PDA

View Full Version : London knowledge?

flydhest
02-19-2016, 11:53 AM
I will be spending a lot of time in London when I start my new job. About 8 weeks or so out of the year. Not continuously, though.

First, any bike related advice? Good shops? Rentals? Rides that get you out of town?

Second, initially I will, at most rent a bike for rides, but we will see how my work schedule there develops. There used to be a shop in DC called Cyclelife where you could store a bike. Does anything like that exist in London?

Any other thoughts welcome.

bicycletricycle
02-19-2016, 12:00 PM
They have wild urban foxes in the London now, they are cute.

no actual helpful information, sorry.

dzxc
02-19-2016, 12:06 PM
I liked Cyclelife a lot, I was sorry to see they closed. Their group rides were hammerfests. I commuted between DC and London for a while. Can't suggest any place to store a bike in London, but there is a Rapha store in Piccadilly that's easily accessible via the tube. Maybe consider doing the Rapha Cycle Club where they give you a bike?

Benneke
02-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Does anyone know what happened to CycleLife? I used to work there a few years ago, then moved away and lost touch with most of the people there. Business was always incredibly slow, but the owners always kept the shop open for tax reasons (the building it was in was incredibly valuable, and they owned the building).

For storing a bike in London, I would also recommend the Rapha Cycle Club program, you get a nice bike to use for less than a rental or bike shipping and a lot less hassle. The program is pretty much designed for people like you.

dzxc
02-19-2016, 12:21 PM
I think it was a combination of high rents, their $300/mo members club not bringing in money, and the fact that there were three other bike shops within a five minute walk that did them in. Really liked the shop though, and especially the Acme pies. Loved Acme also because they shop up at every race with their pie truck and often give pie primes.

uno-speedo
02-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Group rides (http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/rides/archive), rentals (coming soon, and some bikes off the record), friendly staff, competitive pricing (Wiggle, CRC etc) easy access to the Surrey Hills and surrounding areas: www.sigmasport.co.uk

I'm sure they'd be happy to store a bike for you too. PM me if you want more specifics.

goonster
02-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Sorry, I thought you said knowledge . . .

http://earthyphotography.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/120402-black-cab-knowledge-03.jpg

bicycletricycle
02-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Brompton has a bike hire scheme now, saw one of the stations last time i was in london.

https://www.bromptonbikehire.com/

Louis
02-19-2016, 12:44 PM
They have wild urban foxes in the London now, they are cute.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/migration_catalog/article28857875.ece/ALTERNATES/h342/i%20Hendrix

verticaldoug
02-19-2016, 01:04 PM
If the bike is really nice and a 54, I will store for you in my flat.
------------------------------------------------------------
I'll even exercise your bike while you are gone so it stays in shape.

If you are here for only 8 weeks in total and working, I would not worry about a bike. You only have weekends for being a tourist, and 8 weekends will disappear awfully fast.

(I'd book a weekend trip to Skye if you can swing it and run the ridge. or go to the Lake District, or to Snowdonia, or Hadrian's Wall at walltown crag, or .....)

crashnburn
02-19-2016, 01:45 PM
There are some shops that do rent out hybrids and road bikes depending on your location.

I usually just take the bike share from time to time for moving around.
Unless you want to get a Brompton and use that during your travels (or an SS coupled bike).

The Brompton shop down at Covent Garden is great visiting too. They have the first model downstairs. I always drop by here to see if I can convince myself to get one.

I will actually be in London for the next 2-3 weeks for work.

There are also some vintage bike shops within the city that you can check out.

PaulE
02-19-2016, 02:46 PM
They ride and drive on the wrong side of the road over there! Almost all of the cyclists I've seen on the streets in London use headlights and rear red flashers.

London has a citibike program that is sponsored by Santander Bank and they refer to them as Boris Bikes.

You will enjoy it. Wishing you success in the new job too!

cnighbor1
02-19-2016, 02:55 PM
do a search for above
all about cycling in London
and there is a web site for cycling all of England another for all europe

Neil
02-19-2016, 05:26 PM
As has been said, easiest thing for you would I suspect be to join the RCC and grab a Canyon from either the Raphe in Soho or Spitalfields.

It's £15/day, the bikes are new, you'll get a free coffee at either end of your ride.

Joxster
02-19-2016, 05:35 PM
No one has mentioned that London is rubbish and the car drivers will do everything to run you over (lived and worked there for 4yrs, also the reason I stopped riding on the road) Get a place out of London so you can enjoy the ride, the downside is the commute into work. Or get a place near Richmond park and ride there every night

uno-speedo
02-19-2016, 05:59 PM
Rapha and Canyon, both supporting your LBS. Go for it!

flydhest
02-19-2016, 06:35 PM
As has been said, easiest thing for you would I suspect be to join the RCC and grab a Canyon from either the Raphe in Soho or Spitalfields.

It's £15/day, the bikes are new, you'll get a free coffee at either end of your ride.

Sounds great. I will be near Soho, so that helps. As the year progresses, I hope to get either morning or evening rides in. Until May or so, will likely be at the gym in the hotel for most exercise. Still, a boy can dream.

Anyone in London want an irregular running partner until more daylight arrives?

BobC
02-19-2016, 08:39 PM
20 years ago I used to work near Rickmansworth (north London). I could head out west, cross the M25 & head through Amersham to Wymcombe. Beautiful ride.

Of course that was 20 years ago.

02-19-2016, 11:05 PM
Lived in Chelsea for two years not long ago, and couldn't find a safe ride short of driving out of town on a weekend. Roads are slick and oily, drivers are nuts, curbs come and go at will. I loved riding and racing when I lived in Belgium and the Netherlands and at least some French cities (not Paris), but London is awful. You don't even see that many bikes. Get out into the countryside and if the day is nice it's beautiful riding -- weekend rides can be gorgeous and scenic. There's definitely something to be said for coupled or folding bikes -- you quickly realize why so many Brits love them. You can carry them on a train without being hassled, they fit in the boot of your car without a problem, and you can stash them almost anywhere. Plan on fenders and definitely lights -- the bobbies in small towns will pull you over and make you walk home if they catch you with a bike without a light. Some expect to see a generator unit and have trouble believing a small LED light can be so blinding, so expect to be quizzed occasionally. And there isn't much of a premium in club rides on the newest Colnago or Parlee. Lots of steel and a lot of it is skinny tubes. I hadn't seen Simplex derailleurs in the US for forty years, but saw lots in England. Still, it's a great place to ride by yourself and the club rides are more entertaining than almost any in the US, especially since they start and end not at Starbucks but at local taverns.

Neil
02-20-2016, 02:56 AM
Sounds great. I will be near Soho, so that helps. As the year progresses, I hope to get either morning or evening rides in. Until May or so, will likely be at the gym in the hotel for most exercise. Still, a boy can dream.

Anyone in London want an irregular running partner until more daylight arrives?

My office is 5/10 mins walk from the Raphe, at lunch I run round Regents Park- one round the park and back gets you about 6k, leaves you time for lunch and you are running in daylight. Training on the bike you have different clubs using he outer circle of Regents both early morning and after work.

What size frame do you ride?

flydhest
02-20-2016, 04:31 AM
Neil, that is great. I looked at Google maps and that seems like an interesting run for me. I ride between 58 and 60 cm frames.

jemoryl
02-20-2016, 10:03 AM
Sorry, I thought you said knowledge . . .

http://earthyphotography.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/120402-black-cab-knowledge-03.jpg

This is what I thought of when I first saw this thread.
For those not familiar: http://london-taxi.co.uk/the-knowledge/

fuzzalow
02-20-2016, 11:14 AM
This is what I thought of when I first saw this thread.
For those not familiar: http://london-taxi.co.uk/the-knowledge/

Leave it to the Brits to actually demand of their drivers to deliver a service that is useful to to the passenger. Here in NYC the only requirement is they have a license and are breathing.

I had one cabbie almost hit me when in having his side turn red, he stopped but then decided to proceed across Lexington Avenue anyway. I'm headed downtown and, like most bikes or pedestrians do, when you see the crossing traffic's light has gone red, you go. Only this time this guy comes through on red after stopping but winds up half-sticking out on the Avenue because crossing pedestrians have already blocked him from making it all the way through. I yell at the cabbie "Whoa, what the hellaya doin'?".

