PDA

View Full Version : anybody here doing this ride?

Blastinbob
06-08-2006, 08:22 AM
I like the new enduro race, I think it will be much safer for those that compete.

RAAM's Makeover

The 25th Race Across America begins this Sunday at 9 a.m. in Oceanside, California. It's bound to be among the most interesting RAAMs ever with the introduction of the Solo Enduro division in which riders are required to be off the bike an average of four hours a day.

The Enduro division puts emphasis on speed and strategy while the Traditional division is more about sleepless endurance. Still, 14 men and 2 women have opted to stick with Traditional RAAM and its unrestricted format.

Thirteen men (no women), including those with the biggest names, have chosen the Enduro division. The favorite is Slovenia's Jure Robic, 41, gunning for a record third straight solo victory. Chief challengers are Jonathan Boyer, 51, the 1985 RAAM champion and first American to ride in the Tour de France; Tinker Juarez, 45, the Olympic mountain bike racer turned ultramarathon cyclist; and Kenny Souza, 42, a world champion duathlete who last year won the Furnace Creek 508 in record time.

RAAM's team competition, featuring teams ranging from two to eight riders, begins at 2 p.m. PT on June 13. Included are a dozen four-man teams, the fastest of which should cover the 3,043 miles to the finish in Atlantic City, New Jersey, in less than six days.

For pre-race info and hourly updates once the flag drops, click http://www.raceacrossamerica.org

fiamme red
06-08-2006, 08:51 AM
http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/files/raam2006/riders/boyer_jonathan_2006.htm

"Q. Considering all sports, what were the events or outcomes that most impacted your life in both negative and positive manners?

"Goodwood England World Championships when Greg Lemond cased me down in the last kms with Guiseppi Saronni and the pack on his wheel to catch me with 150meters to the finish... He said afterwards that he did not care who won as long as it was not me...."

I also see that Jonathan Boyer has found Jesus.

stevep
06-08-2006, 08:59 AM
i still have a video of that race. there was no way that boyer was going to win imho.
if you watch the finish i cannot see any way that the move would have stuck... and i daresay it was decided quite a bit further out that 150m to go.
i understand his unhappiness... but wishes dont make race results.

Too Tall
06-08-2006, 09:06 AM
I've got a bunch of good friends in the race. Should be interesting as always to see dramas play out. Enduro or not you won't see much diff. in the times.

Boyer's orig. RAAM bike is hanging in a bike shop near me.

Man I REALLY want to race this and said I'd do it when I turned 50. Patience patience patience.

Blastinbob
06-08-2006, 08:46 PM
24-HOUR CORPORATE TEAM RAAM RIDER NEEDED:
We realize this is very, very last minute, but we thought we'd put the word out that 24-Hour Corporate Team RAAM riders, team "Pam Reed's Badwater Crew" is looking for a rider to join them in racing from Oceanside to Flagstaff, AZ - starting THIS SUNDAY.

Anyone interested, please contact Scott Scheff at either scottscheff@juno.com or via telephone at 818-726-3233.

For info on the Race Across America, including the team and solo races, click here: http://www.raceacrossamerica.org

Good luck to all the racers!

-Minister of Racing

Fixed
06-08-2006, 09:45 PM
bro is that the old geezer race across america ? is j.b. out of jail ?

RABikes2
06-08-2006, 10:02 PM
I've got a bunch of good friends in the race. Should be interesting as always to see dramas play out. Enduro or not you won't see much diff. in the times.

Boyer's orig. RAAM bike is hanging in a bike shop near me.

Man I REALLY want to race this and said I'd do it when I turned 50. Patience patience patience.
TT... :)
Hard to believe a year has gone by since I crewed on RAAM 2005. When you reach the big 50 and if you need a crew member, just say the word Big Guy, I'm there for you. ;)
RA :D