PDA

View Full Version : Recs for modern race geo bikes that clear 30mm road?

stien
02-16-2016, 07:16 AM
Non custom/bespoke. Caad10 comes to mind for sure. I want to run Paris Roubaix tires on 23mm rims.

AngryScientist
02-16-2016, 07:18 AM
van dessel hellefaster might be an option. they clain wide tire clearance.

http://www.vandesselcycles.com/bike-collection/

EDS
02-16-2016, 08:05 AM
Argon 18 Krypton may work. Felt had a special p-r version of one of their race frames that would have been perfect as well but I don't think it is available now.

nooneline
02-16-2016, 08:07 AM
A lot of Specialized models will; a buddy of mine has 28 or 30mm P-R tires on wide rims on his Allez and I recall EQS riding Paris-Rouabaix with 30mm FMBs.

ergott
02-16-2016, 08:13 AM
Trek Domane and Specialized Roubaix are tailor made for this.

nooneline
02-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Trek Domane and Specialized Roubaix are tailor made for this.

they're designed around wider tires, sure, but they also have a bunch of other design considerations - lower BB, taller headtube, "century geometry" that somebody may or may not prefer.

another way to get a look at contemporary race bikes that fit bigger tires is to just google Paris-Roubaix bike galleries. you can get a sense of what models fit what width tires. here's one:
http://cyclingtips.com/2015/04/the-bikes-and-tech-of-paris-roubaix-2015/

bbobway
02-16-2016, 09:38 AM
I'm riding a Trek Emonda ALR, it fits 30mm tires.

fa63
02-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Add Ridley Fenix SL to the list.

ergott
02-16-2016, 10:22 AM
they're designed around wider tires, sure, but they also have a bunch of other design considerations - lower BB, taller headtube, "century geometry" that somebody may or may not prefer.

Here's a comparison of the Tarmac and Roubaix if I were to buy one. Sure the BB is 2.5mm lower, you are likely to be using larger tires. Point is, the fit difference isn't as drastic as everyone claims and the Roubaix is designed to perform and handle well with larger tires. You're not shoehorning tires into a bike that will be a compromise. That Roubaix (and other bikes like it) is very race worthy.

https://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Cycling/Cycling-shots/i-HZKzNC4/0/XL/Specialized%20Tarmac%2054%20comparo-XL.jpg

https://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Cycling/Cycling-shots/i-R3P2Zkk/0/XL/Specialized%20Roubaix%2054%20comparo-XL.jpg

benb
02-16-2016, 10:40 AM
Yep.. hysterical to hear people say these bikes aren't racy enough when they get used in ProTour races. And even if you need it slammed and say the Domane is too upright you can always get the race shop H1 version or whatever, or downsize on the Roubaix or something.

spartanKid
02-16-2016, 04:29 PM
Yep.. hysterical to hear people say these bikes aren't racy enough when they get used in ProTour races. And even if you need it slammed and say the Domane is too upright you can always get the race shop H1 version or whatever, or downsize on the Roubaix or something.

Getting a -10 or -17 (or even lower) stem is probably easier than getting the H1 too. Plenty of Pro teams end up using stock geo bikes for PR/Flanders with slammed, negative rise stems.

stien
02-16-2016, 04:33 PM
Totally. I have an Emonda h2 and it clears PR tires on 24mm rims. Thing is beast but I gave it to the wife so I could get something different. I'd really prefer a threaded BB, level top tube, and to not have to use a 140mm -20* stem.

Not sure what geo I want honestly. I've loved 73 parallel for so long and I'm afraid I won't like anything else.

The best handling bike I've ever ridden was Dogma mag but it didn't fit. My short legs suck.

I already have wheels and am thinking of a 5800 group with a $1k total budget for frameset, group, and bar/stem/post. What would you get used with the above criteria? (Level TT, threaded, HT not huge)

nooneline
02-16-2016, 04:50 PM
Here's a comparison of the Tarmac and Roubaix if I were to buy one. Sure the BB is 2.5mm lower, you are likely to be using larger tires. Point is, the fit difference isn't as drastic as everyone claims and the Roubaix is designed to perform and handle well with larger tires. You're not shoehorning tires into a bike that will be a compromise. That Roubaix (and other bikes like it) is very race worthy.

Race worthy, definitely.

Specific handling characteristics that some people prefer? Yes.
Specific handling characteristics that some people do not prefer? Yes.

That was my only point. :cool:

FlashUNC
02-16-2016, 05:39 PM
Doesn't Scott do something with nutty clearances too?

ceolwulf
02-16-2016, 06:24 PM
Doesn't Scott do something with nutty clearances too?

Thinking of the Addict Gravel?

The Solace takes at least 30s but geometry is very relaxed.