PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Boston.

KidWok
02-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Coming to Boston for a few days before St. Patrick's Day. Will have some time to kill. Any suggestions for fun things to do? Cool LBS? No bike with me...does someone have a spare with 58-ish TT that would be willing to take me out for a ride? Staying at the Fairmont downtown.

Tai

Ti Designs
02-10-2016, 05:27 PM
There are lots of forum members in the Boston area, but very few forum rides. What's wrong with this picture?

Tickdoc
02-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Is there nothing rentable in the Boston area?

Cool beans town, will be fun even if you don't ride.

sandyrs
02-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Coming to Boston for a few days before St. Patrick's Day. Will have some time to kill. Any suggestions for fun things to do? Cool LBS? No bike with me...does someone have a spare with 58-ish TT that would be willing to take me out for a ride? Staying at the Fairmont downtown.

Tai

I'm a big dude but my bikes might work for you, what saddle height do you ride? You would just need to take the T over the river.

Happy to get in on a group ride in any case.

EPIC! Stratton
02-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Sadly I'm a bit small to loan out a bike (53). Would definitely be down for a ride however assuming the weather cooperates. What kinda shops are you in to? Superb is the local fixie shop. Somervelo it's a good local shop in Somerville Landry's is the big local chain, and they just recently won best shop in the US iirc. Overall there are a lot of good local shops however, depending on what you're looking for. Feel free to send me a message if there's any other information you'd like about Boston.

sandyrs
02-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Sadly I'm a bit small to loan out a bike (53). Would definitely be down for a ride however assuming the weather cooperates. What kinda shops are you in to? Superb is the local fixie shop. Somervelo it's a good local shop in Somerville Landry's is the big local chain, and they just recently won best shop in the US iirc. Overall there are a lot of good local shops however, depending on what you're looking for. Feel free to send me a message if there's any other information you'd like about Boston.

Ride studio cafe (high end coffee shop plus Seven showroom plus nice clothes plus tasty snacks and great staff) is another highlight, I know any ride I did for a visitor would stop there.

EPIC! Stratton
02-10-2016, 07:44 PM
Ride studio cafe (high end coffee shop plus Seven showroom plus nice clothes plus tasty snacks and great staff) is another highlight, I know any ride I did for a visitor would stop there.

Agreed. Definitely a good spot. Apex Velo also nice if you head west and end up crossing 9. That said you couldn't pay me enough to ride on 9.

Tony T
02-10-2016, 08:12 PM
Visit the guys at Firefly!

pbarry
02-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Someone take the Kid for a ride to Concord if the weather is decent. Stop at a few historic plaques along the way. :)

adrien
02-10-2016, 08:15 PM
You could always buy a Geekhouse or a Firefly while there...

sandyrs
02-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Someone take the Kid for a ride to Concord if the weather is decent. Stop at a few historic plaques along the way. :)

Haha, if you stopped at all of them, though, the ride would take nine hours.

eBAUMANN
02-10-2016, 08:50 PM
I probably have a bike I could loan ya, well, I definitely do, just a matter of how much liability you want to take on in such a loan ;)

Would be happy to take you out for a ride also, though I live about 5mi south (red line to ashmont) from where you are staying.

As far as "cool shops to visit" well, not much really, pretty service/sales oriented in the city, not many little hole-in-the-wall museum-style shops with any history unfortunately. Somervelo in Somerville is about as close as you'll get. Beyond that, Ride Studio is a great place to visit on your way in/out of the city on a ride. Great coffee and plenty of eye candy.

rounder
02-10-2016, 09:09 PM
I have been to Boston numerous times but went there last time as a tourist. Saw Boston Commons including the Cheers bar, Fenway green monster, Harvard Square just to walk around, Harvard (if they let you in), Patriot trail, Big Dig. That was my best visit.

CMiller
02-11-2016, 03:30 AM
When I visited I made sure to stop by Harris Cyclery. I learned so much from Sheldon Brown I felt like I had to pay my respects!

sweet_johnny
02-11-2016, 08:11 AM
I'm located in Jamaica Plain walking distance from the Green St. stop on the Orange line. I'd be happy to meet up for a beer and/or a ride.

