PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mets Reliever Jenrry Mejia Permanently Barred From Major League Baseball

Tony T
02-12-2016, 04:37 PM
Wow, a first for MLB:

Mets Reliever Jenrry Mejia Permanently Barred From Major League Baseball (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/13/sports/baseball/mets-reliever-jenrry-mejia-permanently-barred-from-major-league-baseball.html?action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=59029152&pgtype=Homepage)

Major League Baseball announced Friday that it had permanently suspended Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia after he tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug for the third time, the first time baseball has delivered such a punishment under its doping program.

Mejia, a right-handed relief pitcher who was once the team’s closer, was suspended for 80 games last April for testing positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol. Soon after he returned from that suspension, he was sanctioned again, for a full season of 162 games, for testing positive for stanozolol and boldenone, another steroid.

The Mets extended his contract for the 2016 season, hoping he would provide depth in their bullpen. Now he is off the roster yet again — this time permenantly — for his latest positive drug test. The substance this time was boldenone.

The Mets said in statement that they were “deeply disappointed” in Mejia and “fully support M.L.B.’s policy toward eliminating performance-enhancing substances from the sport.”

jmoore
02-12-2016, 04:42 PM
I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

Tony T
02-12-2016, 04:57 PM
I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

“I know the rules are the rules, and I will accept my punishment, but I can honestly say I have no idea how a banned substance ended up in my system,” Mejia said at the time in a statement issued through the players’ union.

Well, he said "honestly", so I believe him ;)

jlwdm
02-12-2016, 05:36 PM
I am "deeply disappointed" the Mets signed him to a contract for 2016.

Jeff

ctcyclistbob
02-12-2016, 08:23 PM
I am "deeply disappointed" the Mets signed him to a contract for 2016.

Jeff

So are the Mets.

What a waste, the guy is only 26. There are no winners here.

Mr. Pink
02-12-2016, 09:10 PM
“I know the rules are the rules, and I will accept my punishment, but I can honestly say I have no idea how a banned substance ended up in my system,” Mejia said at the time in a statement issued through the players’ union.

Well, he said "honestly", so I believe him ;)

It was the beef. Yeah, the beef. They poisoned me, Contador style.

estilley
02-12-2016, 09:52 PM
Looks like they might get Degrom on an extended contract though. Not a bad idea if you ask me. That guy can pitch.

Lets go Mets.

christian
02-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Do they get the salary cap space. That's the only interesting question here.

oldpotatoe
02-13-2016, 07:07 AM
Wow, a first for MLB:

Mets Reliever Jenrry Mejia Permanently Barred From Major League Baseball (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/13/sports/baseball/mets-reliever-jenrry-mejia-permanently-barred-from-major-league-baseball.html?action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=59029152&pgtype=Homepage)

Major League Baseball announced Friday that it had permanently suspended Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia after he tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug for the third time, the first time baseball has delivered such a punishment under its doping program.

Mejia, a right-handed relief pitcher who was once the team’s closer, was suspended for 80 games last April for testing positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol. Soon after he returned from that suspension, he was sanctioned again, for a full season of 162 games, for testing positive for stanozolol and boldenone, another steroid.

The Mets extended his contract for the 2016 season, hoping he would provide depth in their bullpen. Now he is off the roster yet again — this time permenantly — for his latest positive drug test. The substance this time was boldenone.

The Mets said in statement that they were “deeply disappointed” in Mejia and “fully support M.L.B.’s policy toward eliminating performance-enhancing substances from the sport.”

Slow learner, both the player and the team.

"but I can honestly say I have no idea how a banned substance ended up in my system,” Mejia said at the time in a statement issued through the players’ union."

Yup, like 3 times..what a dope.