Here was the funny thing. The cabbie rolls down his window and starts arguing with me. Maybe in 10% English and the rest in who knows what language. And the 10% of English he knew were profanities and expletives. I hadda laugh because the cabbie looked just like the actor that played the Somali pirate leader in the Tom Hanks film "Captain Phillips".

Another trivial drama to be ignored. I went around the back of his cab, with an eye that the cab's back-up lights weren't on as in case the angry SOB would mess with me as I went around the back of his cab. And went on along my way on just another beautiful day.

stev0
02-20-2016, 10:04 PM
I think that there's wonderful riding from London in every direction, more or less. it just wont be very pretty till you get near or clear of the M25, the motorway/ring road that surrounds greater London.

Going north should give you the best shot to clear the M25 quickly. I also think north London has less cars and ����ty roads than other directions. (You can always take a train out past M25 and ride around the countryside if the city roads bother you). I like riding up through Potter's Bar late at night.

Dulwich Paragon are a decent group to ride with (Rapha didn't have a shop or organized rides when I was around, but the one or two events they put on were well run) - And the three main places you'll find lots of cyclists are probably Regents Park, Richmond park, (do laps inside the park) and Hampstead Heath (ride around/outside).

Good destinations for short jaunts are Box Hill in Surrey, the Chilterns, and Brighton (a bit farther out). Nice thing is, you can easily think about going 100 miles out and taking the train back in the same day. Lots of winding country roads, not much climbing in any direction.

Nice rides to Bath/Bristol, Cheltenham, Kings Lynn, Dulwich. tons of fun options if you stay away from the big roads. Some of the best riding in England is in Somerset (Cheddar Gorge (http://www.bikersarewelcome.com/images/cheddar_gorge1.jpg)!), but that's a ways away.

edit: Herne Hill velodrome! they run saturday sessions when the weather is good, and rent bikes of most sizes so.. show up with pedals/shoes/helmet and you're good to go. if you haven't tried track riding, would highly recommend it. (of course, there's the new olympic velodrome, but I haven't been . Would expect it to be more expensive and less accessible)

Neil
02-21-2016, 05:44 AM
Neil, that is great. I looked at Google maps and that seems like an interesting run for me. I ride between 58 and 60 cm frames.

I can lend you a bike that might work- same geo as a 58cm Cannondale (modelled on my old System Six).

flydhest
02-21-2016, 06:52 AM
I can lend you a bike that might work- same geo as a 58cm Cannondale (modelled on my old System Six).

Pm'd you. Very generous offer.

oldpotatoe
02-21-2016, 07:02 AM
No one has mentioned that London is rubbish and the car drivers will do everything to run you over (lived and worked there for 4yrs, also the reason I stopped riding on the road) Get a place out of London so you can enjoy the ride, the downside is the commute into work. Or get a place near Richmond park and ride there every night

Well said from another Scot(well, thrice removed but still have relatives outside of Inverness....) about the english....

Neil
02-21-2016, 01:56 PM
My commute is just under 10 miles each way, I do that daily and often add either Regents or Richmond park laps onto one or both.

Are there dangerous drivers? Yes, absolutely. Does the Metropolitan Police force do a good job of enforcing the laws we have to combat dangerous driving? No, absolutely not - they are extremely poor at this, sadly.

With all that said I'm looking forward to riding to work tomorrow.

flydhest
02-22-2016, 05:58 PM
Why the hate for London? It is a pretty amazing city with history, culture, food, energy. I am looking forward to learning it a lot better with my new job. I am also fortunate that Neil has proven such a generous soul to help me adjust for the time I will spend there.

And of course, any of the cycling complaints could be said of any city, so not sure where any negative energy comes from.

Louis
02-22-2016, 06:05 PM
Now get this..

London calling, yes, I was there, too
An' you know what they said? Well, some of it was true!
London calling at the top of the dial
And after all this, won't you give me a smile?

flydhest
03-16-2016, 01:18 AM
So, got my first ride in in London! This week is my second week in London for the new job. The first week, week before last, was a blur of everything new for work. Work all day, have dinner with the new colleagues because I am the new guy. Although I had access to a bike in principle (thanks Neil!) it wasnt going to happen. This week, made sure the new hotel would let me keep a bike. Neil came through again and lent me one of his rides. Just got back from some spirited laps around Regents Park.