You could check out Bikes, Not Bombs. It's not a huge shop, but it's cool. It's also a short walk from the Sam Adams brewery.

Zanconato Custom Cycles is about an hour outside of the city if you have a car and wanted to meet Mike and see where his magic happens. If you do get out there and are able to get a bike, the riding is really good.

45K10
02-11-2016, 08:14 AM
I am down for a ride for sure, just moved here so the only routes I know are on the North Shore.

sandyrs
02-11-2016, 08:24 AM
I am down for a ride for sure, just moved here so the only routes I know are on the North Shore.

And as far as I know, on the north shore there be dragons. Could be educational all around!

benb
02-11-2016, 08:53 AM

They're awesome and might be a source for a rental/demo bike, at least if you went on one of their rides.

Bradford
02-11-2016, 09:20 AM
As a native Bostonian and a lover of bikes, I'd say skip the bike part. Going to Boston to ride and visit bike shops is like going to Florence for the gelato; sure it's good, but there are better things to do.

Go the Gardner Museum and see Titians and Sargents
Go to the Union Oyster House and have some Chowder
Go to Mike's and get a cannoli
While you are in the neighborhood, look for Anthony running home for Prince Spaghetti night
Find Fanueil Hall and stand where they invented America
Visit the USS Constitution and lean on the rail of the oldest commissioned warship in the world
Climb to the top of the Bunker Hill Monument and look out over the land where our fathers died
Wander down the hill to the spot where Paul Revere stood and look across the water to the Old North Church...if you squint a little you can still see two lanterns in the window
Swing by the Old State House, see where the Lion and Unicorn still hang, and marvel at a national park with its own subway stop
Find a Dunkin Donuts and order a coffee in one of the only two ways it should ever be served, black or regular
Take the tour of Fenway so you understand the difference between a stadium and a ball park
Buy a newspaper at Out of Town News and read it at Charlies's Kitchen
While you are in the neighborhood, walk through Harvard Yard and maybe hit up the Fogg, were you can see a cool self portrait of Van Gogh
Walk like a Penguin at the Aquarium
Go to the BPL and wonder at its massiveness, then find the Anthenaeum and see how it all started
Wander around Beacon Hill looking for purple windows and boot scrapers
Visit Saint-Gaudens' memorial for Robert Gould Shaw and the 54th Massachusets Regiment and wonder at the fact that there was a time when Americans were willing to die to make men free

If you had years in Boston, you would still only see a fraction of it. I live in Colorado now, which is a natural wonder, an active person's wonderland, and a rider's paradise, but it is a cultural vacuum. Come here and I'll take you to Vecchio's and a ride up Left Hand Canyon. But if you go to Boston, soak in the history.

druptight
02-11-2016, 09:20 AM
I think Belmont Wheelworks is the best shop around with plenty of bicycle eye candy, if you can get out there. I find it hard to believe Landry's is the best shop in the US, it's overpriced and I never find the staff particularly helpful.

eBAUMANN
02-11-2016, 09:43 AM
I think Belmont Wheelworks is the best shop around with plenty of bicycle eye candy, if you can get out there. I find it hard to believe Landry's is the best shop in the US, it's overpriced and I never find the staff particularly helpful.

Who the hell said landrys is the best shop in the US? Can I get some of whatever they are smoking?

Belmont is an infinitely more interesting shop, for sure, but still, nothing I would necessarily call a "must see."

I (respectfully) say skip Mikes (and the crowds) and head to Bova's on Prince street instead ;)

When I visited I made sure to stop by Harris Cyclery. I learned so much from Sheldon Brown I felt like I had to pay my respects!

Best part of visiting Harris: Blue Ribbon BBQ a block away. :banana:

benb
02-11-2016, 10:38 AM
Heh.. if you want to do history AND go for a ride you can go do Paul Revere's ride on the battle road and/or ride around Lexington/Concord, etc...

druptight
02-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Who the hell said landrys is the best shop in the US? Can I get some of whatever they are smoking?

Belmont is an infinitely more interesting shop, for sure, but still, nothing I would necessarily call a "must see."

