PDA

View Full Version : Upon3 is a Rock Star -- Character problem solved

Keith A
02-10-2016, 05:00 PM
A huge thanks to Upon3 for solving the special character problems with our forum. Let me know if anyone still has any problems with special characters, but I think this is working now.

purpurite
02-10-2016, 05:03 PM
!@#$%^&*°·‡flfi›‹€⁄`—±≠+<>æ

w00t!

Glad I could help. vB3.8 can sometimes act a little wonky for no good reason.

mwynne
02-10-2016, 05:08 PM
I did notice today (but not earlier), that the description of the Production Bikes subforum is displaying a bit funky (below)

"Any bike with �stock� sizing and paint"

purpurite
02-10-2016, 06:01 PM
I did notice today (but not earlier), that the description of the Production Bikes subforum is displaying a bit funky (below)

"Any bike with �stock� sizing and paint"

That may be a matter of one of the Admins re-typing the forum description with proper quotes around the word, now that the extra characters are working.

Keith A
02-10-2016, 07:51 PM
That may be a matter of one of the Admins re-typing the forum description with proper quotes around the word, now that the extra characters are working.You are correct again, and I have updated this description.

Tony T
02-10-2016, 08:01 PM
So no more edits when posting the temp in °
:hello:

pbarry
02-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Nice work! Notice the change since you mentioned it. :beer:

dustyrider
02-11-2016, 06:35 AM
Strong work!

fiamme red
02-11-2016, 08:10 AM
It works great now. Thanks! :hello:

No funny characters when I cut and paste this:

Marcel Kittel déjà au rendez-vous de la victoire, à Dubaï, une surprise ?

"Pas vraiment, parce que ses qualités intrinsèques ne pouvaient avoir disparu et en intégrant l’équipe Etixx-Quick Step, il est aspiré par une dynamique du succès dont l’Allemand avait besoin pour retrouver la confiance. C’est très agréable de le voir revenir au top niveau, pour bientôt affronter à haute vitesse les Greipel, Cavendish, Viviani, Ewan pourquoi pas… et Kristoff, qui devrait être un des grands bonshommes de la saison."

fuzzalow
02-11-2016, 08:17 AM
vB3.8 can sometimes act a little wonky for no good reason.

For the computer illiterate but technically curious, can you describe the nature of the problem and what was the solution? The fault entirely centric to the vB software package is alluded to here. Inquiring minds want to know.

Keith A
02-11-2016, 08:32 AM
fuzzalow -- When I upgraded our server this summer, the new Linux OS was using a different character. I thought it was an issue with the database incompatibility based on some research I did, and worked for quite a while with our hosting company to solve this problem. It turns out that there is setting in the administration for vBulletin which controls this character set, and all I had to do was use the correct one...which is what Upon3 figured out.

fuzzalow
02-11-2016, 08:36 AM
So it was character set translations in some guise!

Thanks Keith for the update on the fix, doing the fix itself and for keeping the electrons flowing in this place. And also to Upon3 for the vB expertise.

Keith A
02-11-2016, 08:39 AM
So it was character set translations in some guise!
Correct.

Lewis Moon
02-11-2016, 08:42 AM
When you said he solved "Special Character Problems" I thought I might have been banned. Well, that's a load off.

djg21
02-11-2016, 08:47 AM
When you said he solved "Special Character Problems" I thought I might have been banned. Well, that's a load off.

My first reaction also was that there are a lot of characters on this forum with problems.:beer:

fuzzalow
02-11-2016, 08:53 AM
"Just because you are a character doesn't mean you have character." - Winston Wolf

Tony T
02-11-2016, 08:57 AM
Somewhat OT, but could the edit window be expanded. By that I mean the window where it's noted that an edit was made (not the ability to edit).

Seems like the window is about 2 minutes now.

This:

CampyorBust
02-12-2016, 02:25 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :hello:

Tony T
02-14-2016, 08:19 AM
Seeing a lot of � in the "Paceline User Agreement" post

Keith A
02-14-2016, 08:24 AM
Seeing a lot of � in the "Paceline User Agreement" postThanks for the info. I'll take care of this.