PDA

View Full Version : Distance between the stem bolts.

chrisuscc
02-16-2016, 03:26 PM
I currently have Enve stem with Enve garmin mount and want to change the stem to other brands, which brand/model would take the enve garmin mount?

Thank you!

apple
02-16-2016, 03:38 PM
None afaik. It's made specifically to mate against the faceplate of the Enve stem. So it's not just a bolt spacing issue, but an issue with proper mating of the surfaces. It's different enough where even if you get a stem with proper spacing (I believe Ritchey stems have the right spacing?), when you tighten everything down there are weird gaps between the mount and the faceplate. So even though it's tight, there is a gap because part of the faceplate binds against part of the Enve mount. I would not feel comfortable riding with that gap.

Theoretically you could use an Enve faceplate on a different stem, but the spacing of all four bolts (not just the bottom two) would have to be the same.

Your best bet is to use one of the variety handlebar-mounted out-front mounts. Additionally, I think Bontrager makes an out front mount like the Enve out-front mount, but of course only works with Bontrager stems.

If you do find a solution, please let us know! I think the Enve mount is the most aesthetically pleasing.

spartanKid
02-16-2016, 04:17 PM
None afaik. It's made specifically to mate against the faceplate of the Enve stem. So it's not just a bolt spacing issue, but an issue with proper mating of the surfaces. It's different enough where even if you get a stem with proper spacing (I believe Ritchey stems have the right spacing?), when you tighten everything down there are weird gaps between the mount and the faceplate. So even though it's tight, there is a gap because part of the faceplate binds against part of the Enve mount. I would not feel comfortable riding with that gap.

Yes this is definitely what I would worry about. If some how a Ritchey (or whatever equally spaced stem) had a faceplate that was able to mate correctly and not bind, then I would say it is safe to ride, but in order to do so, the face plate must basically be either exactly the same as the Enve one, or be "smaller" in every dimension.

Maybe if you mounted it in this looking configuration with the curved part of the mount hang off the bottom (instead of curving up along) the face plate, then just the two bolt holes would have to align.

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-tqfdy/products/604/images/2118/Enve_Computer_Mount_Parent_04__73350.1449092654.12 80.1280.jpg?c=2

chrisuscc
02-16-2016, 11:04 PM
Thank you for the answers guys!
I will definitely post another thread if I find the solution,