PDA

View Full Version : K Tape? Anybody wearing it?

Mr. Pink
02-16-2016, 10:16 PM
Going through a lot of physical therapy in ski country this winter, and just had KTape applied to my problem spot on my lower leg. Anybody biked with this stuff?

cnighbor1
02-16-2016, 10:20 PM
Going through a lot of physical therapy in ski country this winter, and just had KTape applied to my problem spot on my lower leg. Anybody biked with this stuff?
My Sports Therapist used it on me after a bike accident
On line for tape company shows how do apply
You see on Pros
Use it
It works

nate2351
02-16-2016, 11:13 PM
Great stuff, much better than and sweaty brace.

firerescuefin
02-16-2016, 11:18 PM
Swear by it. Good stuff.

Mr. Pink
02-16-2016, 11:22 PM
Do you guys apply it yourself? My PT told me she could teach me how in about a month.

It's good for bikers because you should definitely shave the legs before applying. Hell to pay if you don't.

firerescuefin
02-16-2016, 11:24 PM
Do you guys apply it yourself? My PT told me she could teach me how in about a month.

It's good for bikers because you should definitely shave the legs before applying. Hell to pay if you don't.

Both...KT tape has a great youtube channel. My wife has gotten really good at helping me out (when necessary)

Bruce K
02-17-2016, 05:15 AM
I have been using it for years.

Knee, elbow, and thumb as needed.

Works great.

CVS store brand tape is FANTASTIC stuff. The K-Tape brand s++ks! The original Kinesio tape is very good too but the CVS stuff is readily available at the corner store.

I self apply, plus there are lots of good YouTube videos if you need reminders.

BK

Ralph
02-17-2016, 06:33 AM
I'm using it, with guidance of a PT, on a pronating right foot that has the effect of making that leg cycle shorter causing some butt problems on right side. Along with foot exercises. Working on strengthening the foot muscles. It's not strong enough to hold the arch up....but is a constant reminder to change how I walk and cycle. It's working. Good stuff!

batman1425
02-17-2016, 08:09 AM
I use it all the time. There are a few different brands - I typically get the KT pro stuff which has a bit stronger adhesive and will stay on for longer, and the colors are pro. You can get big spools of the K-Gold stuff online for good prices - that is the stuff most PT's use. Same quality as the KT-pro with out all the colors/marketing hype. I usually get 3-5 days of wear depending on where and how it was applied.

This, my foam roller, and compression socks are the biggest contributors to keeping me pain free and on the bike after struggling with several not-insignificant knee injuries.

My only caution to you - make sure that you keep an eye on the application sites - especially if there is a lot of soft tissue under it - like over the meaty parts of your legs or arms. The tension put in the tape during application can cause blisters to form under it. Start out wearing it for a day or 2 at a time only, then remove and inspect. You may have to build up to longer term wear or take a few days off in between applications.

apple
02-17-2016, 08:57 AM
I have several rolls. Didn't use it for years because figured it was a fad trend that clearly wouldn't work (ala holistic medicine, "body wraps", and homeopathy). But it actually does. Use it for ultrarunning and repetitive cycling strain, it adds some support to the affected area reliving some strain. Not hard to apply, they have a great youtube channel and plenty of clear instructions on their website. You don't need a pro to apply it, but depending on location on your body you may need a second set of hands.

simonov
02-17-2016, 09:49 AM
CVS store brand tape is FANTASTIC stuff. The K-Tape brand s++ks! The original Kinesio tape is very good too but the CVS stuff is readily available at the corner store.

A podiatrist recommended I use it for an issue with my heel/foot. I thought it was bs, but the tape worked wonders. This is a good tip on which to buy, though. The KT brand tape won't stay put for a single ride. The CVS or Mueller brand tapes last for days.

snah
02-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Also been using it for years, using it right now to help with a case of plantar fasciitis. Agree about the brand too. Bought my first role of KT Tape yesterday and compared to the Mueller I've used for years, the KT kinda sucks.

dgauthier
02-17-2016, 10:02 AM
Wait . . . you're supposed to *wear* it? ;)

rugbysecondrow
02-17-2016, 10:42 AM
I never noticed a difference, either in mobility, relief of pain, or performance. I wonder if there is a placebo effect with taping.

For me, it professionally applied in numerous areas for numerous reasons, it was more of a nuisance for me though. Some tape leaves adhesive behind for longer than others, which can be a PIA. It also seems to come loose gradually, so I would trim away at it, eventually pulling it off. Again, with no noticeably difference.

Your mileage may vary, but here is my contrary opinion.

batman1425
02-17-2016, 11:02 AM
The data that I've seen regarding KT tape (of all varieties) is convoluted concerning the exact mechanisms for why you feel better. This is especially true for the applications that don't have any structural components, read - supporting a specific structure - think old school McConnell Taping for poor patellar tracking.

For example, with IT taping, the goal is to lift the skin gently off the band, letting it move more freely underneath which helps reduce inflammation. This is nearly impossible to quantify in any subjective way - but it makes me feel better - so I tend to not care why (placebo effect or not).

It is also frequently used to reduce resting muscle tone to help the muscle heal - I've had mixed results doing that with a hamstring and VMO injury. Sometimes it helped, other times not.

Mr. Pink
02-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Does alcohol help removing the tape residue?

I'm not talking about oral intake, btw.

false_Aest
02-17-2016, 12:49 PM
I tried it. Did jack ···· for me.

But my PT who is one of the biggest cynics I've ever met swears by it as do other serious riders I know. They'd but that ···· on toast if they could.

I'm going back to holograms and magnets.

Placebo maybe.
Who cares if it works for you it works for you.
Just like god.

Bruce K
02-17-2016, 03:38 PM
FA;

You were OK until the last line.

Are you trolling or just not paying attention?

BK

batman1425
02-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Does alcohol help removing the tape residue?

I'm not talking about oral intake, btw.

I haven't had luck with alcohol for removal. Usually just let the residue wear off by itself, but if it needs to come off for one reason or another, scrubbing in the shower typically does it for me.

unterhausen
02-17-2016, 04:56 PM
oral intake of alcohol definitely helps when you have to remove quantities of the tape. I never really worried about the residue. I used KT tape for knee stabilization. It works, but my knee got better and I stopped using it

Mr. Pink
02-17-2016, 07:00 PM
oral intake of alcohol definitely helps when you have to remove quantities of the tape. I never really worried about the residue. I used KT tape for knee stabilization. It works, but my knee got better and I stopped using it

Well, yeah, that's the goal. Get better, stop using. I hope.

bshell
02-17-2016, 07:45 PM
And neither worked at all for me, despite wanting to believe/relieve.

Just for my education about the forum...are we not allowed to consider god a placebo?

quattro
02-17-2016, 07:46 PM
Been using Rock Tape for years, like it much better than KT, it's not pre-cut and the adhesive holds better. They also have videos to show how to apply.

firerescuefin
02-17-2016, 07:51 PM
And neither worked at all for me, despite wanting to believe/relieve.

Just for my education about the forum...are we not allowed to consider god a placebo?

I think implying it to show everyone how witty you are/baiting is poor form and doesn't make you look smart/cool/whatever...more like just an @ss.

Bruce K
02-17-2016, 08:17 PM
This ^^

Plus we try to stay away from religious discussion (see the User Agreement) as it never ends well.

Using one's belief in God (no small g here), or lack thereof to bait people is a "No Go"

BK

Mr. Pink
02-17-2016, 09:18 PM
Hey, if a little god can help me ski powder without my leg tightening up, I'll take some. Meanwhile, I've got KTape, dry needling, deep massage, and PT exercises.

firerescuefin
02-17-2016, 09:34 PM
Hey, if a little god can help me ski powder without my leg tightening up, I'll take some. Meanwhile, I've got KTape, dry needling, deep massage, and PT exercises.

Love me some Dry Needling and ART.....Both have been a "god"send ;)

A talented Dry Needler is a great resource to have available.

Mr. Pink
02-17-2016, 10:02 PM
Love me some Dry Needling and ART.....Both have been a "god"send ;)

A talented Dry Needler is a great resource to have available.

First, what's ART?

Second, how long does it take to recover from dry needling? Or, do you really "recover", or just adapt to a new muscle and go from there?

firerescuefin
02-17-2016, 10:22 PM
First, what's ART?

Second, how long does it take to recover from dry needling? Or, do you really "recover", or just adapt to a new muscle and go from there?

Active Release Technique http://www.activerelease.com/what_patients.asp

With needling, I make sure I've hydrated well that day and usually take a hot shower or hot tub. Very sore the day of (especially if he's gone into traps, quads or adductors)....Helps keep me moving well and if Im injured, rapidly speeds up the healing process.

Found a great guy/practice in Fort Worth that does both.

gasman
02-18-2016, 01:42 AM
I swear by whatever tape my PT used on my shoulder. I've got some bone impingement , mainly on one shoulder . I notice a difference when it's on and then when I take it off. Better range of motion without pain. It may be placebo but I don't care.

rugbysecondrow
02-18-2016, 08:28 AM
Active Release Technique http://www.activerelease.com/what_patients.asp

With needling, I make sure I've hydrated well that day and usually take a hot shower or hot tub. Very sore the day of (especially if he's gone into traps, quads or adductors)....Helps keep me moving well and if Im injured, rapidly speeds up the healing process.

Found a great guy/practice in Fort Worth that does both.

ART is great. A good ART person, some graston, seems to do the trick for me.