PDA

View Full Version : Heresy?

MallyG
03-31-2004, 05:34 AM
I was out on Sunday, riding with my usual group. One of the guys who rides with us brought along his pal, who normally mountain bikes but has recently bought a carbon Bianchi. I have to say, he was a tremendous cyclist. Interestingly though, he was one of the few people I've met in the UK to recognise my Serotta. Naturally, I was pleased and proud. Then, bombshell. Asking me if I'd done that 'three hour sizing thing', and me replying that indeed I had, he then told me that he thought the whole thing was 'bollocks' (English slang). Elaborating, he told me that he'd been sized up and set up on a Serotta size-cycle, then used those measurements on his Bianchi. The result was the most uncomfortable position he'd ever had, causing lower back pain which he'd never experienced in twenty years of cycling. He reverted back to his previous position (prior to the size-cycle) and solved all the problems. 'Bollocks', he told me. 'Complete bollocks!'.
Help me. What can I say to him next week in our defence?

M_A_Martin
03-31-2004, 06:34 AM
He wouldn't listen anyhow. You're happy...right?

Well the other thing might be to pick a different fitter...Unless you've only got one Serotta size cycle over there. Perhaps his fitter put him in an incorrect position for his flexibility and whatnot...I know that's happened to me in the past.

Another telling note is that he normally mountain bikes. Most people say that your position on a mtb is the same as your position on a road bike...but it isn't depending on what you ride. Most "all mtb all the time" kind of guys I know aren't initially comfortable with their road fit. You'll see them adjust their road fit to a bit more upright or less stretched out.

Just a thought.

Smiley
03-31-2004, 07:27 AM
If I do a fitting that would radically change a riders position from what he has been accustomed too and had ridden for many years pain free , I would first make these changes as best I could on that persons bike and have him ride with these changes to see if he can re-program his body to these changes and if not then I would not fight to make this kind of BIG change for what your describing all at once if I'd even make these changes to start with. It sounds to me that little feedback was served between the two parties during the fit, but heck I was not there and therefore this is all speculation on my behalf.

TimD
03-31-2004, 07:35 AM
You might offer that if he'd bought a Serotta instead of that Italian trash then you are confident it would have fit him perfectly :)

Too Tall
03-31-2004, 07:43 AM
Buy him a meade, get him completely stoned. Put him on his bike and see how he feels than ;) If he EVEN says one bad word bash his skull in and display his head on a pike nearest the shop that fit him.

I'm not joking, that's how Smiley got so good.

Sandy
03-31-2004, 07:56 AM
Too Tall,

I enjoyed your class last night on peaceful and calm resolutions of interpersonal conflicts.

So Sensitive So Sweet So Serotta Sandy

Kevan
03-31-2004, 08:20 AM
"So's yo mutha!"

Hey, it worked in the schoolyard.

Sandy
03-31-2004, 08:25 AM
Better idea. Give him a Calfee to ride. Then no one will even talk to him. Hey, it worked for me and Kevan.

Sandy

Kevan
03-31-2004, 08:36 AM
he'll be too far ahead on that Calfee. :cool:

RDP
03-31-2004, 09:33 AM
Sandy & Kevan,

Three cheers for you Calfee guys....question: do you consider yourselves more like the Czech brothers from SNL or the Blues brothers. :rolleyes:

Richard

Sandy
03-31-2004, 09:44 AM
Brother RDP,

You really made me feel Blue. KEVAN rides a Calfee. I ride a real bike, a Serotta.

So Seriously Sad Serotta Sandy

Actually, I do realize that Calfees are up at the top of quality bicycles, with tremendous buyer satisfaction and loyalty.

RDP
03-31-2004, 09:46 AM
doooohhhhhh! sorry for insinuating carbon in your general direction. :p

Kevan
03-31-2004, 09:52 AM
Talk of heresy.... did Calfee open their doors to Sandy???!!!

Whadda hoot! RDP, you made my day and I'm guessing Sandy has returned to bed in hopes that this exchange was only a bad dream. I'm LOL. No...I'm ROTFLMAO! Perfect....absolutely perfect. RDP, you're my new-found friend.

the truth is I've gotten to Sans-mans and he now owns the most cf bike Serotta peddles pedals.

Haha... ha .......haha......haha, boy this is a good one! I love it! :D

RDP
03-31-2004, 09:56 AM
yes....they all eventually go 'carbon'

H.Frank Beshear
03-31-2004, 10:00 AM
Since Kevan rides all carbon and Sandy rides part carbon they must be half brothers :D :p Frank

Sandy
03-31-2004, 10:15 AM
I need my meds! I need to wash my hands! I need a long nap! I need a new image! I am feeling quite sad! I am feeling queasy.

Not only are they saying that I ride a Calfee, but that Kevan is a family member.

What's next? I will be mandated to do all my riding on a custom Calfee tandem, with Kevan as the Captain?

Will this nightmare ever stop?????

SSSSSAAAAAADDDDD S A N D Y

Sandy
03-31-2004, 10:16 AM
Will someone adopt me????

Kevan
03-31-2004, 10:29 AM
I can't stop giggling! I have a serious meeting today, I'll have to do something like :crap: to stop myself from smirking thru it.

Hahahahahahaha.......

So he's heavy, he's my brother!

Haahahahahahahahahahaha.......

Todd Owen
03-31-2004, 11:52 AM
your mate could have the worst riding position in the world and still be comfortable... and fast. look at Sean Kelly...most of us would hate his position. I believe one should go into a fitting with your own ideas and what has worked for you and it is always a work in progress. I love the fit from Fred at Wheatridge but always ride with a larger drop from seat to bars than recommended. big deal! I also have 2 CSi frames and one has a lower BB by one Cm that also affects the ride and positioning. to take a frame set-up on a serotta and translate it to Bianchi unless they are identical in size geometry, and angles, to me means nothing. If the guy wanted a good setup ..wouldn't he take his Bianchi into the fitter and have them fit that bike to him would make more sense? I think the fit is a good starting point and avoids big mistakes but unless you are a mutant like most of us in this forum fairly standard sizes are workable but the bar ht., stem length, seat height and set back are more important and yet your experience is the most important! I didn't buy my Columbine or Merckx MX Leader or CSi because of the fit I bought it due the performance of the frames. .... okay I feel better now!

Kevan
03-31-2004, 05:47 PM
This thread still slays me.

Good night everyone! Good night Sandy!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha...................phew....b oy....