I (respectfully) say skip Mikes (and the crowds) and head to Bova's on Prince street instead ;)

Someone further up the thread said it. I refuse to enter Landrys.

I always go Modern Pastry.

Bradford
02-11-2016, 12:13 PM

I kept giving Modern the benefit of the doubt and additional visits, but I never enjoyed the experience. The first cannoli I had was at Mikes, and their cookies taste just like my grandmother's did, so Mikes is good enough for me.

45K10
02-11-2016, 12:17 PM
As a native Bostonian and a lover of bikes, I'd say skip the bike part. Going to Boston to ride and visit bike shops is like going to Florence for the gelato; sure it's good, but there are better things to do.

While you are in the neighborhood, look for Anthony running home for Prince Spaghetti night
Visit the USS Constitution and lean on the rail of the oldest commissioned warship in the world
Climb to the top of the Bunker Hill Monument and look out over the land where our fathers died
Wander down the hill to the spot where Paul Revere stood and look across the water to the Old North Church...if you squint a little you can still see two lanterns in the window
Swing by the Old State House, see where the Lion and Unicorn still hang, and marvel at a national park with its own subway stop
Find a Dunkin Donuts and order a coffee in one of the only two ways it should ever be served, black or regular
Take the tour of Fenway so you understand the difference between a stadium and a ball park
While you are in the neighborhood, walk through Harvard Yard and maybe hit up the Fogg, were you can see a cool self portrait of Van Gogh
Go to the BPL and wonder at its massiveness, then find the Anthenaeum and see how it all started
Visit Saint-Gaudens' memorial for Robert Gould Shaw and the 54th Massachusets Regiment and wonder at the fact that there was a time when Americans were willing to die to make men free

If you had years in Boston, you would still only see a fraction of it. I live in Colorado now, which is a natural wonder, an active person's wonderland, and a rider's paradise, but it is a cultural vacuum. Come here and I'll take you to Vecchio's and a ride up Left Hand Canyon. But if you go to Boston, soak in the history.

This is good stuff!
I have done the USS Constitution and Bunker Hill, very cool, I have to get to the others on the list.

EPIC! Stratton
02-11-2016, 12:23 PM
And as far as I know, on the north shore there be dragons. Could be educational all around!

Everything out past 495 is barbarians and dragons. Granted I live out that way so that includes me.

sandyrs
02-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Everything out past 495 is barbarians and dragons. Granted I live out that way so that includes me.

I love rides to Harvard and did a really long ride a while back that looped up through NH via Ayer, Ashby, etc. Great riding out that way. Certainly better than anything you can reach on a two-hour ride starting from Boston or its immediately adjacent neighbors.

vav
02-11-2016, 12:38 PM

Good stuff here. :)

Gardner Museum is my fav in the Boston area. Boston Public Library a must too.

I work a couple of blocks away from the Bunker Hill monument so yeah, come by

I second Ebaumann regarding skipping Mike's Pastry.

Caffe Vittoria right next to it. No lines (usually) and better cannoli (imho)

And you can definitely borrow this bike (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=175518&highlight=trek) from me to go around should you want to ride and sightsee

Regardless of what you end up doing, Boston is a great city and pretty sure it won't disappoint.

eBAUMANN
02-11-2016, 12:40 PM
I love rides to Harvard and did a really long ride a while back that looped up through NH via Ayer, Ashby, etc. Great riding out that way. Certainly better than anything you can reach on a two-hour ride starting from Boston or its immediately adjacent neighbors.

The riding doesnt get good until you are past 95, and it gets better past 495. basically, the further away from boston you get, the better the riding ;)

sandyrs
02-11-2016, 12:42 PM
The riding doesnt get good until you are past 95, and it gets better past 495. basically, the further away from boston you get, the better the riding ;)

Unless you reach... *dun dun dun*... LAWRENCE

eippo1
02-11-2016, 12:51 PM

And grab a slice at Ernestos. And you will only need one slice. Also to add to what some others have said, go see some things, but do it on foot. Boston is quite walkable and you might find stuff that you would have missed otherwise going from destination to destination. Like the Otis house http://www.historicnewengland.org/historic-properties/homes/otis-house
or the Public Garden. A nice walk would be to have a drink at the Liberty Hotel (a converted jail) then walk down Charles St (and maybe detour to King's chapel and the cemetery) through the Common and the Garden on down to Copley Square and maybe stop by the Globe for a beverage after seeing the BPA and maybe checking out the Trinity (see if you can get in the basement to see the piles) and then head on down to Fenway.

eBAUMANN
02-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Whoa. Otis house. So cool.
Ive been here 10 years and never noticed it...

