PDA

View Full Version : Last generation Centaur hubs are they decent?

OperaLover
02-16-2016, 10:52 AM
Typical Campy quality? In many cases , Campy tends to have the same internals bearings, races, etc. as the higher end models. So I wonder if that is the same for these hube.

As I mentioned in the latest bike purchase thread I scored two pairs of NOS Campy Victory Strada rims 36H. I want to build 11-speed Campy compatible wheels but 36H Campy hubs are hard to find. I found the Centaurs 36H for about $135, which is pretty inexpensive. Any thoughts on the hubs? Thank you!

Ralph
02-16-2016, 10:58 AM
The "last" Centaur hubs had cartridge bearings and looked to be sourced from Asia. I had some, and they were fine for a training wheel. Kinda cheap looking, steel axles as I recall. I imagine they would last as long as any other hubs. Bearings easily replaceable, etc.

But no where near as nice and light as the Black Records. But they might last as long.

If you are talking about the model before the "last" ones....loose bearings, etc....sure...will also last forever with reasonable maintenance.

thwart
02-16-2016, 11:19 AM
Picked up a set new for ~ $70... ah, those were the days.

Built a wheelset using them for my snow/slush/sand/salt bike, and they've served that duty for the past 5 or 6 years. Haven't had a ton of miles of course, but they still look good and spin... well, just like a Campy hub should.

Given the level of abuse they've experienced, I'm impressed.

oliver1850
02-16-2016, 11:47 AM
They are nice enough and easy to service. According to the catalogs, lighter than the previous OS axle Centaurs, but I'd guess that's due to a lighter skewer. Same basic design is used on lower level built wheels like Khamsin,
Scirocco, Vento.

OperaLover
02-16-2016, 12:35 PM
Thanks everyone!

oldpotatoe
02-16-2016, 01:12 PM
Thanks everyone!

They are fine hubs. Cart bearings. rear(6001??). Fine hubs, not expensive if you can find them.

Miche-cart bearings with a preload plate ala Record, etc. inexpensive but great hubs. I've built more than a few.

OperaLover
02-16-2016, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=oldpotatoe;1918616]They are fine hubs. Cart bearings. rear(6001??). Fine hubs, not expensive if you can find them.

I found some for $95 in 36H! Thank you Old Potato. Looking forward to building some tubular wheels.

oldpotatoe
02-16-2016, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=oldpotatoe;1918616]They are fine hubs. Cart bearings. rear(6001??). Fine hubs, not expensive if you can find them.

I found some for $95 in 36H! Thank you Old Potato. Looking forward to building some tubular wheels.

Tubulars, good for you.

Hubs are kinda like headsets. Headsets hold forks on and rotate. Yes hubs rotate but mostly turn around and support rim/tire.

Looking at complex-o CK and these, both turn round and round and are laced to rims.

72gmc
02-16-2016, 05:19 PM
I ran a set for several years. They were great--great defined as always rolled well, never caused a problem, sported the Campagnolo logo. Maligned by some for not being objets d'art but I think they're underrated.

ultraman6970
02-16-2016, 06:54 PM
Miche Rc2 and primato (black) are super nice.

A have 3 wheelsets built with miche hubs (rc2/primato/and a straight pull like mavic) and never had a problem. All of them tubular.

HUbs are in the heavy side but are reliable, even you can get ceramic cartridge if you want them to spin forever, bearings are 6000 series so you can find those anywhere. Easy to disassemble too, freehub body, axles cones and bearings are the same across all the hubs and wheelsets miche has, that is a good thing.

Hope this helps.