PDA

View Full Version : OT: Running pack

p nut
02-11-2016, 01:52 PM
I started a thread on this a year or two ago, and ended up purchasing a Salomon S-lab pack, which has been awesome. Now with some mileage with it, I am looking to get a bigger pack for all day outings. I did a ~40 mile out and back hike/run, summiting a peak last year, and I could not fit what I needed in that pack.

So I am looking for something with 10-15L capacity. Food, water, clothes, first aid kit, etc. will need to all fit. And of course, most importantly, a pack that will be secure with maybe 7-10lbs worth of gear in the pack.

I've never owned an Ult. Direction pack, but this one has me interested:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Ultimate_Direction_PB_Adventure_Vest_20/descpage-UDPBAV2.html

Looks like there is a 3.0 version coming out, which is much bigger (16L), but I don't think it's got any real benefits over this pack and it's much more expensive.

I've also looked at offerings from Innov8, Montane, Camelbak, Nathan, and few others. Unfortunately, I can't find any of these locally. Even REI is out of stock on all of them (probably time of season).

Any inputs from those that have used any of these packs? Thanks.

gdw
02-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Are you a member of the backpacking.net forum?

p nut
02-12-2016, 02:52 PM
No, I try not to register on too many forums. Really just a member of this forum and one other, and that's it. :D

verticaldoug
02-12-2016, 03:37 PM
I recommend you find something you can try on. Fit is so individualized, and once you stuff it full of junk and try to jog around a store, you know what you have.

Inov8 has a nice 16L pack which is very nice. Not sure if available in the states.
OMM (original mountain marathon) race pack also has a very nice 15L.

If you want to just fastpack there are more options.
Mammut has a nice lithium pack which works too.

If you want to do some of your own research, check out the packs the ultra runners use in the marathon de sables. They carry mutliple days of food and minimal clothing across the Sahara. You get some wicked rigs.

Douglas

dsimon
02-12-2016, 03:53 PM
where the F**k do you run to need all that????

gdw
02-12-2016, 03:55 PM
The reason I asked is because a number of that forum's members are accomplished adventure racers and could provide advice based upon their experiences. I know two of them who are planning to race the AZT 750 use Salomon packs, unknown model, and one used an Ultimate Directions pack while setting the new Tour 14er record. http://longranger.justinsimoni.com/who-is-the-long-ranger/

p nut
02-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Vericaldoug - I hoped to try some on, but I'm having trouble finding shops with the models I'm interested in, in stock. I know what you mean by fit. I have a Camelbak running pack that is downright horrible. Salomon S-lab has been fantastic, though. I'm not running through Sahara just yet, but I will be doing some runs down in So. Utah and AZ this year (no races--just solo or group of friends).

gdw - thanks for the info. I've been pretty impressed with my Salomon pack (sticks to me like glue). Their bigger packs look good, so I'll check them out.

csi - the lone and dreary world.... :D

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz208/201C/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxfqxr9d3.jpeg

verticaldoug
02-12-2016, 04:42 PM
If you like your s-lab pack, just order the skin-pro 15 in the same size online. If you don't like it, send it back. But I find salomon stuff consistently good. I've been wearing their trail shoes ever since they came out with the RAIDs in the 90's. I love my S-Lab Wings. I don't know how many versions I've been through, but these keep getting better.