PDA

View Full Version : Bikeflights.com insurance claim

pdmtong
02-19-2016, 03:50 PM
I few weeks ago I packed and shipped a wheelset to another forum member.

The rear wheel arrived with a broken spoke at the nipple.

Packing was thorough (double wheel box, rim slots top/bottom, added cardboard at all tangent points. steel axle to align wheels, axle end caps, bubble wrap to prevent rattling) and the box arrived undamaged.

Of course if this spoke was going to break, it could have broken anytime. However, it broke in transit. I got a written shop repair estimate and sent that along with before, packing, and arrival pictures Sunday afternoon (they are closed Sunday)

at 8:30am PST monday I got an email from bikeflights saying my claim was resolved and a notice from PayPal saying I had received funds.

obviously a broken spoke is a small dollar fixable item. somewhat bothered they found my PayPal account (well, it is the same as the email used to send) but of course happy the resolution was speedy.

That Sunday I had sent the buyer funds to cover the repair in advance of the bikeflights claim settling. That felt like the right thing to do for this clearly easily repairable case (regardless of the claim outcome), since buyer paid for a working wheel and so should get a working wheel. otherwise alternative would be to send it back to me. which was not what both of us wanted to do.

so, where does that leave us.

take before pictures
take packing pictures
take arrival pictures.
buy insurance
communicate with buyer (via voice)

who knows how they handle a serious issue like a dented TT but based on this, I can conclude you gotta help yourself by packing things right and taking pictures.

oldpotatoe
02-19-2016, 04:41 PM
I few weeks ago I packed and shipped a wheelset to another forum member.

The rear wheel arrived with a broken spoke at the nipple.

Packing was thorough (double wheel box, rim slots top/bottom, added cardboard at all tangent points. steel axle to align wheels, axle end caps, bubble wrap to prevent rattling) and the box arrived undamaged.

Of course if this spoke was going to break, it could have broken anytime. However, it broke in transit. I got a written shop repair estimate and sent that along with before, packing, and arrival pictures Sunday afternoon (they are closed Sunday)

at 8:30am PST monday I got an email from bikeflights saying my claim was resolved and a notice from PayPal saying I had received funds.

obviously a broken spoke is a small dollar fixable item. somewhat bothered they found my PayPal account (well, it is the same as the email used to send) but of course happy the resolution was speedy.

That Sunday I had sent the buyer funds to cover the repair in advance of the bikeflights claim settling. That felt like the right thing to do for this clearly easily repairable case (regardless of the claim outcome), since buyer paid for a working wheel and so should get a working wheel. otherwise alternative would be to send it back to me. which was not what both of us wanted to do.

so, where does that leave us.

take before pictures
take packing pictures
take arrival pictures.
buy insurance
communicate with buyer (via voice)

who knows how they handle a serious issue like a dented TT but based on this, I can conclude you gotta help yourself by packing things right and taking pictures.

Wrapped as it was, really surprised a spoke broke. Have a hard time imagining what the shipper might have done or done differently to prevent this. Particularly with no damage to box.
-confused

pdmtong
02-19-2016, 04:53 PM
Wrapped as it was, really surprised a spoke broke. Have a hard time imagining what the shipper might have done or done differently to prevent this. Particularly with no damage to box.
-confused

I agree. Very weird it broke and no apparent reason. But it went it good and came out bad. I bought insurance so filed a claim

Veloo
02-19-2016, 06:35 PM
Was there any damage to the packaging?

ultraman6970
02-19-2016, 06:52 PM
If not damage in the box well it could have been a problem with the nipple being or the top of the spoke ready to go. Jut fate that happened in transit.

Gsinill
08-25-2016, 08:30 AM

Just came across a posting on CR about the outstanding service those guys provide.
In a nutshell: guy had a bike shipped for his daughter's cross country ride via bikeflights.com.
When it arrived, it had a dent in the DT, still rideable but serious enough to impact the resale value.
The bike was special prepped for the trip and it would have been impossible to find a replacement on time.
Bikeflight.com was willing to let her finish the ride and replace the frame 10 weeks later after the tour was over.
Kudos!

idrinkwater
08-25-2016, 09:45 AM
bikeflights is a stand up company

bobswire
08-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Good to know,now someone buy a bike from me so I can use their service,though at this time I don't have a bike for sale.

pdmtong
08-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Was there any damage to the packaging?

No exterior damage