PDA

View Full Version : Maestro UK Question

johnny1221
02-17-2016, 08:12 AM
I'm thinking about purchasing a Colnago frameset from Mike at Maestro UK. I've read on here that Mike is great to work with so no concerns there but I'm wondering if there are typically import duties in framesets imported into the U.S. From what I've read it seems to be a little hit or miss. If anyone has any experience they could share in that regard it would be much appreciated.

fuzzalow
02-17-2016, 09:10 AM
I had purchased a c-50 from Maestro/Mike. I know that there was no import duty levied to my purchase at the time. I cannot remember who was the international carrier in delivering the parcel, which we now know today is a preference to the Royal Mail as I have never known Her Majesty's mail courier to impose & collect duties.

We do know that all the major international carriers (UPS, FedEx, DHL) have instigated duty collection as a revenue stream in their businesses. You will very likely get dinged by duties for anything brought over by these companies. If at all possible, avoid these carriers for you prospective purchase. Mike is very well versed in shipping state-side and will already know this. Ask Mike about this and he will certainly give you a straight answer.

Idris Icabod
02-17-2016, 09:18 AM
I bought a C59 from Mike in 2012. I just checked (I keep old emails) and it was shipped via Parcel Force which is the post office. I didn't incur any import duty.

Mike responds to e-mail in a timely manner but before you call him for a chat make sure to clear a good block of time as he can talk!

merckx
02-17-2016, 09:19 AM
I purchased a master extralight from Mike about a dozen years ago. I did pay duties after it arrived. I don't remember how much, or who the carrier was.

RedRider
02-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Colnago USA does not warranty frames/bikes purchased outside the US.

kitsnob
02-17-2016, 04:38 PM
The warranty is only for 3 years, I believe or was it 5 years?
What are the chances that within that time frame you are going to have a warranty concern/claim?
It's not like its an German automobile ...

Polyglot
02-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Officially, you are always obliged to pay duties, no matter who the shipper or recipient is, as well as no matter who the carrier is. You should therefore always expect to pay duty. Most states can also legally claim sales tax on shipments arriving from out of state. This is the legal reality. The day-to-day reality is however quite different, as the USPS seems to be little interested in collecting duty that is owed and therefore virtually any shipment where the ultimate delivery is made by the post office will generally not result in a duty charge. You should however be advised that all shipment details, including value of shipments do get collected . At present it would seem that they go into a black hole and are not used but as best as I can tell there is nothing stopping the government from go back and retroactively collecting duties. Most states do charge sales tax for items imported from out of state if they can demonstrate an import has taken place (see vehicles imported from out of state even if already your personal property!).

mistermo
02-17-2016, 09:50 PM
Anyone have experience with www.bellatisport.com ?

katkeeper36
02-18-2016, 05:48 AM
Technically you are suppose to pay Import Duties on anything over $200 (US) in value. It really does depend on who the shipper is, as they would pay the Customs Tax and then bill you.

I bought 2 sets of Campy wheels from Wiggle before, 1 was shipped Royal Mail (not taxed) and the other DHL (taxed). Schizophrenic - I know. So I'd say research your shipping companies and their taxing policies, then ask the seller to use your preferred method.

BTW - what kind of Colnago are you buying? ( Just upgraded from a Lux Dream to a C59 last week myself ).

johnny1221
02-18-2016, 07:41 AM
Kat - I've been looking for a nice C59 but so far no luck at a reasonable price so I'm thinking about going for a C60.

ftf
02-18-2016, 05:05 PM
Anyone have experience with www.bellatisport.com ?

I bought one from them about, 3 months ago now, it was a good experience, I'd buy from them again.

katkeeper36
02-18-2016, 05:40 PM
I went thru RA Cycles and got an older (2012) C59. It actually cost me more than a C60 would have thru Bellatisport. But I really loved the color scheme and the newer frames are starting to look a little 'boxy' for me.

Good luck in your search and keep us informed with what you do...

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1529/24846298352_f1f9f52c6d_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DRzLSm)

beeatnik
02-18-2016, 05:48 PM
From Mike:

all imports no matter the size are subject to import tax, in almost all countries
in the USA on bike frames it is 3.8%, here its 30% as a comparison
I can send with UPS 2 day transit, but almost certainly they will collect the tax, they charge
130 euros for the box 94 x 64 x 28 cms, or with parcelforce, who are unlikely to charge
the tax, but take longer and charge more 180 euros, insurance is 1% of goods value

djg
02-18-2016, 06:09 PM
The harmonized tariff schedule is here: https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=bicycle

I've got no particular insight into how well this works, but my general sense is that there's sometimes a distinction between the question what the duty is supposed to be, according to the schedule, and the question what gets assessed at entry (and what, if anything, you can do about it if that part goes awry). Most frames seem to be subject to a 3.9% duty, according to the list; many bike parts -- not all -- are not subject to any additional duty. Spokes 10%, complete bikes 11%, go figure (and maybe build the thing up here).

My experience is limited to one Colnago frame and a bunch of parts purchased way back in 2001. My recollection is that the correct (published, as per the schedule) duty was assessed on the frame set but that no duty was applied to the components, but I could be forgetting about one or two widgets -- I don't remember all the particulars but I believe that things went more or less as anticipated, and there weren't any holdups.

fuzzalow
02-18-2016, 06:33 PM
My goodness fellas...

Nothing other than by-the-book is going to be discussed on an open forum. Whether said by Mike, Mother Teresa, Charlie Manson or Jack the Ripper; everybody, in public & in writing, will tell it by the rules. If there is any concern about possible mitigation strategies, then that is best discussed between any buyer and any seller in private.

velomonkey
02-18-2016, 07:33 PM
^^^^^^ Fuzzz Fuzzzz Fuzzzz

Let me repeat what FUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ said