PDA

View Full Version : Does this happen in your hood?

Treadly
06-08-2006, 03:02 PM
.......or only in mellow, enlightened, peace & loveful N. Calif.!!!!?????

Over the past month, three Tiburon [San Fran. area] residents on Paradise Drive complained to the CHP about disturbing cyclist behaviors. Sgt. Gilbert Osuma reported to MCBC that cyclists had been seen slapping and spitting on vehicles, yelling obscenities at motorists, riding several abreast and not letting cars pass, and urinating in public. MCBC reminds all riders that none of these behaviors are ever appropriate.

MCBC also receives many calls about cyclists blowing through stop signs, endangering themselves and frustrating the others at the intersection. MCBC reminds all riders that cyclists must obey all traffic laws, or face possible tickets or injuries. Predictable cyclists are safe cyclists.

Sgt. Sean Smith of the Twin Cities police department recently called MCBC regarding a cyclist who was injured while riding on Casa Buena in Corte Madera. The cyclist was on a shaded downhill and was hit by a car turning left across the lane in the sun.

Stay safe out there!

coylifut
06-08-2006, 03:24 PM
yes

dgauthier
06-08-2006, 03:37 PM
I've ridden somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 miles in Los Angeles, and I've been hassled by automobile drivers about a total of 3 times, and hassled by fellow cyclists about 3 times as well. Of course, I see hundreds of automobiles on the road, and - since I ride alone - only handfuls of cyclists. This causes me to conclude that the proportion of L.A. area cyclists who are a**holes exceeds the proportion of L.A area drivers who are a**holes by an order of magnitude or more - a tremendous feat, believe me.

Watching other cyclists, I sometimes wonder if I am the only cyclist in Los Angeles who stops at red lights. When I ride, I obey all traffic signs, use hand signals, the works. This is a trivial social contract: if cyclists wish to be treated like legitimate vehicles on the roadways, then they should obey all traffic laws. Otherwise, we are just another hazard for motorists, like children playing in the street with expensive toys.

Bradford
06-08-2006, 03:42 PM
This is a trivial social contract: if cyclists wish to be treated like legitimate vehicles on the roadways, then they should obey all traffic laws.

Amen!

There is nothing trivial about that.

Lunar Probe
06-08-2006, 03:48 PM
I blow through lights and stop signs if it seems approriate, haven't slapped a car but will if call its called for, and I don't spit.

Avispa
06-08-2006, 03:51 PM
We may not have all that love and peace down here in So. Florida, but just like Mr. Gauthier, I hardly, if ever get hassled by drivers.

Now other cyclists.... I don't think they would dear to mess with me!

Be safe, be alert and ACT like a vehicle when you are on the road guys!

dgauthier
06-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Now other cyclists.... I don't think they would dear to mess with me!

L.A. cyclists pull the same brave move L.A. drivers pull: they shout obscenities . . . while riding away as fast as they can. ;)

Ozz
06-08-2006, 04:18 PM
...Sgt. Sean Smith of the Twin Cities police department recently called MCBC regarding a cyclist who was injured while riding on Casa Buena in Corte Madera. The cyclist was on a shaded downhill and was hit by a car turning left across the lane in the sun. ...
I found this comment interesting...

Like it's the cyclists fault the road was shady and ran downhill...and it's not the motorists fault they turned without being able to see what was coming towards them.....hmmmm????

Obey traffic laws.

William
06-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Yes, I've seen all that in PDX and Rhode Island....well not so much the urination part...but hey, that's a good thing. Always obey the traffic laws.

It's the bad apples that always get noticed. The smell you know. ;)

I will admit to an occasional running battle with Tri-Met bus drivers in the past who cut you off on purpose. A little slap of the side mirror makes them have to stop the bus and re-adjust...or so I've heard.

William

Don
06-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Our actions on the roadway reflect on all cyclists. If we ever wish to gain respect from other users of the roads, we must respect the rules of the road.

I am active in the local Palm Beach County (FL) advocacy movement, attempting to secure five foot bike lanes where sufficient right of way exists here in the county. The biggest obstacle we face is citizen complaints to the local police department chiefs about cyclists running red lights, failing to slow at stop signs and refusal to ride single file when impeding traffic. It is never appropriate to violate traffic regulations. We do have to remember to be courteous as well as safe.

At times we can be our own worst enemy! In the words of the late Walt Kelly, "I have met the enemy and he is us."

Fat Robert
06-08-2006, 05:17 PM
stop at stop signs

don't yell cuss words and crap

but

urinating in public is one of the great freedoms and joys of cycling -- but then again its easy out here because cotton and soybean fields aren't really, pubic, are they....

flydhest
06-08-2006, 05:23 PM
This is a trivial social contract: if cyclists wish to be treated like legitimate vehicles on the roadways, then they should obey all traffic laws. Otherwise, we are just another hazard for motorists, like children playing in the street with expensive toys.

Nope, I completely disagree. What fraction of cars violate the rules of the road? I hazard a guess at 65% but it's likely higher. Would we or anyone tolerate reckless endgangerment of motorists because "a lot of them" don't obey all the laws? How many times have I, while driving my car, been cut off by someone driving a pickup? Does that mean that pickups are "just another hazard" for me? No. They have a right to the road, but far more importantly, they're people whom I believe I have a duty and responsibility to respect. If 99% of cyclists broke the law, it would still be unconscionable for a car to intentionally run me off the road on my bike.

Re-write the sentence and you'll see how ridiculous it is. "If drivers wish to be treated like legitimate vehicles on the roadways, then they should obey all traffic laws." Since cars do not, the slapping and spitting must be acceptable?

Now, cars are bigger and a cyclist will lose out in the altercation. That's true. Nevertheless, I think it underscores my point, which is that it is an interaction between two people that is fundamentally at question. I've said it before and I'll say it again, people basically suck. The car/bike interaction is merely one manifestation of the fact that most people think "I and people like me" are better than "them" and subsequently look for excuses like "bicyclists don't obey the rules" to justify their self-centered, sociopathic behavior.

znfdl
06-08-2006, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=flydhest]Nope, I completely disagree. What fraction of cars violate the rules of the road? I hazard a guess at 65% but it's likely higher. /QUOTE]

Flydhest, can I see you statistical sample..... :D

bcm119
06-08-2006, 05:48 PM
I completely agree with the Fly guy. I would also add that traffic rules are made for cars, and the rule that cyclists must obey them too was made as an afterthought. I ride with my safety in mind first, and following rules second.

sailorboy
06-08-2006, 07:33 PM
It's sad when I think about it, but I generally assume that most drivers consider me at best an obstacle to their progress, at worst a nuisance to be treated as such. Maybe that's my glass-half-empty view coming out, but I'm not going to stake my life on the notion that all people are generally good-natured and benevolent. Even if many of them generally are, they don't always use common sense and go out of their way to protect cyclists by their actions on the road. That said, I don't go out of my way to antagonize them and really hate hearing about group rides where cyclists intentionally thumb their noses at the laws, the drivers etc; but I generally become somewhat defensive on the roads and have a shorter fuse with stupidity from drivers and will let them know about it.

There have been lots of times in the past few seasons when I have questioned if it is really worth it to be out there. Coming back from what is supposed to be one of my few enjoyable free-time experiences after some a-hole driver does something totally un-provoked pretty much ruins the day. Luckily it doesn't happen the majority of the times out. I suppose choice of your location to live/ride is important here as well.

toaster
06-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Urinating in public should be a privilage, not a right. It shouldn't be a ticket if done with a reasonable amount of respect for others given the fact that public restrooms are as rare as public drinking fountains these days.

My only relief sometimes is the Andy Gump portable toliet next to construction sites. I've gotten to where I now see those green and brown plastic huts as a precious oasis in a vast wasteland.

Have you ever driven down the interstate looking for an exit because you had to pee? You pick an exit that looks like it has an easy on-ramp only to find no gas station or fast food joint. If there is a gas station it's one built to have gas pumps, a mini-mart and no restroom.

Riding your bike in the suburban and semi-rural areas surrounding the cities you'll have to pee where you can. There are usually no places to use a restroom. Sorry, if you gotta go, you gotta go.

BUTCH RIDES
06-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Hello,
Oh my I never heard of such a thing . When GiGI and I go out we always act like good citizens and obay all the traffic laws . And always dress nice.
Thank you
adios

BumbleBeeDave
06-08-2006, 10:06 PM
. . . about running a stop sign or a red light when I can see a block down the street in both directions and there's not a car in sight--and when I know d@mn well I'm going 20mph and can stop in 20 feet.

I try to find "legit" places to stop and pee, but there simply isn't a 7-11 around every time you need one. Out in the rural areas around here it just makes no sense to torture yourself.

So drivers don't like these things and call in to complain? If I stopped to whip out the cell phone and report every motorist who I see do something completely contrary to traffic laws while I'm out on a ride, it would take me three hours to ride 20 miles. As a percentage, I see way, WAY more motorists flouting traffic laws and just doing obviously unsafe things than I do cyclists.

Get real . . .

BBD

saab2000
06-08-2006, 10:10 PM
This is a trivial social contract: if cyclists wish to be treated like legitimate vehicles on the roadways, then they should obey all traffic laws.

Word

Sometimes though drivers of motorised vehicles are intent on hassling us regardless of anything else. But by deliberately and intentionally avoiding conflict I avoid almost all problems with motorists just by sticking close to the side of the road, not impeding their progress and following the rules of the road.

shaq-d
06-08-2006, 11:12 PM
MCBC also receives many calls about cyclists blowing through stop signs, endangering themselves and frustrating the others at the intersection. MCBC reminds all riders that cyclists must obey all traffic laws, or face possible tickets or injuries. Predictable cyclists are safe cyclists.

no idea about tiburon, cali.. but in downtown toronto, and i think any downtown in any big city, all that happens all the time..

predictability, by the way, does not necessarily mean stopping at stop signs and riding on the right of the road, nor does it preclude car-slapping... not downtown. it's all a matter of context.

sd

shaq-d
06-08-2006, 11:13 PM
I
Watching other cyclists, I sometimes wonder if I am the only cyclist in Los Angeles who stops at red lights. When I ride, I obey all traffic signs, use hand signals, the works. This is a trivial social contract: if cyclists wish to be treated like legitimate vehicles on the roadways, then they should obey all traffic laws. Otherwise, we are just another hazard for motorists, like children playing in the street with expensive toys.

hey, this actually proves my above point. in this context, downtown LA, ur actions are actually UNpredictable :p

sd

Too Tall
06-09-2006, 06:25 AM
;) What we preach to RAAM riders and the like is along these lines "always give the appearance of obeying all motor vehicle laws and defer to local constabulary".

Solves a whole bunch of yada yada and we find out of they know any big words ;)