PDA

View Full Version : Trouble clipping out: Look Keo Blade v1.0

CampyorBust
02-14-2016, 01:53 AM
At the risk of starting two threads at once, but this has been bothering me for some time.

I am usually pretty good at chasing gremlins but this one has me stumped. Recently developed a whole lot of trouble clipping out of my Look Keo Blade v1.0 pedals. They are the easier 12nm version and still I have come close to eating it a few times. I just can't get out and have to really twist my foot hard to get out. Pictures of the trouble pedal and shoe/cleat down below. Any possible solutions would be much appreciated, obrigado!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/IMG_3303_zps4av4pfbf.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/IMG_3307_zpsp5mptz1y.jpg

happycampyer
02-14-2016, 02:08 AM
The red cleats have 9º of float, which is a lot of float. That means you need to rotate more than that to unclip. Unless you really need that much float, you might want to try the grey cleats, which have 4.5º of float. Your cleats might also be worn, which could cause them to get sloppy when unclipping. Another thing to double-check is that the bolts are tightened completely, but that was probably the first thing to do. Honestly, I think the issue is the amount of float of the cleats.

CampyorBust
02-14-2016, 02:24 AM
The red cleats have 9º of float, which is a lot of float. That means you need to rotate more than that to unclip. Unless you really need that much float, you might want to try the grey cleats, which have 4.5º of float. Your cleats might also be worn, which could cause them to get sloppy when unclipping. Another thing to double-check is that the bolts are tightened completely, but that was probably the first thing to do. Honestly, I think the issue is the amount of float of the cleats.

Yeah I am going to try adjusting again today. I used to ride the grey ones but found the red cleats to be a little easier on my knees. This could totally be in my head. The red ones felt great for some time now. Usually replace when the pads wear off. Maybe I don’t need this much float?

jpw
02-14-2016, 02:59 AM
ski binding technology.

get some bicycle pedal technology :-)

http://coombe.com/

stien
02-14-2016, 06:00 AM
The usual problem with slow clip outs on Keos is worn out cleats. With the shoe clipped in and your foot out, look at where the cleat hits the back pivot part of the pedal when you rotate to clip out and you'll see its worn away a bit there. Take the opportunity to get the grey cleats too. I like them a lot better.

oldpotatoe
02-14-2016, 06:04 AM
Yeah I am going to try adjusting again today. I used to ride the grey ones but found the red cleats to be a little easier on my knees. This could totally be in my head. The red ones felt great for some time now. Usually replace when the pads wear off. Maybe I don’t need this much float?

Either worn cleat or the cleat is being bent by the arc of the sole of the shoe. Maybe a small shim under either the aft or forward part of the cleat to make it fatter.

stien
02-14-2016, 06:15 AM
Also saw you have knee issues, perhaps you don't have your cleats adjusted to toe in or out correctly. You shouldn't have to be riding in the "float" area.

My easiest way of doing it right: on a ski lift are your ski tips pointed way out or parallel? That's where your knees want to be and how you should set your cleats up (much less extremely, obviously).

Tony T
02-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Are those the cleats with the rubber pads?

Give the cleats w/o the rubber a try.
And if you have knee problems, try the grey w/o the rubber
(I could never clip out correctly with the rubber pads, I now throw the pair that come with new pedals in the trash)

jimcav
02-14-2016, 08:38 AM

(I could never clip out correctly with the rubber pads, I now throw the pair that come with new pedals in the trash)

could you drop a set to me next time? :)
jim

Tony T
02-14-2016, 09:00 AM
Sure. I didn't think anyone used those, otherwise I would have given them away for the cost of postage. (I never could clip in/out properly with the rubber)

carpediemracing
02-14-2016, 10:12 AM
A random tip. To help unclip from such pedals, regardless of the condition of the cleat and the spring tension, think "push down" when you unclip. Usually it's easiest if you're at the bottom of the pedal stroke and you think "push down" because then you get net zero forward bike movement.

