn the finer points of the art and craft of making bicycle frames by hand. I took my first student back in 1978. Since that time I have coached about 6 students. Within the past 5 years the pace has accelerated to around 10, with 4 current and 2 more coming on board soon. That way, there should be at least some of what I have learned over the years passed on to the next generation of bike builders. I have also passed along a fair amount of frame crap to get these guys started. Eventually those who persist will have to adapt to modern materials or quit. I have avoided the frustration of facing that by chickening out early. But the paint problem actually did the job.

I have a booth booked at NAHBS 2013 in Denver. Haven't been to NAHBS in 5 years. Just checking it out for the last time and maybe talking to potential students. Probably won't see those who are friends again after that. Maybe a final good bye to a few and then I'm on my way.

Thanks for reading this far. It's been real fun.

Brian Baylis''

fiamme red
02-25-2016, 05:14 PM
The first real inspiration to think about retiring was when I heard that Dupont Imron paint was going to become obsolete. That was about 5 years ago. From that time the Imron supply began to dwindle, changes were happening to the paint, and I knew the clock was ticking. I vowed to not paint bikes anymore once Imron disappeared. It's already gone in CA and it's not on the endangered list in the United States. We hunted it down in other states and so on; but I'm done with that. It's over, just got the inside tip two days ago.I wonder if breathing the toxic fumes from Imron had any long-term effects on his health?

bouldergary
06-28-2016, 04:48 PM
was a great guy

bouldergary
06-28-2016, 04:49 PM
48cm NOS 1991 track frame