PDA

View Full Version : Canadian (Road) Cycling Destinations?

eBAUMANN
02-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Starting to think about potential vacation destinations for this year...tempted to head up north due to the very friendly exchange rate :)

Can anyone suggest a few areas worth checking out?
Looking for some good roads, paved or not paved...

Bonus points for huge mountains or central/eastern spots.

Thanks in advance for your input!

:banana:

45K10
02-17-2016, 03:42 PM
Road or MTB?
I lived in Vancouver a couple of years ago and could give you some ideas out in BC but I bet you will also get some good input from the resident Canadians on the forum.

eBAUMANN
02-17-2016, 04:12 PM
Knew I forgot something...road, yea, paved or otherwise ;)

monkeypants
02-17-2016, 04:14 PM
Banff -- and surrounding areas such as Canmore and Jasper -- is absolutely stunning. It's nestled in a valley surrounded by mountains (the Rockies). No shortage of outdoorsy things to do (road & mountain biking, hiking, climbing, canoeing, etc).

However, it can get very crowded (and pricey) during the high season.

mwynne
02-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Vancouver's got oodles, but if you go even further west to (my hometown area) Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands, you could do some awesome island-hopping (with or without bikepacking). Can get some good ferry and route planning info if you're interested.

makoti
02-17-2016, 04:39 PM
http://granfondobanff.com/

This looks interesting to me. Banff is stunning.

Lovetoclimb
02-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Victoria and the surrounding roads Ryder uses in his fondo are brilliant. Such good food and drink, and seemingly every road connects to a paved or crushed limestone bike-path, the network of which criss-crosses the city. Nice if you are starting or finishing your ride at high traffic times.

Caveat: I rode there 4 days total in mid July, absolutely perfect weather, and was hungover just about every morning so not vomiting on a ride was a big win.

Great and easily accessible hiking too if you want a break.

daker13
02-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Check out the Gaspe peninsula in Quebec--probably about a six or seven hour drive from Boston. Me and my family went on a road trip up there a couple summers ago, and we saw a ton of cyclists. Apparently it's a big cycling destination for Canadians--nice wide shoulders, good support, lots of hotels and campgrounds. (I didn't have my bike but I hope to go back.) The landscape actually reminded me of the Oregon coast, or Big Sur... Here are a couple of pics to give you a sense of the place. Feel free to pm me for more info.
http://imgur.com/a/IeGbZ

mktng
02-17-2016, 05:00 PM
Ottawa/Gatineau have some awesome routes.

leftyfreak
02-17-2016, 05:04 PM
Check out the Gaspe peninsula in Quebec--probably about a six or seven hour drive from Boston. Me and my family went on a road trip up there a couple summers ago, and we saw a ton of cyclists. Apparently it's a big cycling destination for Canadians--nice wide shoulders, good support, lots of hotels and campgrounds. (I didn't have my bike but I hope to go back.) The landscape actually reminded me of the Oregon coast, or Big Sur... Here are a couple of pics to give you a sense of the place. Feel free to pm me for more info.
http://<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/IeGbZ"><a href="//imgur.com/a/IeGbZ">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I've never ridden in Quebec, but it's always been appealing to me. The province puts quite a bit of tourism funding into the area. Check out this: http://www.routeverte.com/e/

And I'm going to try to beat Bradford to the punch, but you could also consider going to Cape Breton. He's toured on the island, so he'll be able to give you better info, but the Cabot Trail is one of the most beautiful roads around, and plenty hilly.