London is not a bad town to ride through--at least between 6 and 7 am ;)http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160316/bd89c51662d953bf6c93bbc3d297a7df.jpg

Louis
03-16-2016, 01:29 AM
Cool.

Neat minimalist fenders on the bike. Just out of curiosity, what's that under the nose of the saddle?

Also, did it take you long to adjust to riding on the wrong side of the road?

flydhest
03-16-2016, 01:56 AM
Need to check out the saddle. I noticed it but was short on time so didn't investigate.

Riding on the "wrong" side of the road is a bit odd for me. I made a mistake twice but no cars were around, so it didn't matter. Most of the ride was laps in a paceline, so it was following a wheel like any other ride. May do some exploring the three mornings I have left this week and that will be more revealing. Instincts are definitely deeply embedded though, as to where to look.

paredown
03-16-2016, 07:34 AM
Need to check out the saddle. I noticed it but was short on time so didn't investigate.

Riding on the "wrong" side of the road is a bit odd for me. I made a mistake twice but no cars were around, so it didn't matter. Most of the ride was laps in a paceline, so it was following a wheel like any other ride. May do some exploring the three mornings I have left this week and that will be more revealing. Instincts are definitely deeply embedded though, as to where to look.

Glad you found Regent's Park. Richmond Park has been mentioned a couple of times--there used to be a fair number of people blasting around on the weekend--it's pretty nice too. I used to cross at Putney, if I remember correctly--and there are some smaller roads that will get you there.

Adjusting to the wrong side--for me it was confusing for the first week or so, then it is like your brain segments into two separate programs for RH or LH driving--but you have to be extra careful when tired (or slightly impaired while cycling) since I think your brain reverts to the RH side as reflex when panicked or tired. There are lots of stories about English drivers being killed in France on the motorways, when they head out of the rest stops going the wrong direction, and head-on.

I also plotted a route along the Embankment on the London side--a combo of some paths, small roads etc--not direct, but you can make it all the way out to Hampton Court--good for a pokey ride, scenic and even a little bucolic even though you are close to the city. I did some rides closer to where we were living up to Hampstead Heath and around that area--just avoid the busiest roads like Edgeware.

I didn't find the London drivers that awful (except the mopeds and buses)--but you have to be really careful, because you are almost always dealing with oily roads (as mentioned), all the "road furniture" like constant speed humps etc, and lots of sections of very narrow roads with too many cars. Within the congestion zone, buses are the #1 threat.

Sunday mornings though you can ride almost anywhere--we cruised all over--Chelsea, the City and Embankment before all the hordes woke up.

zap
03-16-2016, 08:28 AM
Curious to see how Fly finds the cycling in London, England v Washington, D.C.

flydhest
03-16-2016, 01:03 PM
Sadly, Zap, won't be able to make a good comparison. Only here for a work week at a time, so will not get weekend riding in. That said, Regents Park in the morning is pretty similar to Hains Point in the morning

Stephen2014
03-16-2016, 07:06 PM
They ride on the British side of the road, (like America did before the revolution) not the French side.

bontie
03-16-2016, 10:40 PM
If you want to ride in Richmond Park, dont go on weekends, far too busy. For a friendly ride on a Sunday morning, join the 8:30 am ride from Www.girocycles.co.uk. Nice country lanes and a brilliant coffee shop !

Neil
03-17-2016, 04:58 AM
Cool.

Neat minimalist fenders on the bike. Just out of curiosity, what's that under the nose of the saddle?

Also, did it take you long to adjust to riding on the wrong side of the road?

It's the mount for a GoPro, AKA "Dong-cam".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB8yNDddoQw

flydhest
03-17-2016, 07:05 AM
Aha!
On a different note, another beautiful sunny day in London. No, seriously.

coffeecake
03-17-2016, 09:19 AM
It's the mount for a GoPro, AKA "Dong-cam".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB8yNDddoQw

It's like I'm living in the KuKu Penthouse! :D