Sometimes people get hung up on these and similar pedals because they're pulling up a bit while twisting. The pulling up bit will bind the cleats.

(I wish I could have the same problem with the Keos, I will inadvertently pull out under hard efforts. After buying maybe 6 sets of Keos I've gone to Exustars because a Look rep told me that users typically complained Exustars were "harder to unclip". For me the Exustars, on about 2/3 tension, is much more secure than any Look I've tried at full tension, Keo Max, Keo Max Carbon, Blade with 16 nm? or maybe there's a higher one? To be fair I have not tried the highest force blade on the new aero Keo, but I have tried every other one.)

CampyorBust
02-15-2016, 02:02 AM
Also saw you have knee issues, perhaps you don't have your cleats adjusted to toe in or out correctly. You shouldn't have to be riding in the "float" area.

My easiest way of doing it right: on a ski lift are your ski tips pointed way out or parallel? That's where your knees want to be and how you should set your cleats up (much less extremely, obviously).

Goods stuff thanks, my skis are pointing out. And I try to keep my shoes straight on the bike.:crap:

Yeah I like the rubber pads, I feel like I am ice skating without them, and they scratch wooden floors somethin fierce.

A random tip. To help unclip from such pedals, regardless of the condition of the cleat and the spring tension, think "push down" when you unclip. Usually it's easiest if you're at the bottom of the pedal stroke and you think "push down" because then you get net zero forward bike movement.

Sometimes people get hung up on these and similar pedals because they're pulling up a bit while twisting. The pulling up bit will bind the cleats.

(I wish I could have the same problem with the Keos, I will inadvertently pull out under hard efforts. After buying maybe 6 sets of Keos I've gone to Exustars because a Look rep told me that users typically complained Exustars were "harder to unclip". For me the Exustars, on about 2/3 tension, is much more secure than any Look I've tried at full tension, Keo Max, Keo Max Carbon, Blade with 16 nm? or maybe there's a higher one? To be fair I have not tried the highest force blade on the new aero Keo, but I have tried every other one.)

I’ll give it a go. So I rotated the cleat about 2-3 mm counter clockwise, much better still but I now clip out heel in, and still not as easy as it should be, could be a worn cleat. As can be seen on my abused shoe sole I am doing some walking on gravel and dirt roads, this could have also damaged the cleat a bit.

Looks like I am going back to grey cleats.

smontanaro
02-15-2016, 06:50 AM

I thought the walkable cleats were more expensive than the regular slip-and break-your-neck variety. Does Look no longer make the version without the little rubber pads? I use cleat covers pretty religiously, so I don't wear cleats out very often, and I've recently decided I like the Origin8 copies better anyway. I think they are made of slightly harder material.

Tony T
02-15-2016, 07:26 AM
I thought the walkable cleats were more expensive than the regular slip-and break-your-neck variety. Does Look no longer make the version without the little rubber pads? I use cleat covers pretty religiously, so I don't wear cleats out very often, and I've recently decided I like the Origin8 copies better anyway. I think they are made of slightly harder material.

I just didn't like the feel of the rubber soled cleats when clipping in/out. (Look still makes the regular cleats.)
When walking, I just put more pressure on my heel (which has a rubber tip), and when walking more than a few yards, like you, I use cleat covers

2LeftCleats
02-15-2016, 08:22 AM
I don't like the rubber pieces either so I shave them off with single edge razor blade.

happycampyer
02-15-2016, 08:44 AM
If you're walking on gravel frequently, I would use the cleat covers at a minimum. As cleats go, I find that the Look cleats are made of a relatively soft material, softer than, say, the Shimano cleats. Even though the parts of the cleat that engage the pedal are recessed, they can get deformed from wear, and gravel will just accelerate that. For dirt/gravel I prefer to switch to mtb pedals and cleats, but that's a different matter.

ultraman6970
02-15-2016, 09:58 AM
IMO the OP has the cleats in the wrong position, angle them a little bit more will decrease the angle he needs to unclip. Since he has floating it should not a be a problem at the time of riding.