Unless you reach... *dun dun dun*... LAWRENCE

Ha. Larryville. Yea, I never head north. Always west or northwest.
But now that I am decidedly south of the city, I will be exploring new southwesterly roads!
Once the temperature hits something reasonable again, that is.

druptight
02-11-2016, 01:21 PM
And grab a slice at Ernestos.

Never been to Ernestos, but if you're nearby at lunch Galleria Umberto only sells at lunch each day and closes when they run out of pizza. They also make Arancini that are to die for.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/galleria-umberto-boston?hrid=_4m5rBbRBJuaDCi1fJZR5Q&rh_type=menu&rh_ident=arancini

KidWok
02-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Very very cool stuff! Love the suggestions. I'll reach out to those available to ride once I nail down my schedule. My friend has a conference Thursday-Friday and we're there until Sunday night. I'd be hoping to ride on the days she's in the conference and then doing all the fun stuff Saturday. I think we're hitting the parade om Sunday...I hear that is a "$#!+show".

Tai

sandyrs
02-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Very very cool stuff! Love the suggestions. I'll reach out to those available to ride once I nail down my schedule. My friend has a conference Thursday-Friday and we're there until Sunday night. I'd be hoping to ride on the days she's in the conference and then doing all the fun stuff Saturday. I think we're hitting the parade om Sunday...I hear that is a "$#!+show".

Tai

You want a real ····show, head west to the Holyoke parade on the 19th :D

sparky33
02-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Visit the guys at Firefly!

1+
though you might end up ordering a bike.

KidWok
02-11-2016, 04:07 PM
1+
though you might end up ordering a bike.

The Seven Alaris I picked up here on the forum has me pretty well covered for a nice bike from Boston, so I won't be ordering anything on this trip.

Now...if it were a trip to Bozeman, I'd be singing a different tune. :banana:

Tai

Climb01742
02-11-2016, 04:41 PM
I love rides to Harvard

+1

My favorite destination. The scenery gets great and the cars really thin out.

It's going to get really cold here in the next few days. Rethinking a ride might be advised.

OtayBW
02-11-2016, 04:55 PM
I always go Modern Pastry.Ding! Ding! Ding!

OtayBW
02-11-2016, 04:56 PM

If you had years in Boston, you would still only see a fraction of it. I live in Colorado now, which is a natural wonder, an active person's wonderland, and a rider's paradise, but it is a cultural vacuum. Come here and I'll take you to Vecchio's and a ride up Left Hand Canyon. But if you go to Boston, soak in the history.Great Post!

bikingshearer
02-11-2016, 06:26 PM
As a native Bostonian . . . Go to the Union Oyster House and have some Chowder

How can yo be a native Bostonian and not call it chow-duh? :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, as a non-native who lived in the area for a few years, I'd say go with Bradford's list, especially if you will be there between now and St. Paddy's Day. Boston can be a fun town, but cycling in slush and leftover road salt is not my idea of a good time.

One sight you should be glad to miss - the old Boston Garden. Yeah, the parquet floor and all the banners were cool, but the place was a dump. It was a dump in the Truman Administration, and it did not get better with age. Two things stood out to me.

1) Comically bad sight lines. When the ticket said "Obstructed View," they weren't kidding. I saw seats under stairwells and seats with steel pillars placed in front of them so that it was physically impossible for anyone other than a double amputee top sit there, and that is not an exaggeration. These were the the most egregious, but far from the only, examples of creative seating and dreadful sight lines. I'm sure the natives can back me up on this.

2) A certain aroma most prevalent in, but not limited to, the stairwells, giving one the firm impression that the stains in the stairwells were urine stains that were older than I was.

fuzzalow
02-11-2016, 06:56 PM

I am not going to Boston. But I hadda chime in anyway. Because this is a well thought out reply and of the kind of high quality of posting that adds to the quality of this place.

