PDA

View Full Version : another reason why riding the trainer sucks

Dr Luxurious
02-11-2016, 10:10 AM
Derailleur cable snapped at the head (in the lever), cable went slack, the crank caught it, flung it into the back wheel, the wheel flung the frayed end into the back of my leg like a cat-o-nine-tails made of razor wire.

I called it a night.

jwess1234
02-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Yikes--I hope you're ok.

I've always maintained that riding on a trainer is more dangerous than on the road. This is another bit of evidence. However, it comes nowhere near the very real risk of dying from boredom.

bumknees
02-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Are you up to date on your tetanus shots?

merlincustom1
02-11-2016, 10:25 AM
That coulda happened on the road, but your tights might have borne the brunt of it.

Auk
02-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Kids stuff.

Few years back I ran over a wire clothes hanger with the front wheel, which popped it up enough for the back wheel (fixed gear) to grab and snag it. Then hanger then proceeded to whip me in the ass on each rotation. This all was happening while doing 25mph down and hill. I shiver everytime I see a wire hanger on the ground.

Saint Vitus
02-11-2016, 10:28 AM
That coulda happened on the road, but your tights might have borne the brunt of it.

Actually it could have been worse, it gets tangled in the rear wheel and causes a crash.

Note to self; all new cables for the Look.

GScot
02-11-2016, 10:34 AM
LOL. My wife had a Specialized tire blow out and a section of tread pulled away and swatted her on the butt every rotation until she got stopped. After it was apparent she was OK it took a while for any one of the group to stop laughing so they could ride on back to get a car.

makoti
02-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Derailleur cable snapped at the head (in the lever), cable went slack, the crank caught it, flung it into the back wheel, the wheel flung the frayed end into the back of my leg like a cat-o-nine-tails made of razor wire.

I called it a night.

Baby. Rub some dirt on it and get back out there!

MattTuck
02-11-2016, 10:49 AM
I really don't mind riding the trainer this year.

EPIC! Stratton
02-11-2016, 12:24 PM

Some people like the punishment I guess.... ;)

Dead Man
02-11-2016, 12:28 PM
I haven't been on the trainer once... still haven't managed to find a sufficiently cheap 11-speed rear wheel to sacrifice for it. I've done a few rollers seshes... but really, I'm just once again resolving to ride wet. And be thankful we dont freeze over for 9 months, like some of you

Have almost gone off the rollers a couple times, though... come so close I'm actually not really sure how the hell I didn't. Also got a flat on the rollers a few weeks ago ... a tubular, no less. :mad:

makoti
02-11-2016, 12:33 PM

I'm with ya, Matt. I kind of like it for a few weeks. It's a change & I think I'm more focused inside. If I have to do it much into March, I start to tire of it.

MattTuck
02-11-2016, 12:37 PM
I'm with ya, Matt. I kind of like it for a few weeks. It's a change & I think I'm more focused inside. If I have to do it much into March, I start to tire of it.

I forget who said it, but there's a quote out there suggesting that the best cyclists are just the ones that can make themselves hurt the most. Riding the trainer is practice for mental toughness as well as physical toughness.

Also, no coasting on a trainer. An hour of pedaling on a trainer is much harder than an hour of riding outside.

guido
02-11-2016, 12:38 PM
I haven't been outside since early december and haven't missed it at all. Did 4 hours on sunday.

MesiJezi
02-11-2016, 01:11 PM

I called it a night.

Kids stuff.

Few years back I ran over a wire clothes hanger with the front wheel, which popped it up enough for the back wheel (fixed gear) to grab and snag it. Then hanger then proceeded to whip me in the ass on each rotation. This all was happening while doing 25mph down and hill. I shiver everytime I see a wire hanger on the ground.

Hilarious!

Burnette
02-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Well OP, I guess you've provided me one more exscuse to wait for eTap!
I have been punishing myself on the rollers these last few months too.
I can tell it's helping. And yes, riding a full hour with intervals thrown in is a challenge. I don't make it he full hoirsometimes.
To the OP, I ride rollers and once had front tire go down while riding them (my fault, bad tube installation). Pucker factor was about a ten until I got it stopped and got off.

echelon_john
02-11-2016, 01:28 PM
I told Jonny Hoogerland your story; he was really sorry to hear what happened and sends his best wishes!

:banana:

I called it a night.

batman1425
02-11-2016, 01:34 PM
At least your flywheel didn't self destruct launching large sharp fragments of metal at you at an alarming velocity.

Note - didn't happen to me, but some pretty gruesome pictures out there from a computrainer owner that had this happen, which played a roll in the recent blue flywheel recall.

93legendti
02-11-2016, 01:40 PM

I was riding outdoors 3-4 days a week until a friend got sick and we started to help take care of him and his family...at that point it didn't seem right to tell his wife I would be over to help after my bike ride.

So, I have been riding the trainer 6 nights a week at 10:00pm. I look forward to it.

It's 10 degrees today. I have ridden outdoors in this weather, but the trainer at 10:00pm will be cozy...:)

572cv
02-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Dr L, a cautionary tale.... my sympathies.

Doesn't sound like the trainer itself was the culprit, which makes it a little easier to say that my trainer experience this winter has been pretty good! I scored a Krietler roller/headwind combo here on the forum- and between that and an old Lemond Revolution, I've got some variety and challenge. Also, last year's Tour and Giro are on Youtube, so the scenery has never been better.

But I'm going to order some new cables anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

nooneline
02-11-2016, 01:45 PM
I told Jonny Hoogerland your story; he was really sorry to hear what happened and sends his best wishes!

:banana:

you sure about that?

i was drinkin' Duvel with him and brought this up and he did the "tiniest violin" thing with his fingers.

oldpotatoe
02-11-2016, 04:10 PM

I called it a night.

7800 or 6600?

Dead Man
02-11-2016, 04:32 PM
bikes r dangerous