PDA

View Full Version : Transfer or new components?

flydhest
02-11-2016, 09:37 AM
You all may get pestered with a series of "help me spend my money" posts. I love to spend other people's money, so here is my contribution back.

I am changing jobs. Indeed, I am a week into three weeks of gainful unemployment before starting a new gig. On my "to do" list is to buy myself a new bike for the new job. Just spoke with the custom builder whose work I have been eyeing for some time. Long time folks on this forum speak highly of him, as well, so I am feeling good. Anyway, lugged steel, steel fork. My current stable has a Look 585 and a Serotta Legend. Both have Campy 10. My wife's bike (custom Curt Goodrich) has Campy 10.

I am most likely going to sell the Serotta, so the question is, do I go for a whole build with the new bike and get Campy 11? Or do I sell the Serotta frame and fork and swap over the parts?

Going new has its allure. Swapping means interoperability of wheels, including with the wife's bike.

Discuss. The new job (I am fortunate to say) means that cost is not much of an issue. I am getting rid of the Legend for space and fit reasons.

JasonF
02-11-2016, 09:42 AM
I actually prefer Record 10 to 11 - gear changes have more of that satisfying "clunk" and seem (at least how I've dialed things in) to shift a bit crisper. That said, my two bikes both carry 11-speed due to wheel issues, but I'm thinking about "downgrading" to 10...I'm guessing I'd need a spacer or something for the cassette.

fiamme red
02-11-2016, 09:43 AM
On my "to do" list is to buy myself a new bike for the new job.Bike messenger? ;)

Mzilliox
02-11-2016, 09:53 AM
I'd probably stick with campy 10 speed and enjoy the cross useability. its nice to swap wheels rather than change a cassette or tire. its nice that you can swap out parts to keep one bike running if need be. I mean you get what, 2 more gears a tiny bits of weight reduction?

or you could simply sell me your Legend equipped with said Campy 10 and save me the trouble and satisfy your urge for the new 11s

thirdgenbird
02-11-2016, 09:53 AM
I actually prefer Record 10 to 11 - gear changes have more of that satisfying "clunk" and seem (at least how I've dialed things in) to shift a bit crisper. That said, my two bikes both carry 11-speed due to wheel issues, but I'm thinking about "downgrading" to 10...I'm guessing I'd need a spacer or something for the cassette.

Cassette is a direct swap.

I haven't owned 11. C10 is so satisfying, I haven't left. I've got three record 10 bikes and enough parts to put together another one.

I love 100% wheel swapping. I've got four wheelsets for the three bikes and each has a different style tire and/or cassette size. I can mix and match for about any ride.

AngryScientist
02-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Discuss. The new job (I am fortunate to say) means that cost is not much of an issue.

New New New.

The very latest campy 11 speed stuff is superb. Looks great on lugged steel frames too. your 10-sp wheels from the legend will accept an 11-sp cassette. use them for back-up wheels and get a new set of hoops for the new steed also. new job, new city, new frame - go all in: new components and wheels.

example of the awesomeness of lugged steel and brand spankin new campy:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pKzPKneb9-8/Vj5k617phkI/AAAAAAAACSI/IoQ_8Il43fg/s1140/IMG_1226.JPG

sandyrs
02-11-2016, 10:00 AM
If cost isn't an object, why not keep the Record 10, buy some 11 speed, mount the 11 speed, and then sell whichever group you like less after some miles on both?

Ken Robb
02-11-2016, 10:01 AM
Since the common belief seems to be that a seller can net more $$$ selling frame/fork separately from the other components these components are probably worth a lot more to you than the extra value they might add to the value of your frame/fork.
I agree with the positive comments about interchangeability of wheels, etc.

FlashUNC
02-11-2016, 10:07 AM
Buy 11. The hoods are ugly but ye gods are they more comfortable than 10. I also think it all tends to work better, but that's just my two cents.

http://hellogiggles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/10/treatyoself.jpg?123

54ny77
02-11-2016, 10:07 AM
With 3 bikes, my vote is keep the 10 for awhile.

