PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 5 Day vacation Ride

Len J
12-18-2003, 06:26 AM
I would like to do a 5 day riding vacation this summer and am looking for ideas/experiences as to what to do.

Parameters:

1.) I would like to stay in the US.
2.) I would like to do 70 to 10 miles per day
3.) I would like to stay in hotels.
4.) I would prefer to have my Bags forwarded from hotel to hotel
5.) I would like to ride with an organized group of like minded riders.
6.) Not opposed to climbing (although 10,000 ft/day for 5 days might be extreme).
7.) Would like some sightseeing along the way.

Individual particulars:

48 yo Non-drinker (am not looking for an excuse to get drunk)
16 to 20 MPH average speed depending on terrain & distance. I do 6 hour elapsed time solo centuries throughout the year.

Anybody have any ideas?

Help is much appreciated.

Len

Smiley
12-18-2003, 06:48 AM
My wife and I did the first Raliegh NC to DC AIDS ride, yes we did raise the fee required and then some ( it's a great cause ), we did get to do a very satisfying 360 mile ride home under controlled conditions of sag and rest stops. Look it up as i am sure there is one near you. The alternative is sign up now for Ragbri or Ride the Rockies, also great events . Best of luck.

mfb1001
12-18-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Smiley
My wife and I did the first Raliegh NC to DC AIDS ride, yes we did raise the fee required and then some ( it's a great cause ), we did get to do a very satisfying 360 mile ride home under controlled conditions of sag and rest stops. Look it up as i am sure there is one near you. The alternative is sign up now for Ragbri or Ride the Rockies, also great events . Best of luck.

Smiley - I've tried to do the aids ride in CA (SF to LA) and both times I had to quit b/4 ride started. Do you have the link for the ride from NC to DC. I might try a go at it again, they the third one is the charmer. thanks

Len J
12-18-2003, 07:13 AM
Smiley:

I did the 2001 Alaska Aids ride. 500 Miles from Fairbanks to Anchorage. What an incredible experience. BTW, I raised $6,000.

Unfortunatly, I was turned off by the high level of expenses that consumed the donations. The percentage that actually got turned over to AIDS research was embarrasing.

Great idea though.

Len

Jay Torborg
12-18-2003, 09:21 AM
The following tour companies have tours that might meet your needs:

America by Bicycle www.abbike.com (http://www.abbike.com)

Pac Tour www.pactour.com (http://www.pactour.com)

Trek Travel www.trektravel.com (http://www.trektravel.com)

Ciclismo Classico www.ciclismoclassico.com (http://www.ciclismoclassico.com)

- Jay

CaptHawk
12-18-2003, 10:02 AM
If September is good for you, check out www.CycleOregon. I have done this ride 13 times in a row now and am planning to continue till I kick the bucket. The finest and most beautiful cycling you can do!!!:banana:

Smiley II
12-18-2003, 10:13 AM
Food and Friends sponsors this ride now because Pallotti Assoc. ripped off the Charities in my opinion. They still run the NC to DC ride and maybe you can hook up with brother Pete and Spoke while down there. Good level terrain ride. If I get the notice I'll send you the link , its usually held in June, Try searching for the link for Food and Friends in Wash. DC. best of luck.

pbbob
12-18-2003, 10:53 AM
might want to check pedal pa. ride across pennsylvania in 5 days, ride up to 70 miles a day or so, stay in college towns and dorms, some hills and flat options.
next to the eastern shore I like pennsylvania best.

certified chiquita free.

Black Bart
12-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Heartily recommend the Bicycle Tour of Colorado - www.bicycletourcolo.com . Most riders camp along the way, but you can get relatively inexpensive help making hotel arrangements through The Alpine Connection, linked from the main site. If you opt for camping, the Tour trucks your bags from destination to destination; if you work with Alpine Connection, they take care of the hauling for you. The Tour is very well organized and considerably more "serious" than Ride the Rockies or some other rolling parties I have encountered. There are usually about 1300 to 1500 participants but this year is the tenth anniversary and they are expecting a higher enrollment. My wife and I have completed this ride three times and they have been three of the best vacations we have ever taken.

larryp2
12-18-2003, 08:54 PM
check out the FANY ride across NY state, usually 3rd week in July. very well run, will be offering hotel option this year. were about 60 riders last year, spectacular scenery, exactly the mileage you're looking for. it is a full 7 days though.

www.fanyride.com

vaxn8r
12-18-2003, 10:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Cycle Oregon is camping. Am I wrong about this?

RDP
12-18-2003, 11:01 PM
What I am about to describe does not fit your 'parameters' but it was a 'breakthrough' vacation for me in terms of relaxation and cycling...

Went on our mostly annual trip to St. Croix during off-season tourist time, rented a bike at a local shop and stayed at a nice quiet family oriented bungalow style resort on the shore w/ a quiet lagoon. BTW - the bike mechanic was a local racer who provided excellent customer service and Cruzan hospitality.

The Cruzans are great people...and the island is much less developed than it more famous sibling. The weather is always spot on, even when it rains (unless it's a hurricane). The trade winds are consistently strong as you venture out on a loop heading towards the easternmost point of the U.S. ...the hills are punchy requiring a triple in my then sad physical state. However, the return ride was awesome, with mediterrean-like scenes as you descend to the south shore.

Traffic can be problematic if you ride through the towns....I did this only once coming back on a fast descent which I will never do again, but you just need to be careful (they drive on the opposite side). You will probably need 'more' island to get the mileage you want but the views are beautiful...and there is no need to switch hotels unless you venture to another island.

There are club riders on the island but I never linked up with them but saw riders once in while....but it didn't matter. I rode within myself and trained up nicely, ate healthy, and enjoyed the afternoons on the beach with my family. My wife insisted that I leave the laptop at home...brilliant idea.

If you're super fit or just want to punish yourself you can always ride the 'beast' which is the signature climb of the annual St. Croix triathlon.....the rain forest roads are narrow but also worth exploring. Five days might not be enough as there are eco-touring opportunities, snorkeling, diving, fishing... it's all very good. No passport required.

Kevin
12-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Len,

Take a look at America by Bicycle Tours. I belive that the website is abbike.com

They seem to have about half dozen rides throughout the country that fit your paramaters. Their tours include hotels, meals, support vehicles, luggage transportation, etc.

Since my wife does not ride, I only get to look at the brochures when they show up.

Kevin