PDA

View Full Version : Variation on the "Loyalty to LBS" Thread

JonnyComeLately
06-06-2006, 05:11 PM
First, sorry for a new post so similar to another recent thread.

Here's the situation. I'm lucky enough to have an LBS that I really like. I haven't bought much in the way of parts from them (or from anyone else) since moving to this area a couple years ago, but I can recall several times when I've brought my bikes in for service and been told "don't worry about it" when time comes to pay. On top of that, they're just nice guys whom I enjoy shooting the breeze with.

Now I'm in the market for my first really high-end bike. My LBS is a Seven dealer, and I had just assumed I'd buy a Seven from them because I think Sevens are wonderful bikes and I wanted to throw my business their way. I even told them that I'd be by in the fall to get fitted and order. Unfortunately, I'm now (at least partially as a result of reading some of the threads on this site!) wavering in my choice of bike. I'm leaning now toward visiting Tom Kellogg and buying a Spectrum.

My question is this -- how far should loyalty to one's LBS go in this situation? My sense is that I shouldn't feel too guilty because (a) They don't, of course, carry Spectrum, and I shouldn't feel guilty about buying a bike from a line they don't carry; (b) Performance, Nashbar and Ebay are their main source of competition rather than Spectrum; (c) Since they're genuine admirers of fine bikes, they'll appreciate the appeal of a Spectrum even if they didn't sell it to me; and (d) I'll still be in for maintenance on the bike after the purchase and give them my business in other ways.

Does this reasoning sound right to people? Am I worrying too much? Any other comments?

Lanternrouge
06-06-2006, 05:18 PM
If you have your heart set on a bike that your LBS can't get you, I'm sure they won't take offense. I had a similar situation a couple years ago (and ended up with a Seven) in that I decided it was what I really wanted, but I couldn't get one through the LBS, so I had to get it elsewhere at another LBS that wasn't so local to me (about a half hour away).

It's not as though you're not getting a Seven there to buying a Litespeed somewhere else.

Although you didn't ask, I'd recommend the Spectrum over the Seven because I think you'll end up with a better fit working with Tom Kellog than you will get with Seven. Plus, you have the added coolness factor of having a boutique bike.

97CSI
06-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Buy your Spectrum from Tom Kellogg (whom I highly recommend - did an excellent repair on my bike) and give to your LBS to build up with whatever parts you need (fork, group, whatever - even if it is just a new cable set, bar tape and an install and adjustment). That should make you and your LBS happy.

znfdl
06-06-2006, 05:24 PM
I agree with LanternRouge, as the Spectrum will be a boutique bike and if you get fit at the barn you will be in for a wonderful experience.

Spectrum Bob
06-06-2006, 05:24 PM
You may check with TK but I think he would ship the frame to a your local bike shop for the build – good luck

David Kirk
06-06-2006, 05:25 PM
If Tom's bikes turn your cranks (so to speak) buy one and get the kit from your shop and have them put it together. They'll make nearly as much money and you can spread the wealth.

Good shops are few and far between and deserve your support.

Dave

Jason E
06-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah, you gotta ride what you want. If the same conversation was that they carried Cannondale, but you loved Specialized, buy the Specialized. Continue to go to them for service and everything, but you should ride what you want.

The only people that do not always ride what they want is either someone that is sponsored, or sometimes shop employees, because they get a good deal and the owners do not like to see them on stuff they do not carry.

Everyone else should ride guilt free.

Spectrum Bob
06-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Gee wiz – in the time it took to write my post some one else beat me to the punch

SoCalSteve
06-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Maybe a compromise...

Since Tom K sells frames and forks and not components, why not buy the frame and fork from him and the components from your LBS. And, you can have your LBS build the bike as well. That way, you can throw more business there way.

Its a win-win situation.

Good luck!

Steve

PS: Whether you buy a Seven, TK or a Serotta at that level they are all great bikes. If you have a chance to be fitted by "the man" then that should clinch the decision. I live 3k miles away, so it wouldnt be convenient.

Ginger
06-06-2006, 05:32 PM
(c) Since they're genuine admirers of fine bikes, they'll appreciate the appeal of a Spectrum even if they didn't sell it to me

My favorite shop sells Serottas. I bought a Kirk. They gave me some ****, but they love the bike because that's who they are.

I did buy the build kit from them and had them build it.

So it all worked out. While I do most of my own wrenching now, they still talk to me, I still buy stuff from them and take them treats from time to time. We still BS, and I'm still allowed in the work room.
:)

Sandy
06-06-2006, 05:40 PM
If Tom's bikes turn your cranks (so to speak) buy one and get the kit from your shop and have them put it together. They'll make nearly as much money and you can spread the wealth.

Good shops are few and far between and deserve your support.