eddief
02-17-2016, 05:11 PM
historic Selkirk Loop to enjoy the beautiful mountains, rivers, and lakes of Eastern Washington, Southern British Columbia, and Northern Idaho. There is no better way to see this scenic byway than from your bicycle! The 540 mile trip starts and ends in Spokane, Washington and circles the spectacular Selkirk Mountains. We first ride north to Newport, Washington for the night. Then up the quiet east side of the Pend Oreille River crossing to the west side at Ione and on to Metaline Falls for the evening. We enter Canada at Nelway and head north to Nelson with its captivating heritage buildings, art galleries, and cafes. After a rest day in Nelson, we ride north along picturesque Slocan Lake to New Denver. Riding east the next morning, we climb a pass to the historic lake-side town of Kaslo, with a breathtaking view across Kootenay Lake to the Purcell mountains beyond. From Kaslo, a relatively short day allows a stop at the Ainsworth Hot Springs before arriving in Balfour. Next we ferry east across the lake and ride through rolling, agricultural, southern BC to Creston for the night. Leaving Creston, we re-cross the international border to Idaho and ride a beautiful orchard loop to Bonners Ferry. The short ride from Bonner's Ferry to Sandpoint, Idaho easily allows for an optional side trip to the Kootenai National Wildlife Refuge. Then it's on to Lake Coeur d'Alene and the upscale Coeur d'Alene Resort where we will have our closing dinner. On the final day, it's back to Spokane on the Centennial Trail, a dedicated, paved cycling and hiking trail along the Spokane River that leads right into downtown Spokane. DIFFICULTY: 11 riding days and one layover day; with the average riding day being 50 miles. The longest day is about 65 miles. This ride has a rating of 2B, with some 2C days. This ride uses mainly highways with varying shoulder widths. There will be days with significant climbs and long stretches without services, so riders need to be reasonably self sufficient in remote areas. As always, weather is always variable, particularly in the mountains

monkeypants
02-17-2016, 05:14 PM
I've never ridden in Quebec, but it's always been appealing to me. The province puts quite a bit of tourism funding into the area. Check out this: http://www.routeverte.com/e/

And I'm going to try to be Bradford to the punch, but you could also consider going to Cape Breton. He's toured on the island, so he'll be able to give you better info, but the Cabot Trail is one of the most beautiful roads around, and plenty hilly.

The only caveat regarding Cape Breton is that it can get awfully crowded during the high season. I suppose this is true of any popular tourist destination but it managed to sour my experience a bit.

distanc3
02-17-2016, 05:29 PM
eBAUMMAN, you should visit Vancouver BC!

Mid July
Crit for some $
http://www.globalrelayggp.org/race-details/race-day/

Aug 21st
Two hour-ish Ferry to the beautiful Vancouver Island
http://www.tourdevictoria.com/

Sept 10th
http://granfondowhistler.com/Forte

Popular "Triple Crown"
http://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/ridesevents/48-hours-in/48-hours-vancouver-triple-crown/

Lots of great food, breweries and neat things to see in Vancouver and Vancouver Island!

VanBikeGuy
02-17-2016, 05:49 PM
If its the summer, do you have coastal or a hotter desert climate (Okanagan)? If coastal, stay in Downtown Vancouver and ride Cypress and the surrounding area (North Shore, etc). Maybe try for a ride to Whistler one day (122km oneway ride from downtown Van, with lots of climbing) and stay in Whistler for a night.

sandyrs
02-17-2016, 05:57 PM
http://imgur.com/a/IeGbZ

Ooooooooh

Birddog
02-17-2016, 08:15 PM
historic Selkirk Loop to enjoy the beautiful mountains, rivers, and lakes of Eastern Washington, Southern British Columbia, and Northern Idaho. There is no better way to see this scenic byway than from your bicycle! The 540 mile trip starts and ends in Spokane, Washington and circles the spectacular Selkirk Mountains. We first ride north to Newport, Washington for the night. Then up the quiet east side of the Pend Oreille River crossing to the west side at Ione and on to Metaline Falls for the evening. We enter Canada at Nelway and head north to Nelson with its captivating heritage buildings, art galleries, and cafes. After a rest day in Nelson, we ride north along picturesque Slocan Lake to New Denver. Riding east the next morning, we climb a pass to the historic lake-side town of Kaslo, with a breathtaking view across Kootenay Lake to the Purcell mountains beyond. From Kaslo, a relatively short day allows a stop at the Ainsworth Hot Springs before arriving in Balfour. Next we ferry east across the lake and ride through rolling, agricultural, southern BC to Creston for the night. Leaving Creston, we re-cross the international border to Idaho and ride a beautiful orchard loop to Bonners Ferry. The short ride from Bonner's Ferry to Sandpoint, Idaho easily allows for an optional side trip to the Kootenai National Wildlife Refuge. Then it's on to Lake Coeur d'Alene and the upscale Coeur d'Alene Resort where we will have our closing dinner. On the final day, it's back to Spokane on the Centennial Trail, a dedicated, paved cycling and hiking trail along the Spokane River that leads right into downtown Spokane. DIFFICULTY: 11 riding days and one layover day; with the average riding day being 50 miles. The longest day is about 65 miles. This ride has a rating of 2B, with some 2C days. This ride uses mainly highways with varying shoulder widths. There will be days with significant climbs and long stretches without services, so riders need to be reasonably self sufficient in remote areas. As always, weather is always variable, particularly in the mountains

This is a great route. If you wanted, you could go further N and into Revelstoke and across to Banff and back down to the states.

bironi
02-17-2016, 08:38 PM
Several votes for the west. I'll add mine. The Canadian Rockies are spectacular, the Okanogan is great, Vancouver area is nice for an urban center with good riding nearby, Vancouver Island. Lots to choose from. You won't be disappointed.

Zoodles
02-17-2016, 09:03 PM
Ottawa with a side trip to Montreal!

Gatineau park is a stellar road ride and better yet when you include fire roads. No idea what the riding in Montreal is beyond mont royal but who cares, it's Montreal, you'll find stuff to keep busy.

eBAUMANN
02-17-2016, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

Had a feeling that heading out west would be the way to go for big-mountain type scenery and terrain.

The main factor here is the cost of airfare (+ bike fees) vs driving from boston to a more eastern area.

I should also mention that this trip would be focused almost entirely on riding, so city center type stuff is not as big of a deal.

d_douglas
02-17-2016, 10:16 PM
If its the summer, do you have coastal or a hotter desert climate (Okanagan)? If coastal, stay in Downtown Vancouver and ride Cypress and the surrounding area (North Shore, etc). Maybe try for a ride to Whistler one day (122km oneway ride from downtown Van, with lots of climbing) and stay in Whistler for a night.

I am with Bill on that.

I live on Vancouver Island, and it is pretty, but it does get better for cycling elsewhere in the country. However, if you hit the island, we ride the same sized bike - if you need a loaner.

I havent ridden in Banff, but I can't imagine that it could get better in Canada. Think Colorado, only with cheaper prices!

quattro
02-18-2016, 09:01 AM
The Ice Fiels Parkway between Banff and Jasper is beautiful. You are riding in a National Park, mostly camping, wide shoulders and good roads. Did this trip on a tandem with my wife, great time. Banff is a cool town, Lake Louise is nice as well.
Also road Cape Brettan, Cabot Trail, another beautiful ride, mostly camping but I think there are more hotels and B&B's now. Can't go wrong with either.

RonW87
02-18-2016, 10:05 AM
From Boston, I'd look at the Eastern Townships plus Quebec City. Feel like you're in France! With the exchange rate, go from one high end B&B to another.

achurch
02-18-2016, 10:23 AM
Eastern townships (the whole are just north of Jay peak between Montreal and Sherbrooke) is nice riding with lots of B&Bs. Rolling country side Think VT without the big climbs.

East of Quebec city north side of the St. Lawrence: hilly, hilly, hilly. Met a guy there once doing Trans-Canada said it was the hardest 300k of the trip. There are some long climbs and beautiful descents. More remote than townships. But fewer options as there are not a lot of roads.

Gaspe has some nice riding too. The last north south cut through is beautiful. All the way out around the tip is nice too--hilly!--think Cabot Trail type terrain. Lots of traffic though as there is really only one road.