Reading this makes me wish I were going to Boston, even though I know the town but mostly lately for the concrete bunker you call your World Trade Center. Lotta history in your town for what must surely be one of the miracles of modern civilization and an enlightenment in the governance of an emerging nation of free men. Truly a miracle. Divine grace received in the cultural influence and military aid from the French.

54ny77
02-11-2016, 07:06 PM
Superb!

I'll add: if a clear day, go to the observatory at the top of the Hancock tower. Gorgeous forever views.

And the Paul Revere House is a fascinating sliver of history.

Ti Designs
02-12-2016, 09:04 AM

So you're saying that Modern Pastry is the best bike shop? Yeh, I'll go with that...

Here are my two thoughts (yes, I only have two - why do I bother wearing a helmet???)

1) If you want to see a bike shop, let's do the tour at Wheelworks. I'm not talking about just walking around the sales floor, that's a sanitized version they want you to see. You really want to see what's beyond the door that says "staff only". Wheelworks is in a building that was lots of different stores over the years, an A&P supermarket, a bank (there's still a walk in vault) a bowling alley... The stock rooms are a maze of basements full of inventory. Just seeing it will give you a new understanding of what it means to sell 20 different helmets in 5 sizes and two colors. And then there's Peter Mooney's frame building shop.

2) Let's ride. If time is an issue, I'm going to go along with the suggestion of starting away from Boston. Perhaps Concord - they have a very nice visitor center, and on the way out we can pass by Climb's house (I always yell "James, get on your bike", maybe if a group did that...) Or Bedford, Leftyfreak knows the area like nobody else, you could drive out, us locals could just take the bike path to the start.

3) (didn't I say I only had two ideas?) can I talk anyone into breakfast after the ride? I got myself a whole bunch of cast iron skillets and I've been practicing making all types of eggs, but I can only eat about a dozen a day. Please help!

guido
02-12-2016, 09:16 AM
snip...
And then there's Peter Mooney's frame building shop.
snip...

I'm a local and I'd pay for a tour of Peter Mooney's shop...

eBAUMANN
02-12-2016, 09:32 AM

Same. If this happens I want in. :beer:

merlinmurph
02-12-2016, 10:58 AM

I live right on I-495 and 99% of my miles are outside I-495. I'm probably spoiled, but inside the loop just gets too busy, and I'm sticking to the quiet roads. Lots of people head to Concord which I find is a ���� show. Yup, spoiled. Heading up thru Northboro, Berlin, Bolton, Harvard, Littleton is awesome

AngryScientist
02-12-2016, 10:59 AM
when is this happening?

saf-t
02-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Same. If this happens I want in. :beer:

Me three. My former riding partner has one of his bikes, and it's just beautiful.

Climb01742
02-12-2016, 01:11 PM
Perhaps Concord - they have a very nice visitor center, and on the way out we can pass by Climb's house (I always yell "James, get on your bike", maybe if a group did that...)

That's you, Ed? Thought it was the voices in my head.

PS: Peter's workshop is small, packed and very cool.

CampyorBust
02-12-2016, 02:43 PM

Holly smokes, I got a tour years ago, I feel special now. If I was a frame builder I would have liked it even more, I like Peter. That said I have not set foot in Belmont Wheel Works for over a year. I got a bad taste in my mouth after my conversation with Clint Paige regarding charging people for warranty services rendered without notifying them first and assembling a wheel back together with the wrong sized axel.:crap:

Landrys has treated me right many a times, they also mucked up the threads on my one of a kind Merckx fork, and then remedied it, sorta. I have a fair few negative bike shop stories in my memory banks to say the least. I held on to the whole I won’t set foot into that bike shop attitude for many years, however bike shops are businesses and people are people, good ones and bad ones all over the place. It’s a gamble really. Another place that has many haterz always treated me right so go figure. I rarely buy bike parts nowadays and when I do I usually look for the best possible deal, usually too good a deal for any bike shop to be able to provide, that is usually not good recipe for a good relationship with any shop, they want the big spenders who dont ask questions. Hey lets be honest pice savvy deal hunters are not exactly LBS folks now are they?

