PDA

View Full Version : clinger joined my lil team.

swoop
06-08-2006, 01:56 PM
this is what it looks like to have clinger riding on your team (i sh*t you not).

Bill Bove
06-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Cool, that's what I want to be for Halloween :banana: :banana:

fiamme red
06-08-2006, 02:12 PM

Lunar Probe
06-08-2006, 02:17 PM
He doesn't look Maori...

Roy E. Munson
06-08-2006, 02:19 PM
If Maori is Swahili for idiot, he does look Maori. :D

swoop
06-08-2006, 02:21 PM
it's easy to bust on him.... but .. the guy has for sure seen the dark side of euro racing. he rode on festina and i think postal still owes him some money. kinda reminds me a little of vdb in some semi-parallel non-parallel way. i don't know him but i know he's a very nice guy.

he's as talented as they come...but i can only imagine the places he's been emotionally. i don't know that everybody that has the gift is necessarily up to the toll the suffering takes.

it's a small cycling community out here and clinger needed a place to land. it's not like the sport is set up to take care of its own.

LegendRider
06-08-2006, 02:21 PM
I thought he was having the tattoo removed via laser treatment. Is this a recent photo?

Fixed
06-08-2006, 02:22 PM
bro to each his own... I think he gave up a lot for that look .cheers

swoop
06-08-2006, 02:22 PM
he re-did it. yes this is very recent.

Ray
06-08-2006, 02:24 PM
I hope he's either already married or doesn't hope to be.

-Ray

zeroking17
06-08-2006, 02:29 PM
it's easy to bust on him.... but .. the guy has for sure seen the dark side of euro racing. he rode on festina and i think postal still owes him some money. kinda reminds me a little of vdb in some semi-parallel non-parallel way. i don't know him but i know he's a very nice guy.

he's as talented as they come...but i can only imagine the places he's been emotionally. i don't know that everybody that has the gift is necessarily up to the toll the suffering takes.

it's a small cycling community out here and clinger needed a place to land. it's not like the sport is set up to take care of its own.

The empathy for Clinger's situation that you express in this post is a profound recognition of his (and your) humanity. Thank you. It made my day.

JasonF
06-08-2006, 02:35 PM

Pro cycling (and any pro sport for that matter) is a tough place to express individuality when conservative corporations are underwriting the teams. I think the sponsor and team management were more than fair to give him the opportunity to get rid of the tattoos. I mean, Johnny Damon had to cut his hair and shave before he was allowed to put on Yankee Pinstripes.

swoop
06-08-2006, 02:37 PM
the guy has more talent than everyone on this board. he's lived the things we all talk about as if we know. out here we've all seen how hard he trains. i've seeen him ride 80 miles to get to a race and then win the race and ride home. but yes he is shocking. i stare.. i even posted this....

i've also never seen anyone on a bike that isn't medicating something. so yes there is a big bull's eye here.... but there is a lot going on about this.

i'm actually really proud of my team mates for looking out for him. he didn't even have a bike anymore. not to get too soft focus but... sometimes you need a mask.

the sport would suck if it was all lance. but i'm also sure he's living the consequences.

swoop
06-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Pro cycling (and any pro sport for that matter) is a tough place to express individuality when conservative corporations are underwriting the teams. I think the sponsor and team management were more than fair to give him the opportunity to get rid of the tattoos. I mean, Johnny Damon had to cut his hair and shave before he was allowed to put on Yankee Pinstripes.

that was random... yeah .. you are right. but ... what's your point? in terms of taking care of the athletes i guess i was referring to a rider's union..

he did the removal.. and now that he isnt riding for a big sponsor (sotheby's/helen's not even close to d-3).. we are just local guys that roll around in crcles. the cycling equivalent to t-ball. we frankly just wanted to get him on a bike and this was the easiest way. no one else seemed to be looking out for him.

Lanternrouge
06-08-2006, 02:41 PM

Him redoing it at least means it something he really wanted and had time to think about a lot, as opposed to a stint of insanity, which is what it seemed everyone thought when he had it done the first time. This does make him among the easiest riders to spot in a race.

crossjunkee
06-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty sure he's married, and his wife supports him 100%. There's a story behind his wife and the tattoo, but I can't remember enough to say. Kudo's to the guy that blazes his own trail!

I think a mullet is 10 times worse.

Fixed
06-08-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm pretty sure he's married, and his wife supports him 100%. There's a story behind his wife and the tattoo, but I can't remember enough to say. Kudo's to the guy that blazes his own trail!

I think a mullet is 10 times worse.
bro they are coming back in
cheers

fiamme red
06-08-2006, 03:01 PM
I miss Nicole Freedman and her sense of humor. (She retired a few weeks ago.)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/feb05/feb10news

Freedman gets fishy

Meanwhile, in other Team Basis news, Freedman has announced a radical new look. After thinking about it for 2+ solid years, the Basis leader decided to get a full-facial tattoo that combined the markings of several species of tropical saltwater fish: the mahogany snapper, the queen angelfish, and the queen triggerfish . Although Freedman finds she is frequently asked why she got a permanent face mask that makes children explode into tears when she puts on helmet safety clinics at schools, she says the decision was an easy one: because of her "love and respect for saltwater fish."