Former Bostonian, now in Montreal. Get in touch if you want to talk more.

cheers,

andy

PS Good value now as our dollar at a 15 year low... and Quebec prices are friendly to begin with.

achurch
02-18-2016, 10:25 AM
I think the high speed ferry is back in service from Portland to Nova Scotia. Drive to Portland, hope the ferry with nothing but a bike and ride NS for 10 days. Beautiful riding there.

cdn_bacon
02-18-2016, 12:08 PM
here's some. # 8 is where my cottage is located. TONS of Ottawa and Quebec Randonneurs roll through, beautiful beach and very courteous drivers. Unfortunately I don't get up there enough.

Fundy Tidal Trail, N.B., New Brunswick: This 215-km road route begins and ends in Moncton. The main highlights are riding through Fundy National Park -- and a stop at Rocks Provincial Park, where the awesome Flower Pot Rocks have been carved out by the strength of the world's highest tides.

2. Greater Victoria Regional Trail System, Vancouver Island: After cycling across Victoria's Selkirk Trestle, cyclists soon arrive at the Regional Trail Switch Bridge, where riders can choose one of two worthwhile routes: The 29- km Lochside Trail north to Sidney or the 55-km Galloping Goose Trail west to Sooke.

3. Gatineau Hills, Ontario and Quebec: Ottawa alone offers more than 100 km of wonderful cycling trails, and a short ride across the Alexander Bridge and into Quebec leads to Gatineau Park, where cyclists can explore the area via the 30-km Promenade de la Gatineau Loop. This particular ride from Ottawa to the park and back (about 110 km) is best in the autumn -- so you can enjoy the brilliantly coloured foliage.

4. The Golden Triangle, Alberta and British Columbia: Explore the magnificent Canadian Rockies on this very challenging road ride of about 300 km, beginning and ending at Castle Mountain Junction. You'll ride through three spectacular national parks and encounter three mountain passes. Riders definitely work up a sweat on some long, gruelling climbs -- particularly through Kicking Horse Pass.

5. Icefields Parkway, Alberta: Linking Jasper and Lake Louise, this magnificent 232-km route in the heart of the Rockies is my personal favourite. Riders face two challenging mountain passes -- and several opportunities for side trips to fantastic hiking trails and spectacular lookouts. Be sure to stop at the Columbia Icefield.

6. Kettle Valley Railway Trail, B.C.: This abandoned railway bed winds for about 600 km through central B.C., between Hope and Midway. My favourite section of this route is Myra Canyon, near Kelowna. I cycled over 18 spectacular trestles and through two blasted rock tunnels in a mere 10 km. What a ride!

7. Magdalen Islands, Que.: This province offers the avid cyclist a wonderful trail system, but for something "a little different" and "a bit out of the way," I suggest a five-hour ferry ride from Souris, P.E.I., to the Magdalen Islands. You'll find lots of sand dunes, secluded beaches, rocky promontories -- and perhaps some very strong headwinds -- as you ride the 85-km route on this archipelago of islands in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

8. Prince Edward County, Ont.: "Quinte's Isle" is a beautiful peninsula in southeastern Ontario, just south of Belleville. Much of your ride is on quiet rural roads without a paved shoulder -- and the terrain is relatively flat. You'll pass several vineyards and might choose to stop for a wine tasting. Also check out Sandbanks Provincial Park, with its ocean-like setting and beautiful sand dunes.

9. P.E.I. National Park, P.E.I.: The paths and boardwalks found along this shorter (35 km) and relatively easy route offer opportunities for viewing sand dunes, red sandstone cliffs, and access to some of eastern Canada's finest beaches. I recommend rewarding yourself with a traditional lobster supper after the ride!

10. The Viking Trail, Nfld.: This challenging 450-km route takes riders from Deer Lake, along the rugged coast, through spectacular Gros Morne National Park, and onto the northern tip of Newfoundland (check out L'Anse aux Meadows). Be on the lookout for whales and icebergs along the coast -- and moose along the route!

guido
02-18-2016, 12:21 PM
snip...

