PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle build

rob137
06-08-2006, 02:05 PM
I have a nice Serotta frame that I would like built up. I don't have any good relationships with any local bike shops. I don't have any bad ones either. I have all the parts as well. How much should this cost me? Any Atlanta natives with recommendations?

Thanks,
Rob

Kirk Pacenti
06-08-2006, 02:17 PM
$130.00-$160.00 Usd

Louis
06-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Do it yourself. It's not that hard.

Louis

rob137
06-08-2006, 03:33 PM
What is the minimum set of tools one would need to do this?

dirtdigger88
06-08-2006, 03:58 PM

about $130- $160 usd worth- if this is the only bike you are going to build up- have a shop do it-

Jason

malcolm
06-08-2006, 04:44 PM
In atlanta I would talk to the guys at bicycle link on Parr road. I don't live there but did buy a parlee from them and they are serotta dealers. I think their wrenches are fairly long term and seem to know what they are doing. I build my own, however I wouldn't hesitate to allow them to work on my bike if needed.

Brian Smith
06-08-2006, 04:47 PM
I have a nice Serotta frame that I would like built up. I don't have any good relationships with any local bike shops. I don't have any bad ones either. I have all the parts as well. How much should this cost me? Any Atlanta natives with recommendations?

Thanks,
Rob

I lived there for years.

Look up Nato Worldwide or Alan Smith.
Beyond doing a great job, they can tell you if something's wrong with your kit.

Additionally, the Bicycle Link in Buckhead has a great history with Serotta.

sworcester
06-08-2006, 06:08 PM

Assuming it is chased and faced (don't know if they come that way from the factory), set of allen wrenches, open end wrenches, a good set of dikes for cutting cable housing and cables, a phillips head, slotted screwdriver and a chain breaker.
Fork cutting and headset take more specialized tools, bottom bracket usually take some special wrenches. Also some never seize and some lube.

SoCalSteve
06-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Send it to me...

I'll build it for $100.00

Good luck,

Steve

PS: In Los Angeles, a bike store gets about $140.00 for a build. That does not include computers or building wheels from scratch. I'm much cheaper!..LOL

catulle
06-08-2006, 07:37 PM

Thanks,
Rob

Make use of this opportunity to get to know your bike inside out. The process of putting it together is very simple, although there are a few things that might be a bit intimidating. For instance, installing the bottom bracket, or fixing the chain. Both are very simple things to do if you know what you're doing, like just about anything in this life. Therefore, you might want to research a little about how to do those things. One issue that you might want to find out about, especially if you are dealing with CF parts, is maximum torque tolerances.

It'd be a shame if you don't learn how all the different aspects of your bike work. If you decide to go the do-it-yourself route, you'll find this forum very helpful if you ever need advice, atmo.

Frankwurst
06-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Make use of this opportunity to get to know your bike inside out. The process of putting it together is very simple, although there are a few things that might be a bit intimidating. For instance, installing the bottom bracket, or fixing the chain. Both are very simple things to do if you know what you're doing, like just about anything in this life. Therefore, you might want to research a little about how to do those things. One issue that you might want to find out about, especially if you are dealing with CF parts, is maximum torque tolerances.

It'd be a shame if you don't learn how all the different aspects of your bike work. If you decide to go the do-it-yourself route, you'll find this forum very helpful if you ever need advice, atmo.

Great advice. When I first started riding I had no choice but to wrench on my own bike as there was no LBS. I purchased what books I could find the tools I needed and took my time. There is an unlimited amount of knowledge and people who will offer advice at your finger tips. Take advantage of it and enjoy your first build. :beer:

Grant McLean
06-08-2006, 09:02 PM
about $130- $160 usd worth- if this is the only bike you are going to build up- have a shop do it-

Jason

yes, sometimes the truth hurts.

g

Louis
06-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Even if the tools cost twice as much as having your LBS do it, it will still pay off in the long run:

1) Satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself,
2) Ability to do repairs yourself in the future,
3) More likely to be able to handle emergencies on the road,
the list goes on ....

Louis

marcus
06-08-2006, 09:14 PM
I think we can assume that since you asked what tools you would need, you kind of want to give it a go.

There are many advantages to doing it yourself. You will know how to adjust your bike as cables stretch, brake pads wear, or creaks appear. You will know how to change your saddle or change your bars. You will also know how to change your chain or remove it for cleaning. You will be a lot more comfortable diagnosing problems.

You want to have a shop to press in the headset cups, since it is best done with fairly expensive equipment. Should cost $10 or so.

Post what kind BB/crank you have. Forumites can then advise. Also, check out the Park Tools website. It is excellent for instructions and tips.

Good luck and remember most of us have been there, so ask away as issues come up.

Grant McLean
06-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Even if the tools cost twice as much as having your LBS do it, it will still pay off in the long run:

1) Satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself,
2) Ability to do repairs yourself in the future,
3) More likely to be able to handle emergencies on the road,
the list goes on ....

Louis

absolutely, but is starting with your new serotta the best plan?

how about taking apart your kids bike or something?

g

Dekonick
06-08-2006, 09:28 PM
you can have your shop press the headset - perhaps install the BB. Everything else you can do yourself with advice here and the park tool website.

make sure you buy some anti-sieze if you are going to do it yourself (the BB) - its cheap and available from any automotive store.

It really is not hard to do - perhaps you can find a forumite or friend who wrenches and they can walk you thru the first time? I had never installed ergo levers or a BB before. Too Tall let me watch him build up a Legend - since then I have done several and found it is pretty simple to do.

Good luck!

Louis
06-08-2006, 10:06 PM
You want to have a shop to press in the headset cups, since it is best done with fairly expensive equipment.

Marcus,

You can build your own perfectly usable headset press with about $10 worth of hardware store parts. Info is here (http://www.mindspring.com/~d.g1/headset.html)

I've done it myself using my homemade press several times and as long as you are careful and don't rush (do one cup at a time) it's a breeze.

Louis

Louis
06-08-2006, 10:11 PM
how about taking apart your kids bike or something?

Agreed,

Before I did any major surgery on a bike that was worth anything I completely tore down and rebuilt my old Trek 410. The only thing I did not take apart was the freewheel. (I had been warned about that...)

Louis