Or wait till Campy de-uglifies the Super Record crank, then get new. :D

bumknees
02-11-2016, 10:14 AM
If it's 10s with Chorus alloy levers, upgrade to 11s, and sell the 10s stuff to me

DRZRM
02-11-2016, 10:32 AM
I have Record 10 on three bikes, used to be four. When I got the Firefly I was in the same position as you, I think I initially built it with 10, then saw a deal for Record 11 here, and never looked back. Sure it may be nice to swap wheels fast if I hit the garage and find a flat, but pulling a cassette is no big deal. I love the 11.

ceolwulf
02-11-2016, 10:33 AM
With 3 bikes, my vote is keep the 10 for awhile.

Or wait till Campy de-uglifies the Super Record crank, then get new. :D

Could also get a different crank if the Campy one doesn't appeal, maybe a Hollowgram.

mwynne
02-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Buy 11. The hoods are ugly but ye gods are they more comfortable than 10. I also think it all tends to work better, but that's just my two cents.

This is why I am conflicted over upgrading to 11. 10 just looks SO good...

zap
02-11-2016, 10:56 AM
Congrats on the new job.

Now, how worn are the 10 parts. If you have been riding then it is probably time. So, new frameset=new groupo. The 11 Campy hoods are very different from 10 and require bars that are just so. For me the Thomson bars work very well in that they don't cant the hoods back (tempo with hands on the hoods, forearm flat on the bars) when installed to Campy specs.

icepick_trotsky
02-11-2016, 11:07 AM
Hey, what size is that Serotta, OP? ;)

flydhest
02-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Very helpful replies. I realized that I have yet another Campy 10 bike--my commuter.

OK, that said, Zap, definitely a good amount of use but likely not worn out.

The Legend is a 60x60 with an Alpha Q fork.

Angry, as it turns out, the job I took is still in DC, turned out to be a better fit, but the new, new, new resonates.

You guys are great food for thought.

shovelhd
02-11-2016, 11:37 AM
I'm with Angry. Treat yourself.

OtayBW
02-11-2016, 11:51 AM
I like the mechanics (feel) of Record 10, but I prefer the ergonomics of Record/SR 11. That said, I would agree with everyone else who says Treat YoFelf! You may or may not like the look of the Record 2016 group/crank (I do), but for a lugged steel frame, digging up a nice alloy group would look cool as well.

scrubadub
02-11-2016, 12:01 PM
I have a couple of bikes with Campy 10-speed alloy parts and two bikes with Campy 11 (the 2015 Revolution stuff). Both are very tactile but in a different way. The 10-speed alloy shifters have a very satisfying deep ker-chunk and although the front shifting is a little slower it works perfectly fine. The latest 11-speed stuff is just a bit smoother and is still very tactile though it feels a bit "plasticky" for lack of a better word. The 11-speed hoods are more comfortable in general but both work well, you just need to find the right bars to use them with (for me, 10-speed: shallow drops or 3T Tornova; 11-speed 3T Rotundo). I think the newer cranks are way stiffer and feel more solid than the 10-speed stuff but it doesn't change my speed, just feels different.

I think inter-operability is always nice but since it's all in the Campy system it's not a big deal to swap a cassette.

I'd say if you are feeling the itch to try 11-speed, go for it, you won't be disappointed. All the stuff looks good and works great no matter what frame you use it on. Here's my excuse to post a bunch of photos :D

thwart
02-11-2016, 12:07 PM
I'd go with the new stuff; it works well and looks cool. Well, except the crank, anyway... and even that is likely to be an acquired taste over time. Sort of like the looks of most carbon bikes... ;)

I still prefer 10 speed Campy but if you're setting up a brand spankin' new bike (and you can afford it) I'd get the new gruppo.

Regarding wheel interchangability, you can shift 10 spd and 11 spd cassettes back and forth (if you keep them stored on the plastic holder) in 5-10 minutes. Less if you do it a fair amount.

soulspinner
02-11-2016, 12:28 PM
I'm with Angry. Treat yourself.

One more in this camp. Have 10 speed with a bazillion miles, prefer 11 hoods, be aware chains dont seem to last as long.

scrubadub
02-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Everyone rags on the new crankset but in person I think it looks a lot better. Plus the black hides the visual weight of it pretty well.

