PDA

View Full Version : Clement XPlor USH Reviews

Rpoole8537
02-18-2016, 12:52 PM
Hello Paceliners, I'm building a Soma Smothies ES for riding dirt roads and fire trails. I am considering the Clement XPlor USH in a 35. Does anyone have any experience with these tires. They will go on Open Pro rims. Also, I'll consider the MSO, but I don't think it comes in a 35. Thanks!

DrSpoke
02-18-2016, 01:08 PM
The MSO is coming out tubeless in a 36mm if that might fit.

dawgie
02-18-2016, 01:19 PM
A couple of my friends are using the Clement USH 35s and 40s on their gravel bikes and really like them. I have been using Clement LAS 33s, which measure 36 mm on my Dyad rims. They roll very nice on roads as well as gravel and dirt, and weigh quite a bit less than the USH. I used the LAS tires on a loaded tour from Pittsburgh to DC on the GAP-C&O Canal trails, as well as unloaded trips on the Virginia Creeper and Greenbrier River trails. All of these trails were mostly crushed gravel with some muddy stretches and the Clements handled them all nicely. The LAS would roll nicer on the roads, and the USH would probably handle mud and dirt a little better. The width of the LAS 33 is about the same as an USH 35.

zzy
02-18-2016, 01:23 PM
Love em. I have a set of the 60tpi ones and theyre the best gravel tires I've found that still roll well on the road. Definitely benefit dropping the pressure from 80psi to 60 for off road riding. Since I have to ride out to most of my gravel runs the tires are a good compromise.

sandyrs
02-18-2016, 01:23 PM
I used the USH as a rear tire on my cross bike for trail riding for hundreds of miles. I would say it has essentially no more grip on anything loose than a good high volume slick like a Compass. On the other hand it was quite durable until I wore it through, and it rolled well on the road.

pavel
02-18-2016, 01:54 PM
USH tires are indestructible. I've had a pair for 3 years now that see dirt and road use. I've never gotten a puncture.

Having said that, they're kind of crappy tires. As an "all arounder" they dont really do anything particularly well and the ride isnt all that spectacular even with the 120 version. Pretty good on the road i guess.

GRAVELBIKE
02-18-2016, 02:10 PM
I do most of my unpaved riding on high-volume road tires. My favorites are the Compass Barlow Pass (700x38), but the new Maxxis Re-Fuse (700x40) work better when set up tubeless. When inflated to 30/40 (front/rear) there's plenty of cushion and traction on dirt and gravel.

chiasticon
02-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Love em. I have a set of the 60tpi ones and theyre the best gravel tires I've found that still roll well on the road.same. big fan of 'em. usually at 60psi rear/55 front. can drop a little lower if it's gonna be mostly unpaved. my favorite experience with them was a 60 mile loop that included about 30 miles of unpaved michigan back roads; lots of loose sand and dirt. they never packed up or squirmed out on me and they cornered brilliantly, plus they were plenty fast for the other half of the ride that was on pavement. word from clement is that jeremy powers is a big fan of 'em for his mixed road rides as well. good company :cool:

commonguy001
02-18-2016, 02:50 PM
I've put probably 4K miles on the USH and another 2k on the MSO.
They roll pretty well and are fairly tough for the weight.
Looking at the 36mm MSO for running tubeless this year but haven't had any issues with flats running tubes with the standard model.

Overall a great tire if you're going to be running them on dirt or gravel on a regular basis.

I did have one USH separate at the bead but I don't think it's a problem with the tires, just think it's one of those things.

cinema
02-18-2016, 03:03 PM
Love em. I have a set of the 60tpi ones and theyre the best gravel tires I've found that still roll well on the road. Definitely benefit dropping the pressure from 80psi to 60 for off road riding. Since I have to ride out to most of my gravel runs the tires are a good compromise.

i agree on 60tpi version not only do they eat up dirt and gravel they are fast on pavement. I commute on them. then hit the trails. the 60 tpi version is stiff and bombproof i have not flatted yet and have a couple thousand miles on them. will buy another set when they die which may not be for a while.

brownhound
02-18-2016, 03:30 PM
I have the 120 version on my commuter/gravel bike. I like that its central channel is smoother, making it more road-friendly than other gravel or cross tires. Got one pinch flat when taking the "low pressure" challenge.

