PDA

View Full Version : Generic Custom (Frame) Caveat Emptor

mgreene888
02-11-2016, 08:22 AM
Many years ago, I was the end of a bad custom frame build deal. When I (non-threateningly) went to the builder in person, I ended up having a gun pointed at me! I subsequently went to the cops, who did nothing.

In the years since, I have had many interactions with various individuals offering custom parts or items (I tend to have things made or customized). I have come to two main conclusions:

1. Some people that become lone-wolf artisanal customizer types (or just generic small business owners) do so because their personality prevents them from working successfully with anyone else. They want to be in a space where no one can tell them what to do – and where they can tell anyone who doesn’t like it to “@#$%-off”. These types may dig their heels in and be less likely to deliver in a timely manner if a customer complains. Of course they cannot see themselves as liars when they promise to deliver by a deadline they already know they cant meet. So, caveat emptor when buying custom goods. Of course, there are people who build bike frames simply because they love it and in the best of all worlds, their wife is a doctor or investment banker.

2. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Lets face it, custom artisanal thangs are luxury items that are often driven by trends. Customizers get overwhelmed when they are offering a service that a lot of people (following the trend) tend to want at the same time. So, if we are reasonable and try to “put ourselves in the other guy’s shoes”, we wont want to incessantly bother the seller with a “are we there yet” type of narrative. But, from experience, I have learned that that is exactly what you should do. Why? Because the other people in line behind you are doing it and they are getting their item/service AHEAD OF YOU.:bike:

Mike

Dead Man
02-11-2016, 08:51 AM
As a small business owner who is NOT married to a doctor - i'd caution you about No. 2. The people that make my life the hardest get ignored first. Most people are content to wait in the queue and not hassle me. Some very few will send me anxiety-inducing emails or call me with discontent. Discontent freaks me out, man. I hate the idea that people aren't 100% happy and content with me, and if anyone ever complains about anything at all my whole psychological world comes crashing down.

I AM "that good" that i can run a business with next to zero complaining... So its a two part problem when people do complain: 1, it just plain gives me anxiety- theres nothing i can do about it. Other people have also paid deposits and want their project done, im ethically bound not to cheat anyone ahead in the queue. 2, it assaults my exaggerated ego, which induces a defense mechanism trip, and i get angry at the offending client... Which surely they can sense and surely detracts from their customer service experience. Ive also been known to just send back a non-refundable deposit and cut a whiny client out, freeing up the queue for all the non-whiners.

Different industries... But very similar in operation. Im just pointing out that i dont think you can operate on any hard and fast rules - everyone does things different, has different ideas about stuff, different personality defects, etc. something that works well in one situation isnt going to in another.

mgreene888
02-11-2016, 09:15 AM
I can dig it, but I have been in situations (not cycling related) where I found out by the grapevine that others were getting served before me - who had ordered many months after I did.

For me, an imminently reasonable guy BTW :D, my version of whining in my last custom deal, delivered on time, as promised, w/o any problems by bike builder Rich Adams, was to send an 2 emails:

The first one recounting the terms of the deal made by phone, including the promised timeline - the same day as the phone call. (Something I learned to do in business, so if someone did not get the same gist of the verbal negotiation as you did - it gets ironed out immediately and put in writing.)

The second email was sent one or two weeks before the deadline to the following effect: "Hi, this is a just a reminder that my promised delivery date is XXX."

Likely, the small project would have been delivered on time anyway (Rich seems like a pretty straight forward guy) experience dictated that I whinge a little, just to be sure :)

As an aside, one thing that can save headaches is to simply ask the "extra question", e.g., - "you say you can deliver in X weeks/months - is this a hard-and-fast promise or is this just a feel good date offered to close the deal?" How you ask this question requires tact, but if tactfully delivered, the way it is received can reveal a lot about the character of the seller.

Mike