Dave

Precisely what Dave K. just said. Buy the Spectrum. Let the shop build the bike. You will be happy and your shop will be happy. If you buy the Seven, your shop will be happy, but you will always wonder if you made the correct choice.

Go with your heart. Cycling is a passion. Satisfy it with the bike that you want.

:banana: So Satisfied So Serotta Sandy :banana:

Ken Robb
06-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Someone has to ask: Why not get a Serotta?

Ray
06-06-2006, 07:07 PM
If a Serotta tripped his trigger, as it were, I'm sure he'd have gotten the same response, but even more overwhelmingly given the locale. For whatever reason, he liked what he saw of Spectrums, and he's got the passion. I've had that for a few different bikes over the years and there'd have been no talking me out of them.

-Ray

Bill Bove
06-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Serotta content requirement fulfilled :banana:

An LBSer's point of view.
We like bikes.
We like our customers.
We like our customers to like their bikes.
If we can't get them the bike of their dreams we will help them get it from someone else. We had a guy just recently buy an IF from a shop an hour away, that was the bike that spoke to him. We were more than happy to do the build up and sell him the parts he needed. We made less on this particuler sale than if we had sold him a Merlin, but he will be a customer for a long time and make up for that small difference many times over.

Buy the Kellog, if you don't you'll regret it every time you throw your leg over whatever else you get.

Moosedryvr
06-06-2006, 08:04 PM
JohnnyCL,
Don't know if we are talking about the same bike shop (Bike Doctor Waldorf) or not, but I had a very similar experience with that shop, also a Seven dealer. I love the service Chris & Co. provide and try very hard to give as much business as possible to his shop (I've referred two customers who have dropped multiple thousands on new bikes his way). However, when it came to my new bike purchase I had my heart set on buying something from Steve and Andy Hampsten. Long story short, I puchased my frame from the Hampstens, then purchased everything else (fork, headset, DA gruppo, etc.) through Chris and had him build it up for me. As expected he couldn't have been cooler about it (he was genuinely excited to see my new frame and even stayed at the shop until 10:30pm (closing time 8:00pm) to get it built up when the frame arrived). Did I pay a premium by ordering the parts from him vs. buying on e-bay? You bet. Was/is it worth it? You bet. Like you, I wish I had a dime for every time he's tweaked a wheel or bike component and when I ask how much he says "don't worry about it." It's why I always try to pick up something everytime I swing by, even if its just an energy bar or a tube. As the previously mentioned thread shows, I'm/we're lucky to have an LBS we can trust close by.

JonnyComeLately
06-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks very much to several people for the helpful suggestion! I'll do just that.

As for the Serotta question, it's basically like Ray indicated. They're outstanding bikes, but just never really did it for me. (Hope this doesn't get me kicked off the board... :o)

JonnyComeLately
06-06-2006, 08:17 PM
JohnnyCL,
Don't know if we are talking about the same bike shop (Bike Doctor Waldorf) or not, but I had a very similar experience with that shop, also a Seven dealer. I love the service Chris & Co. provide and try very hard to give as much business as possible to his shop (I've referred two customers who have dropped multiple thousands on new bikes his way). However, when it came to my new bike purchase I had my heart set on buying something from Steve and Andy Hampsten. Long story short, I puchased my frame from the Hampstens, then purchased everything else (fork, headset, DA gruppo, etc.) through Chris and had him build it up for me. As expected he couldn't have been cooler about it (he was genuinely excited to see my new frame and even stayed at the shop until 10:30pm (closing time 8:00pm) to get it built up when the frame arrived). Did I pay a premium by ordering the parts from him vs. buying on e-bay? You bet. Was/is it worth it? You bet. Like you, I wish I had a dime for every time he's tweaked a wheel or bike component and when I ask how much he says "don't worry about it." It's why I always try to pick up something everytime I swing by, even if its just an energy bar or a tube. As the previously mentioned thread shows, I'm/we're lucky to have an LBS we can trust close by.

They sound great. Actually, though, the one I was talking about was The Bicycle Place in Silver Spring. (Shameless plug here: http://www.bicycleplace.com/)

Come to think of it, wasn't the Bike Doctor a sponsor of the Charles County Heritage Metric Century a couple weeks ago? I came down for that ride and really enjoyed it. I think I remember seeing their van at the start. I'll definitely drop by and see them the next time I'm there. There's a lot of beautiful countryside in that area...

Fixed
06-06-2006, 08:20 PM
bro t.k. or seven ....t.k...t.k...t.k...t.k...t.k. i.m.h.o.
cheers

yeehawfactor
06-06-2006, 08:27 PM
i see no problem with ordering everything that's not the frame from them. they should understand that a kellog is what lubes your chain, aiw