PDA

View Full Version : UPS advice.

swoop
06-07-2006, 10:12 AM
So, you might remember that UPS folded the stays on a complete bike that I'd sold. It was a custom frame from the factory. The whole rig was a year old... all custom, record, cosmic carbones, zero gravity, fsa k-force cranks.

I sold it for 2k.

The frame is totalled. I refunded the buyer and UPS is going to investigate. The bike was professionally packaged and bombproof. Assuming that they refund me the 1800 replacement cost ofthe frame, Don't I have the right to have the parts returned, and don't I have the right to sell the parts?

The woman that received the frame thinks the parts are hers now (even though she has no faninacial claim in bike frame any longer). She wants me to give her the parts so she can take the 2k she got back from me and buy a new frame. In her mind I get my 1800 and she spends the same and is back where she started.

In my mind.. she is on crack. no place of business would say, oh, darn the frame is damaged.. replacement is 1800 so now that we have that covered we can just give the parts away.

right?

help.. i don't want to be unethical. but sh*T happens. how do i handle this.

Elefantino
06-07-2006, 10:15 AM
She doesn't own anything. If it's en eBay transaction, dispute it.

dave thompson
06-07-2006, 10:15 AM
You sold a *complete* bike. The frame was damaged in transit. You refunded her money and should receive entire contents of the transaction with buyer.

Jason E
06-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Interesting.
It is none of her business what gets taken care of between you and UPS. Her only area of concern is compensation for what she bought....

2000 for a bike.

Not to be an arse, but I would have not refunded her the money until I had the frame and parts back. To refund her the $2g, I would want my stuff back, or I would have not refunded her anything and sent her a replacement frame, though that's not easy....

I think she needs to return the parts and if you did all of this through Paypal and the transaction refunding her money is not complete I would cancel it until you straighten things out.

If not, you may be S.O.L. That is, she has the parts, she has the money.

The right thing is for her to return some money or return the parts.

Good Luck.

jberk
06-07-2006, 10:26 AM
dispute it with ebay.

swoop
06-07-2006, 10:32 AM
there is no nead for a dispute.. .. it was rbr.. but she will comply if i lay down the smack.

i just want to make sure that i am being cool about it. i'll offer her a screaming deal on the parts.. something like $1k-sh for everything... i was shocked by her ballsiness of thinking that she get's the parts though. i want to live in that world..

Brons2
06-07-2006, 10:37 AM
the rationalization capability of the female of the species is beyond my comprehension.

dave thompson
06-07-2006, 10:37 AM
htere is no nead for a dispute.. .. it was rbr.. but she will comply if i lay down the smack.

i just want to make sure that i am being cool about it. i'll offer her a screaming deal on the parts.. something like $1k-sh for everything... i was shocked by her ballsiness of thinking that she get's the parts though. i want to live in that world..
The 'smack' is:that you still own all of the contents of the package that you sent her. Some of the contents of the package were damaged and you settled for damages with the carrier. You still own all the contents of the package and she relinquished all claims to ownership to the contents of the package when she accepted your full refund. Pretty simple.

coylifut
06-07-2006, 10:39 AM
you gave her the 2k back, she sends you parts. Everyone is whole and goes back to square one. People bug me.

goonster
06-07-2006, 10:46 AM
In my mind.. she is on crack.

She is.

She gets her money back. You get the stuff back. Transaction is cancelled.

Work out your end with UPS and start from scratch.

christian
06-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Whatever was in the box, you own. You refunded her her money, you get stuff back.

Really, I'm just adding my voice to the chorus, but that's the most whack thing I ever heard!

- Christian

MartyE
06-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Actually I believe that once UPS gets involved and pays you for
the damage to the frame, the contents of the box belongs to them.

Marty

znfdl
06-07-2006, 11:31 AM
I agree with MartyE, that UPS would be the rightful owner of the parts.

However, your buyer lives in a different dimension.

Serotta PETE
06-07-2006, 11:35 AM
you gave her the 2k back, she sends you parts. Everyone is whole and goes back to square one. People bug me.

Very well said----------------

swoop
06-07-2006, 10:08 PM
I agree with MartyE, that UPS would be the rightful owner of the parts.

However, your buyer lives in a different dimension.

i think so too.. except i'm expecting ups to replace the frame... and not scoot off with the parts that are fine. the replacement cost of the frame is 1800 and it's insured for 2k. if i shipped the bike and parts in the same box but the frame was damaged.. do they have a claim in undamaged parts?

this is where i can't get a straight answer form ups.

it' s tempting to strip the frame and hide the wheels.

Mr. Sensitive
06-08-2006, 07:47 AM
UPS broke the frame and paid for it. The broken frame is theirs. The remaining parts are yours. If you can't get an satisfaction with the primary claim-handler at UPS, go up the food chain a set or two.

The customer is delusional. By issuing a refund, the transaction is negated.

Having said that, remember the adage about free legal advice, "You get what you pay for."