Bruce K
02-18-2016, 03:33 PM
I use nothing except Clement for my off-raid rigs (cx & gravel)

Great tires

BK

kevinvc
02-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Hello Paceliners, I'm building a Soma Smothies ES for riding dirt roads and fire trails. I am considering the Clement XPlor USH in a 35. Does anyone have any experience with these tires. They will go on Open Pro rims. Also, I'll consider the MSO, but I don't think it comes in a 35. Thanks!

Sorry to threadjack somewhat, but I'm really interested to hear how the bike works for you. I have an ES that I've taken on very short dirt and loose gravel roads a couple of times and it performed well, especially considering it had 28 road slicks on it. I'm thinking of trying it on some longer off-road trips or even bike-camping this summer but am not sure how well it would do on several hour or multi-day rides.

Also, what brakes do you have and how do you like their performance? I've got a set of Tektro 539 calipers and I'm not completely sold on them. It's always nice to hear about more Somas getting some love.

Rpoole8537
02-18-2016, 07:50 PM
Kevinvc, I haven't finished the build yet. I have the same brake that you have, the Tektro. If I don't like them, I may try different shoes, such as Kool Stop. I have also found that rims can vary. I once had a pair of Bontragers that I sold at a big loss because I could not get my bike to stop. They were also a pain when changing a flat on the side of the road when it was 95 degrees. If I must, I'll try different brakes. I'm building mine with Nitto Mustache bars, which I like, although I haven't really ridden on dirt with them. It's an experiment, I guess! I think I'm sold on the Clement XPlor. I'll get them ordered.

bismo37
02-19-2016, 12:19 AM
I like the USH tires. Pretty durable. They do okay on the road. I have the 60 tpi and thought I'd regret not getting the 120 tpi, but in reality, gravel roads are so rough that the subtleties of 60 vs 120 tpi are lost on me, whereas psi is more important.

chiasticon
02-19-2016, 07:10 AM
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/1389480_899553083469426_1922759141_n.jpg?ig_cache_ key=MTA2MzMwNjI5NjM5NDAyOTIyMw%3D%3D.2

weisan
02-19-2016, 07:37 AM
I haven't tried the Clements yet but so far I have only heard good things about them. If you yearn for something wider or fatter, do consider the Bruce Gordon Rock n Road. I would imagine they ride very similar.

sandyrs
02-19-2016, 07:42 AM
I haven't tried the Clements yet but so far I have only heard good things about them. If you yearn for something wider or fatter, do consider the Bruce Gordon Rock n Road. I would imagine they ride very similar.

I haven't ridden the Rock n Road because I haven't had a bike that would fit it, but between the extra volume and more aggressive tread, I would imagine the Rock n Road is a much more capable off road tire. The USH is fine for dirt roads, fire roads, light singletrack, etc. but it really has no bite to speak of for use on looser stuff.

Rpoole8537
02-19-2016, 10:09 AM
I have another question for Dawgie. You say that the LAS measures out to be 36mm. Looks like you are running fenders. So the LAS 33mm have clearance with fenders? Do you like the LAS on pavement? (BTW, nice looking bike!)

weisan
02-19-2016, 11:42 AM
I haven't ridden the Rock n Road because I haven't had a bike that would fit it, but between the extra volume and more aggressive tread, I would imagine the Rock n Road is a much more capable off road tire. The USH is fine for dirt roads, fire roads, light singletrack, etc. but it really has no bite to speak of for use on looser stuff.

