PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a 32mm rim?

Dead Man
02-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Howdy

Have a set of Reynolds UL32s with a bad front rim. Reynolds offered me crash replacement, but don't currently make anything in 32mm. I don't want to go bigger, or smaller for that matter.... just want a damn 32mm rim. It's like the perfect depth. Anybody know of a 32mm or at least CLOSE carbon tubular rim available for purchase as a part?

Thanks

-B

Dead Man
02-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Also interested in a set of 24mm Dura Ace rims... does shimano offer their carbon tubular rims as replacement parts? Have never once seen shimano carbon rims available anywhere, so I'm kinna thinkin not

ptourkin
02-11-2016, 06:05 PM
I just finished demoing Knight Composite 32s. The tooling is excellent, even when compared with Enve and they are very sturdy, if that's a priority. There is no way little me was going to do any damage to them. They also looked cool on my bike. My wheel builder liked working with them and the brake track is good and doesn't require a specific pad from the manufacturer.

I felt like even at that low profile, I was getting blown around last week when we had some strong gusts but I do not have much experience with wheels at this profile. Also, not super light. Worth a look to see if they meet your criteria.

I'll probably end up going either Reynolds or Enve, which don't meet your criteria.

Oh, and no - you can't get those rims. I know people who do a ton of Shimano business and they have been unable. Plenty of people have wanted to do this to get rid of the straight pull hubs - AFAIK, warranty repairs are handled by Shimano so they don't ship the rim. I'd love to hear otherwise, though.

alembical
02-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Next are 30 and are interesting to me, although I have no experience with them.

edited:... oops, they might be disc only, I have not researched them, but was just throwing out some suggestions of things maybe worth looking at.

ColnagoFan
02-11-2016, 07:02 PM
Howdy

Have a set of Reynolds UL32s with a bad front rim. Reynolds offered me crash replacement, but don't currently make anything in 32mm. I don't want to go bigger, or smaller for that matter.... just want a damn 32mm rim. It's like the perfect depth. Anybody know of a 32mm or at least CLOSE carbon tubular rim available for purchase as a part?

Thanks

-B

The Reynolds Attacks are like 29mm or so I think, would those work?

Fatty
02-11-2016, 07:23 PM
DT Swiss rr511.

New style rim . Waiting on 28 / 32 to get stocked.

Fatty
02-11-2016, 07:24 PM
Oops never mind, see you are looking for tubies.

Dead Man
02-11-2016, 07:26 PM
The Reynolds Attacks are like 29mm or so I think, would those work?

Not seeing tubular attacks listed... do they come in tubular? I know they used to

I'm pretty sure they actually offered me an Attack as a replacement option, but I don't recall the depth being that close. Maybe I was brain farting. Yea, 29mm is definitely "close enough," especially for a front