I went way off topic, Bradford’s advice is right on the money. Hey pahk yo cah in Hahvahd Yahd and see what happens, good times!

KidWok
02-12-2016, 05:33 PM
I'll be in town March 17-20. Pretty sure the best day to ride for me would be Friday as that is the day my friend will be in a conference and I can do whatever. Of course...it's all weather dependent anyway. Either way, I'd love to at least get drinks with the Boston area Paceline crowd. I'm meeting up with my friend next Tuesday to plan activities and will reach out again once I have a better grasp of my availability.

Tai

Tyler Evans
02-12-2016, 05:47 PM
I think we're hitting the parade on Sunday...I hear that is a "$#!+show".

Ohai!

We are 2 blocks from the parade route. You should totally pop in to the factory. We would love to show you around.

The parade is indeed a $#!+show.

moose8
02-13-2016, 07:54 AM
A drink at the top of the hub in the prudential tower is always fun and gives a good perspective on the city layout.

Ti Designs
02-13-2016, 08:02 AM

Don't let Peter know that...

This is something that's been bothering me for a long time. There's this large bike shop that isn't unknown, yet there's little interaction between the shop and cyclists interested in finding out about it. Peter would love to sell more frames, but he's waiting for someone to walk into the shop and order one - it's not happening. We clearly need to do something, 'cause Peter is a true craftsman, on a level with Richard Sachs, but he would start building your new frame next week. Giving people a look at what goes on beyond the sales floor is also a good way to bring people back to the LBS. People just don't get how much inventory it takes to be able to have the part you want, when you ask for it. Seeing that may not make you want to pay the higher price, but there's something else to offer. Shops have "stale" inventory - the stuff that didn't sell. Big shops have a lot of it. In some cases it's crap you (or anyone else) don't want. In some cases it's stuff you do, but you can't get any more - and you get to haggle on price. We want it gone as much as you want it.

I'm going to bring this idea up with the owners. If they agree I'll post the idea of a small group tour of the whole shop in a few places. If Peter wants to give a tour of his frame building shop, we can do that too.

guido
02-13-2016, 10:15 AM
Thanks Ed!

leftyfreak
02-13-2016, 11:12 AM
I'll be in town March 17-20. Pretty sure the best day to ride for me would be Friday as that is the day my friend will be in a conference and I can do whatever. Of course...it's all weather dependent anyway. Either way, I'd love to at least get drinks with the Boston area Paceline crowd. I'm meeting up with my friend next Tuesday to plan activities and will reach out again once I have a better grasp of my availability.

Tai

Arriving late to the party here, but Ti Designs invoked my name, so I figured I should respond...

Riding would be good, but I'm pretty sure Ti has less flexibility on Fridays than Thursdays. But as Ti said, location could be an issue. It's not so convenient to get from downtown out to Lexington/Bedford/Concord if you don't have a car. It can be done, but it's not exactly simple or quick, although when you're out here you can visit some special revolutionary war landmarks. However, there is a shop around the corner from my house (in Bedford) that has bike rentals, if I'm not able to find a 58 TT bike for you. What's your saddle height?

As others, like Bradford, have said, there will be plenty for you to do even if you don't get to ride. I'll just add that walking around the city is the best way to do it. You can check out the Freedom Trail, or wander around some of the old neighborhoods. Head up to Beacon Hill, look at Louisburg Square and try to find Acorn St., the only remaining original cobblestone street in Boston. Check out the Public Garden, and salute General Washington on his horse--the Garden it beautiful all year round. Explore the South End. Visit Harvard Yard and Harvard Square, and meander down Mt. Auburn St. to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's house while reciting "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere." If you get a couple of days of good weather, early spring in Boston is just magical.

Keep us all updated as your plans develop. You're going to have a great visit!

dyerwolf
02-13-2016, 11:57 AM
Tai- love to grab a drink with you at very least. A group ride will be a fun idea. I'd even get you into one of my extra Oregon coast classic kits if you need some riding gear. Let's touch base!
My best,
Evan

Climb01742
02-13-2016, 12:00 PM

This is something that's been bothering me for a long time. There's this large bike shop that isn't unknown, yet there's little interaction between the shop and cyclists interested in finding out about it. Peter would love to sell more frames, but he's waiting for someone to walk into the shop and order one - it's not happening. We clearly need to do something, 'cause Peter is a true craftsman, on a level with Richard Sachs, but he would start building your new frame next week. Giving people a look at what goes on beyond the sales floor is also a good way to bring people back to the LBS. People just don't get how much inventory it takes to be able to have the part you want, when you ask for it. Seeing that may not make you want to pay the higher price, but there's something else to offer. Shops have "stale" inventory - the stuff that didn't sell. Big shops have a lot of it. In some cases it's crap you (or anyone else) don't want. In some cases it's stuff you do, but you can't get any more - and you get to haggle on price. We want it gone as much as you want it.

I'm going to bring this idea up with the owners. If they agree I'll post the idea of a small group tour of the whole shop in a few places. If Peter wants to give a tour of his frame building shop, we can do that too.

To this I'd like to add...Peter has a sort of classic New Englander exterior, perhaps a tad gruff at first...but under that exterior is a super nice guy, who is always willing to help and share his enormous wealth of knowledge and experience. Every time I've chatted with him I've learned something. He's a great guy.

pbarry
02-13-2016, 12:07 PM

Is these any line of sight between the retail space and PM's shop? Or a window? PM signage, interior or exterior? Been 25 years since I visited..

eBAUMANN
02-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Is these any line of sight between the retail space and PM's shop? Or a window? PM signage, interior or exterior? Been 25 years since I visited..

Im pretty sure his work space is tucked away somewheres, Ive only been in wheel works a few times but never noticed anything that would have tipped me off to the existence of a world class frame builder on the premises.

Climb01742
02-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Peter's workshop is down an unmarked hallway you basically enter by going between fixtures of clothing. Kinda like finding the train to Hogwarts in Harry Potter.:D:beer: Once you scratch the surface of WW there's some good stuff beneath.

What I'd ask to see is...rumor has it that there are essentially catacombs under the store where all sorts of cool stuff is stashed away.

fuzzalow
02-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Peter's workshop is down an unmarked hallway you basically enter by going between fixtures of clothing. Kinda like finding the train to Hogwarts in Harry Potter.:D:beer: Once you scratch the surface of WW there's some good stuff beneath.

I was thinking something of the same imagery in stepping through a portal to get to a Peter's workshop as a place that exists as though out of the past.

Kinda like what Stephen King wrote about in "11/22/63" in goin' downstairs and in some basement corner finding a way to what once was...

If a visit to Peter's workshop could happen I'd rent a car and drive up.

54ny77
02-13-2016, 12:54 PM
Agreed on Mooney's stuff being unreal.

Craftsmanship defined.

Take a gander at his flick page sometime.

Ti Designs
02-14-2016, 08:47 AM
What I'd ask to see is...rumor has it that there are essentially catacombs under the store where all sorts of cool stuff is stashed away.

Yup. Wheelworks started in Winchester where Peter started building his frames. They then rented a space on Mass Ave which became Ace Wheelworks (named after Ace Bicycles that was in the space before). They bought the building in Belmont, but there were still other businesses. On one side there was an antique shop, a doughnut shop and a stairwell going down to what was a bowling alley. When I first started working there 30 years ago we still had the ball return machines back there. On the other side there was a taylor shop with antique sewing machines that were belt driven from a motor in the basement. The doughnut shop was so bad even the police wouldn't go there (Linda's hand cut doughnuts is less than a mile away, well worth the trip) and the antique shop was so jammed with old crap that you couldn't get in there if you tried. Wheelworks took over their storefronts and put some effort into making the expanded sales floor and windows look uniform. The same can't be said for the basement. Like I said, there were numerous other stores in the that building over the years, each leaving a part of it's history. No effort was put into making the basement stock storage areas, or the passageways between them look nice. Unused plumbing was cut and left hanging, and the doorways from one store basement to the next were made with a sledge hammer.