Agreed.

dawgie
02-19-2016, 01:27 PM
I have another question for Dawgie. You say that the LAS measures out to be 36mm. Looks like you are running fenders. So the LAS 33mm have clearance with fenders? Do you like the LAS on pavement? (BTW, nice looking bike!)

The LAS measures 36 mm wide on my Velocity Dyad rims, so it might be closer to 33 mm on narrower rims. The fenders are SKS Longboard 45s and have plenty of clearance, but that is more a function of the bike frame. My Soma Saga is supposed to handle tires at least 40 mm with fenders, but I haven't tried anything wider than the Clements. The LAS roll very nicely on pavement for a tire with some tread. In fact, they seem to roll nicer on the road than Panaracer Paselas.

OLB
02-26-2016, 05:21 PM
I have used the 700x35 USH on open pros for dirt and crushed gravel and really like it. I have only used it on larger loose gravel once and it didn't do as well, but very few tires would. I find the USH to be a great all around tire, but I tend to use it more when some dirt/gravel is involved.

sparky33
02-26-2016, 06:07 PM
The Schwalbe G-One is a great mixed terrain tire in 700x35 if you like low profile tread, measures about 36 on Pacenti SL23s. Easy tubeless tire.

sparky33
02-26-2016, 06:12 PM
I use nothing except Clement for my off-raid rigs (cx & gravel)

Great tires

BK

Clement is great. I recently rediscovered a pair of MXP clinchers in my bin and I've been riding them all over lately. They feel really good everywhere. A plump tire for the size.
Looking forward to the tubeless Clement offerings.

Corso
02-26-2016, 06:16 PM
2 seasons on a set of the ‘cheap” versions, and zero complaints. I like them. When they go, I’ll try the 120tpi ones.

Dromen
03-21-2016, 12:24 PM
USXs on pavement seem slow. I usually pair a USX 35 on rear and 40 MSO on front. Bike seems to roll faster with the 35/40 combo on pavement than with the USX 35s on front and rear.

Now on right gravel conditions.... the 35/40 combo made it thru DK200 last year with out a flat set up with tubes.

All i know.

Powerfibers
03-21-2016, 12:33 PM
These might make a great choice for the non-race cross bike. Good all rounder tire for my fall jaunts in a larger wheel size.

stephenmarklay
03-21-2016, 01:44 PM
I put some on my commute bike yesterday. I have not read any reviews but I had an REI dividend burning a hole in my pocket.

I am impressed by how they ride. I took the bike out on a 30 mile gravel jaunt yesterday and I they did great and at 60/65 they felt great.

:beer:

weisan
03-21-2016, 04:27 PM
I know I have said this probably far too many times.....

if it can fit on your bike, do give this some consideration.
http://www.bgcycles.com/new-page/

stephenmarklay
03-21-2016, 06:07 PM
I know I have said this probably far too many times.....

if it can fit on your bike, do give this some consideration.
http://www.bgcycles.com/new-page/

Nope not too many times as this is my first exposure. I will keep them in mind.

GRAVELBIKE
03-21-2016, 07:11 PM
Kenda, Maxxis, and Panaracer all offer 700x40 tires that work well on gravel, dirt, and pavement. They're all tubeless compatible, and that makes a big difference in performance and comfort.

jwess1234
03-21-2016, 09:46 PM
Slight drift, but these new WTB Exposure 34 look interesting for when you need to ride road to get to the trails:

weisan
03-22-2016, 01:20 AM
Slight drift, but these new WTB Exposure 34 look interesting for when you need to ride road to get to the trails:

http://www.wtb.com/products/exposure-30c
Hey hey, look at that....the perfect D2R2 tire? :rolleyes:
:beer:

geeter
03-22-2016, 07:20 PM
Putting a vote in for the MSOs. I have used them on 3 gravel centuries, a light tour, and plenty of commuting. The clincher might be the easiest tire to mount and dismount I have ever owned.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk