PDA

View Full Version : Very OT - Scientists detect gravitational waves

NHAero
02-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Almost 100 years after Einstein predicted their existence - pretty darn cool science!

http://news.mit.edu/2016/ligo-first-detection-gravitational-waves-0211

rnhood
02-11-2016, 04:45 PM
Almost 100 years after Einstein predicted their existence - pretty darn cool science!

http://news.mit.edu/2016/ligo-first-detection-gravitational-waves-0211

Good job Albert. He was a thinker.

2LeftCleats
02-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Wondered what was slowing me down.

rounder
02-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Obviously I am no scientist. But with all the technology that is available today and with all of the scientists who have come and gone over the last 100 years, it is pretty cool that Einstein was able to come up with that.

"Einstein is right in a regime where his theory has never been tested before.”

MattTuck
02-11-2016, 08:16 PM
If anyone cares, there was a good PBS show (I think NOVA) on Einstein and his theory a few weeks ago. Probably available ONdemand or via the PBS website.

He was a very special individual. The show indicated he created General Relativity in the space of 4 weeks due to a series of lectures he was scheduled to give on the topic, explaining his theory. Would be like writing War and Peace on a deadline.

Still, he wasn't all knowing. He never figured out the unified theory, and still had doubts about quantum theory. I'm not even sure string theory was a thing when he died. Still, he did radically change our perception of the universe around us.

mtb_frk
02-11-2016, 09:11 PM
First detection of a binary black hole pair also. Very cool stuff indeed.

unterhausen
02-11-2016, 10:46 PM
I don't think it's OT, if it weren't for gravity I'd be a much better cyclist

spartanKid
02-11-2016, 11:46 PM
He never figured out the unified theory, and still had doubts about quantum theory. I'm not even sure string theory was a thing when he died

Yup, you're correct. String theory only came about in the 80s. Definitely not around during Einstein's time.

In his defense, we're really not that close to a grand unified theory at all. Unfortunately the existence of gravity waves doesn't get us any closer. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

54ny77
02-12-2016, 12:08 AM
Imagine what he could've done if he consulted for SRAM.

:p

laupsi
02-12-2016, 05:34 AM
Einstein had many flaws, example, he wasn't a very good mathematician. He was very good at looking at the world and our universe from a very different perspective, he also understood very well the laws of physics and was aware he had to maintain those laws when detailing his theories, (and in some cases too much so that he had to "fudge" some of the math to obtain consistent results). Yes he was brilliant, but for most of what we know about our world today the real kudos should go to Newton! Not a swip at Einstein, most of his work however, "was done on the back of others". Not my words, his.

oldpotatoe
02-12-2016, 05:52 AM
Imagine what he could've done if he consulted for SRAM.

:p

How do you recall a theory of relativity?;)

soulspinner
02-12-2016, 06:00 AM
How do you recall a theory of relativity?;)

:hello:

weisan
02-12-2016, 06:06 AM
A few of my favs...

PQJ
02-12-2016, 06:10 AM
Some are saying this is the start of a global conspiracy by the scientific community to reverse gravity in order to get grants to trickle up into the heavens where they have a giant money vacuum at the ready. I remain skeptical, however.

Just kidding. Seriously.

weisan
02-12-2016, 06:24 AM
Einstein had many flaws, example, he wasn't a very good mathematician.

haha

weisan
02-12-2016, 06:26 AM
my all-tme fav.

laupsi
02-12-2016, 07:14 AM
my favorite "Einsteinism" has nothing at all to do w/Physics:

"the greatest force in the universe is compounded interest"

for all the younger forumites, it's all the financial advice you really need!!!

ctcyclistbob
02-12-2016, 09:01 AM
This one's great too:

NHAero
02-12-2016, 09:09 AM
"Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the former."

Mark McM
02-12-2016, 10:10 AM
Einstein had many flaws, example, he wasn't a very good mathematician.

This is a common misconception. In fact, Einstein was very good at math. The idea that he wasn't good at math may have come about because he got assistance with the math when he was working on his theory of relativity. He didn't need math assistance because he wasn't good at math, but because working out the theory required someone who was not just good at math, but was exemplary at math.

http://www.askamathematician.com/2009/12/q-do-you-exactly-know-what-einstein-meant-by-do-not-worry-about-your-difficulties-in-mathematics-i-can-assure-you-mine-are-still-greater/

spartanKid
02-12-2016, 10:12 AM
This is a common misconception. In fact, Einstein was very good at math. The idea that he wasn't good at math may have come about because he got assistance with the math when he was working on his theory of relativity. He didn't need math assistance because he wasn't good at math, but because working out the theory required someone who was not just good at math, but was exemplary at math.

http://www.askamathematician.com/2009/12/q-do-you-exactly-know-what-einstein-meant-by-do-not-worry-about-your-difficulties-in-mathematics-i-can-assure-you-mine-are-still-greater/

Thank you. I was just about to say, he "wasn't very good at math" compared to the pure mathematicians he had to elicit help from for Reimannian geometry.

d_man16
02-14-2016, 06:48 AM
When, I heard this I giggled with joy- I just love the non-classical world....Superposition is so cool (even though I'm ad the back of the ride...every once in a while I'm also in front ;))

It's like winning the "race" to the top of the bell curve :D

I'm pretty sure that Schwartzchild? Solved one of Einstein's "unsolvealbe" equations during the first world war?

BR,

~D

Peter P.
02-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Gravitational waves are caused by Donald Trump's movement about the universe.

Newton's greatest contribution was the fig.