If it's not busy today (it's -10F out there, I don't see many test rides going out) I'll try to take a few pictures.

sparky33
02-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Agreed on Mooney's stuff being unreal.

Craftsmanship defined.

Take a gander at his flick page sometime.

Seeing one of Peter's bikes out and about is a treat. I kind of scratch my head wondering why there aren't more of them out there. His work is beautiful and classic.

Ti Designs
02-14-2016, 10:07 PM
A few images from the shop...

Grumbs
02-14-2016, 11:54 PM
Ti, that is so cool! I used to be around there a bit when I was a kid, and I remember the antique shop and the pharmacy. The bowling alley was before my time, I think. So neat to explore the guts of old buildings like this. Thanks for sharing pictures!

Ti Designs
02-15-2016, 03:55 PM
I can't really take any credit for this working out as it has, but it seems Peter will be hosting a talk about his frames on March 17th - damn good timing!

Details are here: http://wheelworks.com/about/the-science-of-cycling-series-pg581.htm

guido
02-15-2016, 04:13 PM
Thank you Ed!
I can't really take any credit for this working out as it has, but it seems Peter will be hosting a talk about his frames on March 17th - damn good timing!

Details are here: http://wheelworks.com/about/the-science-of-cycling-series-pg581.htm

KidWok
03-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Hey all!

Finally got my schedule sorted out.

Thursday 3/17: My friend and I get into town early in the morning in the red-eye. We're going to check in with our hotel and then just hang out for the day and get our bearings. May do the Sam Adams brewery tour that day. We'll figure something out for dinner and maybe pub crawl a bit: http://pubcrawls.com/events/saint-paddys/shamrock-stroll-saint-paddys-pub-crawl-boston.php

Friday 3/18: I plan on doing the Freedom trail in the morning while my friend is in her conference. Will be staying close to the Fairmont so that I can join her for lunch. I'm free to grab drinks in the afternoon. Maybe head to Firefly's shop in the afternoon if anyone wants to congregate there. My friend and I will be in the Cambridge/Harvard area for dinner and hanging out that night.

Saturday 3/19: My friend is in conference all day and I can meet up for a long ride. I'd be glad to bring my shoes, helmet, kit, and pedals if need be (I can use SPD SL or SPD if anyone already has them) to get out for a ride. Would love to meet as many Boston area Paceliners as possible! I want to be back at the hotel by about 4:30 pm. We will plan on eating dinner in Little Italy that night.

Sunday 3/20: We'll hit the parade and then fly out at 6pm.

Tai

shovelhd
03-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Little Italy

You mention Little Italy and they'll think you're from NYC and jump you in the alley. It's the North End.

KidWok
03-11-2016, 01:53 AM
Good to know! My friend was calling it that and now I know why I wasn't finding it when I googled Little Italy in Boston!

Tai

superbowlpats
03-11-2016, 06:46 AM
Sam Adams? I guess if you are interested in how you make beer. if you are interested in drinking the beer then check out Trillium

http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/trillium-brewing-fort-point-location

KidWok
03-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Sam Adams? I guess if you are interested in how you make beer. if you are interested in drinking the beer then check out Trillium

Nice! I'll have to check it out. Yeah...I'm actually a bit of a beer snob...haven't drank Sam Adams in years. I used to direct a ride sponsored by Rogue Ales and this is my client that I put into the space next to my office:
http://cloudburstbrew.com/

Tai

moose8
03-11-2016, 03:14 PM

Trillium is really good but you can't drink beer on the premises and there is no tour as far as I know - it's more of just a long line to buy beer. Sam Adams has one of the best tours around in terms of cost to beer ratio (I went last weekend and enjoyed it). I haven't been on Harpoon's tour since its been renovated, but their space is very nice, especially if you like beer halls.

sandyrs
03-11-2016, 03:31 PM

Night shift in Everett is also excellent and their facility is a full service bar with flights and full pours.

guido
03-18-2016, 07:44 AM

Peter gave a nice talk last night. Had a couple of sample frames/bikes, photo books with his builds from over the years. Beautiful work. While he didn't give shop tours he offered them by appointment. Unfortunately it was pretty sparsely attended. Nice to talk bikes on a thursday night with a snowstorm on the way...