PDA

View Full Version : FYI Rear derailleur Service

cnighbor1
02-13-2016, 05:46 PM
FYI Rear derailleur Service Campagnolo Chorus 10 Speed
When replacing the broken chain on my Seven with low miles and about 3 to 4 years old. I decided to see how the pulleys spin without the new chain mounted yet.
The lower pulley barley spun and the upper pulley moved around with a bit force applied. And that force when riding was by me. I cleaned both the upper pulley and lower pulleys Upper pulley grease had turned into gum Hard to remove. Not both have new grease and spin nicely
So if you find yourself doing some spring servicing check those derailleur pulleys

Black Dog
02-13-2016, 05:57 PM
Yep. Pullies with bushings need to be serviced/checked annually. At least you are about to get a lot faster.

oldpotatoe
02-13-2016, 06:40 PM
Yep. Pullies with bushings need to be serviced/checked annually. At least you are about to get a lot faster.

About once a month I take off chain, chainrings off, pulleys off, cogs off, clean all and put back on. Needn't do it that often but yup, grease in the pulleys. If wee cart bearings, knife blade to remove a seal, grease in there, seal back on.

lonoeightysix
02-13-2016, 07:36 PM
About once a month I take off chain, chainrings off, pulleys off, cogs off, clean all and put back on. Needn't do it that often but yup, grease in the pulleys. If wee cart bearings, knife blade to remove a seal, grease in there, seal back on.

what's your preferred lube for ceramic bushing setups?

oldpotatoe
02-14-2016, 06:15 AM
what's your preferred lube for ceramic bushing setups?

I get a tub of lithium and a tub of blue 'boat grease''mix for a pretty light blue color. Each about $5 per big tub. Grease is oil in soap. 'Bike' grease is just grease, repackaged and $ added.

I use grease on ceramic balls/steel races/shimano ceramic bushing pulleys(which is what just about all bike ceramics are. Grease lubes but also helps to seal because get a little grit in there and the mild-ish steel races pit easily.