PDA

View Full Version : making a hole in bar tape for di2 sprint shifters?

buckfifty
02-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Is there an elegant solution? Maybe using a paper hole puncher?

gpendergast
02-20-2016, 03:28 PM
Looks like an exacto job to me

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/news/article/shimano-dura-ace-di2-sprint-shifter-first-ride-review-29302/

02-20-2016, 03:34 PM
I have a small leather punch from Tandy Leathercraft. You want to make a hole a good bit smaller than the shifter nub so the tape stretches to cover. Once the tape is stretched over the shifter any hole wants to become a longish oval so keep it small.

Another way to do it is to adjust the wraps so you make a small v-notch in the top of one round and the bottom of the adjoining one, and just wrap the two pieces so the v's wrap closely around the shifter. When pushing the shifter through a hole, you are likely to have another layer of tape that may also overlap the shifter, so the v method sometimes is easier. Tapes these days don't slip like they used to, so the v method does work fine. Just push the tape close against the shifter. It has the added advantage that you have the thin part of the tape against the shifter nub so the nub isn't practically buried under the thicker tape in the middle of the tape.

shovelhd
02-20-2016, 04:06 PM
It depends on the bar, bar tape, and position. I use a piece of bar tape and the Shimano gauge to cut the rectangle, and tape that to the bar first. No matter how the bar tape lies, there is something surrounding the switch. Easier shown with pictures. I have to re tape my left side so if I think of it I'll take a few.

b021c
02-20-2016, 08:08 PM
I've used both a paper and leather hole punch with ease & success.