"Tropical saltwater fish are beautiful creatures and they roam underwater in complete tranquility - they are at one with their oceanic environment," said Freedman, further noting that, "racing a criterium is a lot like swimming around a saltwater reef waiting for a great white shark to attack...and then at the last second swimming out of the way quickly so one of your teammates can be swallowed up instead." For Freedman, the nexus between her tattoo and winning races will be a significant motivating factor this season - not only for herself, but for her teammates and sponsors as well.

fiamme red
06-08-2006, 03:02 PM

I think a mullet is 10 times worse.It's easy to remove a mullet.

swoop
06-08-2006, 03:09 PM
a few years ago. it all makes me think of apoclypse now for some reason.

MartyE
06-08-2006, 03:11 PM
kudo's to swoop and the team for getting him back on
the bike (any bike). The whole story is kind of sad and its nice
to see someone can see past the tatoo.

marty

Tom Kellogg
06-08-2006, 03:17 PM
I have had the honor to spend some time with Dave over the last couple of weeks. He has been in the area racing at T-Town and trying to hook up with a D-3 team for a ride of the Triple Crown and the rest of the Pro season.

Quiet, respectful, even sweet. That is how I'd describe him. It took me a couple of minutes to look past his "mask," but that is about it. After a short conversation with the man, it kind of goes away. It is not what I would choose to do with my face (although it might improve things considerably) the guy inside is just as classy. He rode the velo last Friday night with the strongest Pro, 1-2 field of the last few years and did very well for a roadie until he had a mechanical half way through the feature.

He has earned my respect, for sure.

coylifut
06-08-2006, 03:20 PM
The empathy for Clinger's situation that you express in this post is a profound recognition of his (and your) humanity. Thank you. It made my day.

I'm in full agreement.

swoop
06-08-2006, 03:21 PM
I have had the honor to spend some time with Dave over the last couple of weeks. He has been in the area racing at T-Town and trying to hook up with a D-3 team for a ride of the Triple Crown and the rest of the Pro season.

Quiet, respectful, even sweet. That is how I'd describe him. It took me a couple of minutes to look past his "mask," but that is about it. After a short conversation with the man, it kind of goes away. It is not what I would choose to do with my face (although it might improve things considerably) the guy inside is just as classy. He rode the velo last Friday night with the strongest Pro, 1-3 field of the last few years and did very well for a roadie until he had a mechanical half way through the feature.

He has earned my respect, for sure.

sweet is a good word for him. i think marty nothstein has a lot of class too (for bringing him out there to race). i find comfort in knowing that there are good guys in the sport. you have to remember that this is just a mormon kid from utah with a gift and a hellla work ethic.

72gmc
06-08-2006, 03:28 PM
The photo of him in the Festina jersey is by far the harder one to look at for me. It's only bike racing, yes, but it's hard not to think of the heartbreak that happy, talented kid is in for.

"not to get too soft focus but... sometimes you need a mask."

Well said. Good luck to you and your team.

Dan

Fat Robert
06-08-2006, 03:49 PM
I think Clinger rules.

He lives his life the way he wants to -- and he decided that the euro scene wasn't worth his soul.

mad props for Clinger.

Bill Bove
06-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Cool, that's what I want to be for Halloween :banana: :banana:
Thanks a lot guys, now iI feel guilty about cracking on him :(
It is kinda goofy though...

zeroking17
06-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks a lot guys, now iI feel guilty about cracking on him :(
It is kinda goofy though...

Hey, I didn't interpret your comment as mean-spirited at all.

crossjunkee
06-08-2006, 05:11 PM
It's easy to remove a mullet.

Exactly! This guy isn't a poser! He is 100% legit.

Fixed
06-08-2006, 07:51 PM
bro how would you feel if your kid came home from spring break like that ?
people can treat you badly when you are different .
cheers

shinomaster
06-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Back up...what happened tto him last season? I thought He was racing in the US again even with the Tatoo? Did he have a bad season? I remember him being quite a racer.

swoop
06-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Back up...what happened tto him last season? I thought He was racing in the US again even with the Tatoo? Did he have a bad season? I remember him being quite a racer.

he ended up on a small local team here calle'd helen's/rpm.. run by harm jensen of toyota united fame (this after webcore went wobbly). he did the red bull downhill challange... and then he went off the cycling radar. he didn't have a bad season at all in terms of fitness....

BumbleBeeDave
06-08-2006, 10:17 PM
. .. apparently can't see past his skin color.

My goodness this sounds familiar. Are they going to make him use a separate water fountain and door to the locker room, too? Make him race on a "separate but equal" bike?

It's only a TATTOO . . . It doesn't change what he's like inside. He obviously has balls the size of brass doorknobs to follow his heart and soul and wear this proudly. More guts than I will ever have--certainly more guts than the weak-kneed PR sluts had on that team that dumped him for doing this. More power to him! I admire him. Leave him alone . . .

