PDA

View Full Version : 'twanging' sound from spokes?

onsight512
02-13-2016, 02:32 PM
I have a set of wheels I had build a couple years ago. They make an occasional 'twang' as I go over a bump, or when I first stand up, etc. They've done this from day one.

As far as I can tell, there is no issue with them aside from the noise. I probably have put a thousand miles on them, give or take. Can anyone diagnose this across the Internet?
Any suggestion on who to take them to, if there's anything to be done, near Burbank, Ca?

thanks,
Chris

eddief
02-13-2016, 03:48 PM
but ya gotta give him the details.

MadRocketSci
02-13-2016, 03:53 PM
my rear neutron does this, steadily during climbs, and it kinda drives me nuts. I think in my case it is caused by small windup/unwinding motion between the spokes at the cross/intersection points. A little lube on each intersection addresses this, but after that wears off it's back....

mvrider
02-13-2016, 04:25 PM
my rear neutron does this, steadily during climbs, and it kinda drives me nuts. I think in my case it is caused by small windup/unwinding motion between the spokes at the cross/intersection points. A little lube on each intersection addresses this, but after that wears off it's back....

Yup, had exactly the same experience with my Neutrons. A little lube worked into the the spoke intersections cured the noises on mine, as well.

leooooo
02-13-2016, 06:23 PM
I got a new one.
Had too much gunk on my pulleys. Cleaned it and the "twang" went away (obviously it may be something else, but hey it went away after that specific act).
At first I thought it was out of true, cracked carbon etc, all proved to be false.

May I ask which wheelset ails you?

oldpotatoe
02-13-2016, 06:28 PM
I have a set of wheels I had build a couple years ago. They make an occasional 'twang' as I go over a bump, or when I first stand up, etc. They've done this from day one.

As far as I can tell, there is no issue with them aside from the noise. I probably have put a thousand miles on them, give or take. Can anyone diagnose this across the Internet?
Any suggestion on who to take them to, if there's anything to be done, near Burbank, Ca?

thanks,
Chris

I'd lube where the spokes enter the hub and rim and also have somebody check the tension.

onsight512
02-13-2016, 06:35 PM
What kind of lube?

oldpotatoe
02-13-2016, 06:41 PM
What kind of lube?

I use a wee squeeze bottle and use Mobil One.

R3awak3n
02-13-2016, 06:50 PM
definitely check the tension, that has happened to me on a tour and 2 spokes were loose :eek:

thollandpe
02-14-2016, 08:38 AM

batman1425
02-14-2016, 08:45 AM
Had a budd with a set of FSA wheels make sounds like this. It was the DS spokes rubbing over one another when the wheel flexed - which it did a lot, it was a pretty flexy build.

I would listen to OldPotato though. He knows what him and Ergott are the guys I listen to when it comes to wheels.

MattTuck
02-14-2016, 09:55 AM
Twang sound. For me this sounds like rubbing spokes. Could be a piece of dirt or grime between them that the spoke is bumping over, or just a little deformation that causes it to twang.

Slide a rag between all the rubbing spokes, like you're 'flossing' them. (In your head, sing the lyrics "B.I.G. be flossin' jig on the cover of fortune" to get in the zone)

A little lubrication where the spokes meet is a good idea also.

FWIW, I can typically narrow down the offending spoke pair by rolling slowly and listening for the twang and, then rolling forward and backward (while still on the bike) until you're pretty sure which one it is. You can also try with your hands to just squeeze the spoke pairs, but I've found that when you do this, many spokes can 'twang', not just the offending spoke.

ryker
02-14-2016, 10:46 AM
Said before but check there is adequate and even tension. I have fixed this issue for customers more than once by correcting tension. If tension is the actual culprit, much better to fix the cause than drip lube on your spokes. For that matter fixing tension will improve the fatigue life of your spokes.

onsight512
02-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks for all of the advice/insight.