PDA

View Full Version : Rivendell Rambouillet anyone?

93legendti
06-08-2006, 03:15 PM
I hear these are hard to come by:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rivendell-Rambouillet-56cm-Bicycle_W0QQitemZ7247050600QQcategoryZ98084QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ray
06-08-2006, 03:45 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rivendell-Rambouillet-56cm-Bicycle_W0QQitemZ7247050600QQcategoryZ98084QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
A green one is pretty rare, but I think you can usually find Rambouillets at Rivendell or one of their dealers. No? I'm riding one as a fixed gear these days - sweet ride.

-Ray

goonster
06-08-2006, 05:50 PM

Great bike, but I wouldn't necessarily say they are "hard to come by". They are made in small batches, but they are still made.

Hard to believe that five years ago this was pretty much the only production bike built for standard reach brakes . . .

goonster
06-08-2006, 06:10 PM
A green one is pretty rare

I think this is the current batch. Riv had announced the next ones would be green, but this is the first one I've seen.

Marburg
06-08-2006, 06:33 PM
I believe the green ones are from the newest batch -- which are being sold as complete bikes (or complete sans saddle and pedals?). The original orange version was sold as a frame/fork (with built-up options, of course).

I don't know if the frame changed at all during the transition, but I'd tend to believe it hasn't.

Ken Robb
06-08-2006, 06:55 PM
after the orange ones the next run was blue and they had less fancy lugs. No different functionally.

goonster
06-08-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't know if the frame changed at all during the transition, but I'd tend to believe it hasn't.

The lugs have definitely changed. The original ones were fancier, i.e. with more points, than the current ones.

It's also possible that the current ones are painted in Oakland and no longer in Japan. Not sure about that though. Riv does offer a custom color option for an upcharge.

Ray
06-09-2006, 03:30 AM
I believe the green ones are from the newest batch
Right. I forgot they were changing to green. First one I've seen. Nice green too. A little deeper and shiney-er than the Coleman Stove Green I have on my old Riv. I guess sort of similar to the original Quickbeam color?

I love green bikes. My '97 Riv (coleman stove green), an all-rounder I used to have (deep metallic green), and my every day Spectrum (Jade green, also metallic) are the nicest riding bikes I've ever owned. Coincidence?

-Ray