BBD

obtuse
06-08-2006, 10:55 PM
. .. apparently can't see past his skin color.

My goodness this sounds familiar. Are they going to make him use a separate water fountain and door to the locker room, too? Make him race on a "separate but equal" bike?

It's only a TATTOO . . . It doesn't change what he's like inside. He obviously has balls the size of brass doorknobs to follow his heart and soul and wear this proudly. More guts than I will ever have--certainly more guts than the weak-kneed PR sluts had on that team that dumped him for doing this. More power to him! I admire him. Leave him alone . . .

BBD

dude-
i don't know about the guts thing. i know clinger and am pretty sure hedoesn't have the cajones to wear this outfit:

http://www.pbase.com/nikonbuff/image/60497945

hey, it's his trip dig?

we agree again bbd! like piss in a pod!

obtuse

Avispa
06-08-2006, 11:48 PM
...the guy has more talent than everyone on this board...

So what? What does this have to do with the fact that he still looks incredibly stupid with that stuff on his face? Does Denis Rodman looks great dressed up like a woman, just because he is Rodman?

I just have to shake my head everytime one of us has to pull this: "that pro guy can kick your arse..." or "That pro dude has won more .... than you..." OF COURSE they are all professionals at what they do! So is Michael Schumacker a better driver tha any of us, or Sammy Sosa a better ball player! Now... can any of these pro athletes do my [or your] current profession as good as I [we] do? I don't think so!

We are fans, a genuine part of the sport. And as fans we can say what we please as long as the topic has been brought to our attention!!! Such as when putting that picture of Clinger on this post!

Phew! I feel better now... ;)

the sport would suck if it was all lance. but i'm also sure he's living the consequences.

I am with you swoop, and I like your posts a lot! Keep them coming. :) :) But I still think there is something called CLASS.

I never saw Lance wearing ear rings or Basso using a nose ring or Simoni with a huge AC/DC tatoo.

I guess if the tatoo on this guys face is permanent; I wonder what the hell is he going to do when he stops bike racing, if he decides to keep that face? What profession is he going to have?... Perhaps he could probably become a professional tatoo artists. I just don't see him working in any other profession where he may be taken seriously.

swoop
06-09-2006, 12:28 AM
things are never what they seem.

Too Tall
06-09-2006, 06:22 AM
Avispa - Maybe you missed something. Even though he ostensibly dances for his dinner he draws the line at wearing the suit.

We all have our coping mechanisms and many have tools in their bag that are not exactly "normal" BUT you don't see these tools OR hear about them. This one however you can not run away from, you gots to deal. If you think about it the tattoo is a BS filter...either you see him and deal for who and what he is or walk....but the man knows you to a "t" real quick doesn't he ;)

Glad to know he has pals. Krikey, there but for the grace of g-d.......

BumbleBeeDave
06-09-2006, 06:53 AM
<<I never saw Lance wearing ear rings or Basso using a nose ring or Simoni with a huge AC/DC tatoo.>>

I don't know . . . I don't think I've ever seen a pic of Simoni with his shirt off! He could be ALL tattoo from the neck down! ;)

I can take the zebra stripes off after the ride, but Clinger's are permanent. Total balls . . .

BBD

paulh
06-09-2006, 07:08 AM
The horror.

ClutchCargo
06-09-2006, 07:25 AM
I am with you swoop, and I like your posts a lot! Keep them coming. :) :) But I still think there is something called CLASS.

I never saw Lance wearing ear rings or Basso using a nose ring or Simoni with a huge AC/DC tatoo.

'vispa-dude . . . Simoni didn't get the tattoo because Basso paid him $30,000 not to. oh, and he lost that race because he stopped to pick up Basso's nose ring after it fell out . . . a classy move by a classy guy !

:D

kong79
06-09-2006, 07:27 AM
This may show that I've been hiding in a cave for a few years, but the mountain bike racing community used to embrace individuality like this. Aren't they like that anymore? I can't believe some team hasn't picked him up. He wouldn't be the first roadie to go dirt.

Lifelover
06-09-2006, 07:46 AM
So what? What does this have to do with the fact that he still looks incredibly stupid with that stuff on his face? Does Denis Rodman looks great dressed up like a woman, just because he is Rodman?

I just have to shake my head everytime one of us has to pull this: "that pro guy can kick your arse..." or "That pro dude has won more .... than you..." OF COURSE they are all professionals at what they do! So is Michael Schumacker a better driver tha any of us, or Sammy Sosa a better ball player! Now... can any of these pro athletes do my [or your] current profession as good as I [we] do? I don't think so!

We are fans, a genuine part of the sport. And as fans we can say what we please as long as the topic has been brought to our attention!!! Such as when putting that picture of Clinger on this post!

Phew! I feel better now... ;)

I guess if the tatoo on this guys face is permanent; I wonder what the hell is he going to do when he stops bike racing, if he decides to keep that face? What profession is he going to have?... Perhaps he could probably become a professional tatoo artists. I just don't see him working in any other profession where he may be taken seriously.

Most of us have made incredibly bad decisions at some point. It just that we can all see his.

I hope he doesn't live to regret it.