PDA

View Full Version : Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles Merge

Tony
02-12-2016, 10:55 AM
"Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles announce today that they are to merge to further strengthen their position in the global online retailing world of cycling...."

Veloo
02-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Wonder if they will keep the dhb brand.

cdn_bacon
02-12-2016, 12:49 PM
just pray that they never use DHL.

I too Veloo got tagged $26.

They get you to purchase $75 for free shipping, then all of a sudden, theres a bill at your door for your delivery. How odd....:mad:

yngpunk
02-12-2016, 01:20 PM

They get you to purchase $75 for free shipping, then all of a sudden, theres a bill at your door for your delivery. How odd....:mad:

This is probably going to start an argument, but how is it Wiggle's or DHL's issue when they are collecting the duty bill that is associated with your purchase. Ok to get mad at the "service fee" they tack on for collecting the duty, but if you have issue with the duty itself, you're point at the wrong company(ies).

Blown Reek
02-12-2016, 01:24 PM
Let's all hope for even lower prices, because right now, parts sure are cheap.

PQJ
02-12-2016, 01:28 PM
I hope they don't call the merged entity "Chain Wiggle."

Veloo
02-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Or Wiggle Reaction

SpokeValley
02-12-2016, 01:41 PM
:beer:I hope they don't call the merged entity "Chain Wiggle."

bluesea
02-12-2016, 02:04 PM

I didn't even reach that point--just scratched them off the list.

Black Dog
02-12-2016, 02:06 PM
Duty is duty, you get dinged you pay. Brokerage fees are BS. UPS is famous for this with some of their shipping options. It is a cash grab. I never get anything shipped from overseas by UPS. DHL is more or less the same.

Dustin
02-12-2016, 04:00 PM
This is probably going to start an argument, but how is it Wiggle's or DHL's issue when they are collecting the duty bill that is associated with your purchase. Ok to get mad at the "service fee" they tack on for collecting the duty, but if you have issue with the duty itself, you're point at the wrong company(ies).

People are angry because when overseas shippers use Royal Mail-USPS, you very rarely get dinged for customs duties. When they use DHL/UPS, you very commonly get dinged for duties + service charges, and reportedly, DahL/UPS often tend to miscategorize what you are buying, resulting in a higher duty than is legally required. Trying to appeal this results in tears, frustration, and sometimes some of your money back after many months.

54ny77
02-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Exactly.

When you gamble, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

What is the duty, technically? That'd probably help in assessing just how "cheap" buying stuff from U.K. can be. If it's an extra 15-20% potential duty, then poof, there goes the fun.

cdn_bacon
02-12-2016, 07:27 PM

this is what was written on my receipt.

DHL Duties, Taxes and Fees for your delivery. DHL Waybill 4669108662 No Signature Required and invoice# 011512268-0

those are not government legislated duties which I know of and have paid on other shipments. ah well. Paid and installed on my bike regardless.:hello:

buddybikes
02-12-2016, 07:38 PM
>>hose are not government legislated duties which I know of and have paid on other shipments. ah well.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-code-duty-rate-import-restrictions/871499/bicycle-parts-other/8714.99.8000/8714.99.9089/2893/

US 10%

jpw
02-13-2016, 05:06 AM
I hope they don't call the merged entity "Chain Wiggle."

Riggle, which will later merge with Ribble, and then its unit economics will force the closure of every bike shop in the UK, except Evans.

jpw
02-13-2016, 05:09 AM
Duty is duty, you get dinged you pay. Brokerage fees are BS. UPS is famous for this with some of their shipping options. It is a cash grab. I never get anything shipped from overseas by UPS. DHL is more or less the same.

Indeed.

Assos was kind enough to send a new nose pad for my Zegho glasses...free of charge. The courier charged me a GBP 15 handling fee.

oldpotatoe
02-13-2016, 06:44 AM

I find this 'interesting'..you order a shimano 105 11s groups for what is less than wholesale, saving like $lots..and get 'smacked' with a $25 duty..

Black Dog
02-13-2016, 07:36 AM
I find this 'interesting'..you order a shimano 105 11s groups for what is less than wholesale, saving like $lots..and get 'smacked' with a $25 duty..

Hey, not complaining at all about paying duties. It is so called "brokerage fees" that some shippers charge for what is an automated electronic process. These have nothing to do with duty charges. Like I said, it is a cynical cash grab that that the receiver is told to pay or no package, this after they they have all ready paid for shipping. Oh, I only order campy parts...:cool:

oldpotatoe
02-13-2016, 07:40 AM
Hey, not complaining at all about paying duties. It is so called "brokerage fees" that some shippers charge for what is an automated electronic process. These have nothing to do with duty charges. Like I said, it is a cynical cash grab that that the receiver is told to pay or no package, this after they they have all ready paid for shipping. Oh, I only order campy parts...:cool:

Not directed at you, I see that you 'pay your money, take your chances'. More of a generic comment at some who DO raise hell when they get hit with a duty $...

I think if the charges were standard and up front, and not so hit and miss, people(not you) wouldn't complain so much.

OtayBW
02-13-2016, 10:01 AM
They have to assign the correct fee, for starters. DHL (and/or Wiggle) assigned an incorrect tarriff code when my crank was shipped last year resulting in an ~$80.00 duty. The correct classification should have carried no duty. I contested and won on appeal, but what a PITA.......