10. The Viking Trail, Nfld.: This challenging 450-km route takes riders from Deer Lake, along the rugged coast, through spectacular Gros Morne National Park, and onto the northern tip of Newfoundland (check out L'Anse aux Meadows). Be on the lookout for whales and icebergs along the coast -- and moose along the route!

This looks amazing. Is Route 1 ride-able from St John's?

How big are the mosquitoes in this area?

DarkStar
02-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Banff -- and surrounding areas such as Canmore and Jasper -- is absolutely stunning. It's nestled in a valley surrounded by mountains (the Rockies). No shortage of outdoorsy things to do (road & mountain biking, hiking, climbing, canoeing, etc).

However, it can get very crowded (and pricey) during the high season.
Done plenty of riding in this area, mostly Kananskis. Can vouch for the excellent trails and gravel roads. Stayed with friends so no idea about cost of lodgings.
http://www.albertaparks.ca/kananaskis-country.aspx

DarkStar
02-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Eastern townships (the whole are just north of Jay peak between Montreal and Sherbrooke) is nice riding with lots of B&Bs. Rolling country side Think VT without the big climbs.

East of Quebec city north side of the St. Lawrence: hilly, hilly, hilly. Met a guy there once doing Trans-Canada said it was the hardest 300k of the trip. There are some long climbs and beautiful descents. More remote than townships. But fewer options as there are not a lot of roads.

Gaspe has some nice riding too. The last north south cut through is beautiful. All the way out around the tip is nice too--hilly!--think Cabot Trail type terrain. Lots of traffic though as there is really only one road.

cheers,

andy

PS Good value now as our dollar at a 15 year low... and Quebec prices are friendly to begin with.
As a Montrealer these are all excellent suggestions. The Eastern townships are easily my favorite nearby destinations.
Cheers

DarkStar
02-18-2016, 01:38 PM
here's some. # 8 is where my cottage is located. TONS of Ottawa and Quebec Randonneurs roll through, beautiful beach and very courteous drivers. Unfortunately I don't get up there enough.

Fundy Tidal Trail, N.B., New Brunswick: This 215-km road route begins and ends in Moncton. The main highlights are riding through Fundy National Park -- and a stop at Rocks Provincial Park, where the awesome Flower Pot Rocks have been carved out by the strength of the world's highest tides.

2. Greater Victoria Regional Trail System, Vancouver Island: After cycling across Victoria's Selkirk Trestle, cyclists soon arrive at the Regional Trail Switch Bridge, where riders can choose one of two worthwhile routes: The 29- km Lochside Trail north to Sidney or the 55-km Galloping Goose Trail west to Sooke.

3. Gatineau Hills, Ontario and Quebec: Ottawa alone offers more than 100 km of wonderful cycling trails, and a short ride across the Alexander Bridge and into Quebec leads to Gatineau Park, where cyclists can explore the area via the 30-km Promenade de la Gatineau Loop. This particular ride from Ottawa to the park and back (about 110 km) is best in the autumn -- so you can enjoy the brilliantly coloured foliage.

4. The Golden Triangle, Alberta and British Columbia: Explore the magnificent Canadian Rockies on this very challenging road ride of about 300 km, beginning and ending at Castle Mountain Junction. You'll ride through three spectacular national parks and encounter three mountain passes. Riders definitely work up a sweat on some long, gruelling climbs -- particularly through Kicking Horse Pass.

5. Icefields Parkway, Alberta: Linking Jasper and Lake Louise, this magnificent 232-km route in the heart of the Rockies is my personal favourite. Riders face two challenging mountain passes -- and several opportunities for side trips to fantastic hiking trails and spectacular lookouts. Be sure to stop at the Columbia Icefield.

6. Kettle Valley Railway Trail, B.C.: This abandoned railway bed winds for about 600 km through central B.C., between Hope and Midway. My favourite section of this route is Myra Canyon, near Kelowna. I cycled over 18 spectacular trestles and through two blasted rock tunnels in a mere 10 km. What a ride!

