PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on brake pads

Cicli
02-20-2016, 07:58 AM
So,
I have a chance to pick up a leftover set of Reynolds wheels at a steal. They were demps but look brand new. I can ride them a couple of times over the weekend if I want. Heres the catch, the blue pads are not compatable with my Campy brakes. Will there be any big issue with just throwing in a set of new Kool Stops or new Campy pads for a couple of rides? Its flat here and there will be minimal braking and zero heat issues. He dosent care but I still dont want to do any damage. I will of course get the right pads if I pick them up.

Looking to the Paceline brain trust for guidance.

AngryScientist
02-20-2016, 08:25 AM
yea, no big deal with salmon pads, as long as they are new and dont have aluminum shards embedded in them. they might not brake the best if you have any screaming downhills, etc, but they'll work OK for slowing you down. i've done it, no biggie.

Black Dog
02-20-2016, 08:56 AM
These are carbon rims I assume? If so, under the conditions you describe you will not have any issues. Test brake so you know what to expect in case of an emergency stop.

Cicli
02-20-2016, 08:58 AM
Yeah,
Carbon rims with no damage. Just riding with little braking and no hills.
I will throw in a new set of salmons and go for it.

shovelhd
02-20-2016, 09:05 AM
I switched from Reynolds cryo blue to Swiss Stop Black Prince. Better stopping power, much better modulation. They are not cheap and they don't last as long. The best and the only pad I use on carbon wheels.

DarrinNYC
02-20-2016, 09:07 AM
I LOVE my salmon pads, but I'm using aluminum ribs rather than CF.

ariw
02-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Swiss stop yellows - work for both materials

Cicli
02-20-2016, 07:14 PM
Looking at pads. Why do some say 2000 Campagnolo and some say 2011. Is there any difference?

Black Dog
02-20-2016, 07:45 PM
Looking at pads. Why do some say 2000 Campagnolo and some say 2011. Is there any difference?

Campy made a switch in the pad holder/pad design way back. Get the newer one unless you have the new callipers that are just labeled campagnolo (no group name like chorus etc); those holders use the shimano style pads.

Cicli
02-20-2016, 07:56 PM
Campy made a switch in the pad holder/pad design way back. Get the newer one unless you have the new callipers that are just labeled campagnolo (no group name like chorus etc); those holders use the shimano style pads.

2015 Record brakes. New style it is.

regularguy412
02-20-2016, 08:13 PM
+1 on the Swiss Stop Black Prince pads. Just got a set for my new Mercury Carbon Clinchers. They do stop well (haven't tested in the wet yet). In fact, they stop better and modulation is better than the Swiss Stop Yellows that I've been using for 5 years on my Easton EC90 SL tubulars. I haven't put the Easton wheels on since I changed out the pads, so that will be interesting.

Have only ridden the Black Prince pads 3 times, but I got 33 very windy miles in today. Stopping power seemed much more solid -- tho it could possibly be attributable to the basalt-impregnated braking surface on the Mercurys.

Mike in AR:beer: