PDA

View Full Version : American Classic Aero 420 versus Boyd Vitesse

tjk23
02-16-2016, 05:42 PM
So I'm looking a new wheel set. I currently have the Boyd Vitesse and really like the look of the American Classics. Just wondering which is the better wheel set? Looking for opinions.

kramnnim
02-16-2016, 06:57 PM
The AC rims are narrow, if that matters to you. They aren't deep enough to have much of an aero advantage. The brake tracks are very narrow and the rim material is kind of soft. Some say the AC hubs are not durable or good for heavier riders, I never had a problem but am under 150 pounds.

Boyd's stuff is all just generic from Taiwan with his logos, right?

If I had to pick between them, I'd want the AC wheels, but I wouldn't buy them as an upgrade unless they were cheap. (I got a used set for $100 a while back)

I'd look at something like Hermes Sport's vk11's...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/10/14/ib14-hermes-sport-back-w-gorgeous-new-proprietary-hubs-vk-wheels/

I believe he currently has them for $750.

djg21
02-16-2016, 07:32 PM
The AC rims are narrow, if that matters to you. They aren't deep enough to have much of an aero advantage. The brake tracks are very narrow and the rim material is kind of soft. Some say the AC hubs are not durable or good for heavier riders, I never had a problem but am under 150 pounds.

If I had to pick between them, I'd want the AC wheels, but I wouldn't buy them as an upgrade unless they were cheap. (I got a used set for $100 a while back)

I'd look at something like Hermes Sport's vk11's...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/10/14/ib14-hermes-sport-back-w-gorgeous-new-proprietary-hubs-vk-wheels/

I believe he currently has them for $750.

I bought a set of Boyd Vitesse wheels built on a Powertap G3 and a Boyd front hub for my wife's tri bike. I purchased them used from someone here. They are decent rims, and pretty well-built.

I assume your looking for wheels built with AL rims. If I were buying new wheels, I have a set built from rims like HED Belgiums and a nice hubset. In fact, I have a new wheelset coming tomorrow: Powertap G3 and HED Belgium rear, and Belgium and CK hub in the front.

ceolwulf
02-16-2016, 10:03 PM
Campagnolo Zonda also well worth a look.

Pastashop
02-16-2016, 10:12 PM
For what type of use?.. Any particular thing you are looking to gain over a garden variety 1.5 kg wheelset available for $500 or less new from a number of sources, including skilled builders?

simonov
02-17-2016, 04:57 AM

While most of it is made in Taiwan (like other companies), Boyd's current crop of rims are of his design and not generic, rebranded parts from catalogs. I don't know about the older Vitesse wheels in question, but the new stuff is more than just logos.