7. Magdalen Islands, Que.: This province offers the avid cyclist a wonderful trail system, but for something "a little different" and "a bit out of the way," I suggest a five-hour ferry ride from Souris, P.E.I., to the Magdalen Islands. You'll find lots of sand dunes, secluded beaches, rocky promontories -- and perhaps some very strong headwinds -- as you ride the 85-km route on this archipelago of islands in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

8. Prince Edward County, Ont.: "Quinte's Isle" is a beautiful peninsula in southeastern Ontario, just south of Belleville. Much of your ride is on quiet rural roads without a paved shoulder -- and the terrain is relatively flat. You'll pass several vineyards and might choose to stop for a wine tasting. Also check out Sandbanks Provincial Park, with its ocean-like setting and beautiful sand dunes.

9. P.E.I. National Park, P.E.I.: The paths and boardwalks found along this shorter (35 km) and relatively easy route offer opportunities for viewing sand dunes, red sandstone cliffs, and access to some of eastern Canada's finest beaches. I recommend rewarding yourself with a traditional lobster supper after the ride!

Love Prince Edward County, wonderful area. Feel like I've stepped back in time whenever riding there.

adrien
02-18-2016, 05:10 PM

cheers,

andy

This. My dad lives in the townships, about 10 miles from Vermoont. Big, empty roads, friendly border guards (yes, rides in and out of both countries are routine, and there's a great Sutton / Jay Peak loop) and the businesses are all very bike friendly.

giverdada
02-18-2016, 05:11 PM
i vote quebec.

i've ridden there a bit, not nearly enough, and it's gorgeous and so are the people and the culture and they actually like bikes. notoriously horrible drivers, a lot of the rural areas are actually pretty down with two-wheelers, and the climbing is better than anything in ontario. you can get there by car in a matter of hours, park, and be gone for days. not to mention: there's poutine and excellent beer to fuel every recovery! lakes all over the place to swim. the bike route certified accommodations all have locking bike storage and some other amenities that allow them to bear the bike route certified sign. the pavement is hit and miss but the hills are awesome. i travel according to budget and childcare and maximizing time in the saddle, so that's where my preferences are based. in terms of straight up riding, out west would be gorgeous, but it's never been in my budget. quebec is also gorgeous, and a unique cultural experience that i've always enjoyed and felt welcome in. give'r.

n.

zzy
02-18-2016, 05:34 PM
I also recommend The Eastern Townships. Lots of good riding in farm country south of Montreal. Even if it's just a bike trip I also strongly suggest a trip to MTL. It's cheap normally and with the current exchange I can promise you'll make your money go far there. Plus a ride thru Boul St. Laurent up to Mt Royal is a must (if you survive the traffic). PEI and MB have fantastic coastal riding. That Cape Breton ride sounds amazing too. If you want mountains the Canadian Rockies are stunning and VERY tall (they dwarf most Cols in the tour). Mountain biking at ski resorts in the summer is really fun too.

d_douglas
02-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Well, that all sounds pretty awesome. Makes me want to plant road trip without my family :)

i vote quebec.

i've ridden there a bit, not nearly enough, and it's gorgeous and so are the people and the culture and they actually like bikes. notoriously horrible drivers, a lot of the rural areas are actually pretty down with two-wheelers, and the climbing is better than anything in ontario. you can get there by car in a matter of hours, park, and be gone for days. not to mention: there's poutine and excellent beer to fuel every recovery! lakes all over the place to swim. the bike route certified accommodations all have locking bike storage and some other amenities that allow them to bear the bike route certified sign. the pavement is hit and miss but the hills are awesome. i travel according to budget and childcare and maximizing time in the saddle, so that's where my preferences are based. in terms of straight up riding, out west would be gorgeous, but it's never been in my budget. quebec is also gorgeous, and a unique cultural experience that i've always enjoyed and felt welcome in. give'r.

n.