AngryScientist
02-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Everyone rags on the new crankset but in person I think it looks a lot better. Plus the black hides the visual weight of it pretty well.

i like the new crank, personally.

biker72
02-11-2016, 01:01 PM
I prefer the shifting of my Athena 11 Titanium Seven over my Chorus 10 Specialized Allez. 11 hoods are better too.

That said, unless your 10sp grouppo is worn I'd just swap components.
If you decide to go 11sp get the Athena group with Chorus shifters.

v531xc
02-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Personally, I would keep the 10 speed for now and build up the frame to get your fit dialed in. You're familiar with the components so they won't be a variable during the first month when you're getting settled on the bike.

For me, that would give me enough time to thoughtfully select and save up for either the full component group or the shifty bits and the fancy crank I'd want.

Any chance your Legend is a 57 or 58? If so, PM me!! :banana:
edit - I see its 60x60. Too long for me, but 60x58 would be superb.

alexstar
02-11-2016, 01:25 PM
I would buy new components. The 11 speed stuff works really well. I had the same concerns when I bought a bike with an 11 speed group, but in practice I don't actually swap wheels between bikes very often, and when I do, a cassette swap is a matter of a couple minutes' work. It is really nice to have new parts on a new bike.

FlashUNC
02-11-2016, 01:37 PM
i like the new crank, personally.

The new crank looks way better in person than in photos.

pdmtong
02-11-2016, 01:38 PM
we are now 7-8 years into 11sp. Get the 11sp. wheels swaps will just mean a cassette swap too.

My C11 out of the box was a smooth as my R10 after 5k miles. I like the upper curve on the 11sp lever for braking form the hoods, and the wider lower blade for braking in the drops. I never had issue with the smaller 10sp horn, but the 11sp is nicer. I think the new four arm crank is just fine.

now is the perfect opty to try something new across the board.

Steve in SLO
02-11-2016, 02:15 PM
I would go with a new 11 speed group.
Why?

There is nothing quite like swinging a leg over a new custom frame with new components that no one has ever ridden before.

Extra points if you install and set it up yourself. Quite satisfying.

oldpotatoe
02-11-2016, 04:08 PM
You all may get pestered with a series of "help me spend my money" posts. I love to spend other people's money, so here is my contribution back.

I am changing jobs. Indeed, I am a week into three weeks of gainful unemployment before starting a new gig. On my "to do" list is to buy myself a new bike for the new job. Just spoke with the custom builder whose work I have been eyeing for some time. Long time folks on this forum speak highly of him, as well, so I am feeling good. Anyway, lugged steel, steel fork. My current stable has a Look 585 and a Serotta Legend. Both have Campy 10. My wife's bike (custom Curt Goodrich) has Campy 10.

I am most likely going to sell the Serotta, so the question is, do I go for a whole build with the new bike and get Campy 11? Or do I sell the Serotta frame and fork and swap over the parts?

Going new has its allure. Swapping means interoperability of wheels, including with the wife's bike.

Discuss. The new job (I am fortunate to say) means that cost is not much of an issue. I am getting rid of the Legend for space and fit reasons.

Get Chorus 11s or Chorus EPS...don't look back.

rounder
02-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Get Chorus 11s or Chorus EPS...don't look back.

That's what I did.

After spending a few years at the Serotta forum, I went to NAHBS and decided to get a custom steel bike with steel fork. The frame arrived and was beautiful. It was built up with new Chorus 11-speed that I bought from Ribble. Everything worked out great and was happy.

I already had two bikes with 10-speed record. The Chorus works great but the 10-speed Record was a little prettier to me. I could have afforded the 11-speed Record but went with Chorus because I thought it was a little more down home for my bike.

Flydhest is in a win-win situation. It sounds like he already knows bikes and any decision he makes will be a good one.

uber
02-12-2016, 07:47 AM
Record 10 is as smooth as it gets, but the latest 11 is just about as nice and my guess is, it will equal or surpass 10 with age. Earlier editions of Record or SR 11 as not as nice as the newest. Be good to yourself. My vote is to put a new gruppo on a new bike. I can't speak for Chorus or SR11, but I love the new Record 11.

choke
02-12-2016, 02:48 PM
I'm in the minority but I would keep the 10sp. I have one bike I purchased with Campy 11 and, while it works fine, I don't see it as any real improvement over 10sp. I also prefer the older hood shape.