PDA

View Full Version : 2016 fillet brazed DeRosa

oliver1850
02-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Surprised to see this in their current line. I'd guess it's custom though I didn't see it mentioned.

mwynne
02-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Whatever it is, it is gorgeous!

huck*this
02-08-2016, 03:57 PM
The beauty of De Rosa bikes never ceases to amaze me. True work of art and attention to detail.

54ny77
02-08-2016, 04:03 PM
ditto!

Whatever it is, it is gorgeous!

marciero
02-08-2016, 04:04 PM
so stainless? Or just left unpainted to show off the brazing?

zmudshark
02-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Anyone know who is building the steel bikes these days?

ultraman6970
02-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Derosa is saying... we know how to braze!

zmudshark
02-08-2016, 04:21 PM
so stainless? Or just left unpainted to show off the brazing?I couldn't find the tubing specs, but it is available clear coated over the bare steel, as well as painted. It's a De Rosa Âgé about 1650 Euro's, supposedly.

Black Dog
02-08-2016, 04:56 PM
They must have sent someone over to take some fillet brazing lessons from the Daves. (Kirk and Wages).

marciero
02-08-2016, 05:21 PM
As beautiful as it is, does not look right to my eyes to leave the joints unpainted. A little, I dont know-ostentatious? Is different with lugs, which by their nature must stick out. Part of the beauty of a nice brazed joint is how it disappears.

oliver1850
02-09-2016, 12:48 AM
It looks like they are stock sized, painted blue (with Athena) or matte black (with Chorus).

zmud: where did you find pricing?

zmudshark
02-09-2016, 07:41 AM
It looks like they are stock sized, painted blue (with Athena) or matte black (with Chorus).

zmud: where did you find pricing?I just Googled the name, came up with a few shops in the EU that advertised they would have them in 60 days. It is also available in custom paint, or clearcoat.

I'd still like to know who is doing the brazing on steel/ti De Rosa's these days.

crashnburn
02-09-2016, 08:15 AM
I just Googled the name, came up with a few shops in the EU that advertised they would have them in 60 days. It is also available in custom paint, or clearcoat.

I'd still like to know who is doing the brazing on steel/ti De Rosa's these days.

I'd be curious about the clearcoat.
I have asked around and read that having just the clearcoat is not advisable due to lack of protection.
Unless there is a new tech/special paint for it.
I have been wanting this on a steel frame.

jet sanchez
02-09-2016, 08:33 AM
I saw one of these in person the other day, it is a real head turner. The effect of the unpainted joints is really nice at the seat tube cluster.

Formulasaab
02-09-2016, 08:34 AM
If it is stainless tubing, then there's no clearcoat required. You'd just have to polish the brazing every once in a while.

I don't know what tubing they used though.

Casati built and showed a frame with this "naked" effect in 2014, because a customer asked for it. They still do a fair bit of custom orders it seems. It was stunning in the extreme.

I'm impressed with DeRosa's line of bikes as a whole. There's something there for almost all of my cycling personalities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

livingminimal
02-09-2016, 08:42 AM
A friend of mine has been talking to them about a custom size. Apparently the person doing the fabrication and brazing is in the DeRosa family. The prices were very reasonable as well (I think $2500 for full custom?), but it does look like they're going to try and go the route of being a "production" steel frame company.

Still, rad to see...

soulspinner
02-09-2016, 08:44 AM
As beautiful as it is, does not look right to my eyes to leave the joints unpainted. A little, I dont know-ostentatious? Is different with lugs, which by their nature must stick out. Part of the beauty of a nice brazed joint is how it disappears.

Ya, gotta agree with excellent paint the organic flow of a nice fillet is perfection.

druptight
02-09-2016, 08:46 AM
If it is stainless tubing, then there's no clearcoat required. You'd just have to polish the brazing every once in a while.

That picture sure makes it look like brass brazes, and you can't braze stainless with brass, AFAIK. It certainly looks stainless though, so maybe it's a silver based filler with a lower percentage silver that looks darker.

I'd be curious about the clearcoat.
I have asked around and read that having just the clearcoat is not advisable due to lack of protection.
Unless there is a new tech/special paint for it.

The new ceramic coatings are available in clear and supposed to be FAR better than the clear powdercoating options.

jemoryl
02-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Anyone know who is building the steel bikes these days?

http://www.bassobikes.com/en-UK/viper-viper.php

The fillet brazing on the DeRosa reminds me of my Basso Viper from the 2000's, but it looks like that model is now lugged. Over the years, Basso tends to use the same name on somewhat different bikes.....

druptight
02-09-2016, 08:57 AM
That picture sure makes it look like brass brazes, and you can't braze stainless with brass, AFAIK. It certainly looks stainless though, so maybe it's a silver based filler with a lower percentage silver that looks darker.

http://www.derosanews.com/english/DEROSA58_Acircgeacute_Luster.html

A special brass and silver based alloy allows brazing to be down at significantly lower temperatures that do not distort the welding area, ensuring an increased durability and performance over time

David Tollefson
02-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Fillet Pro?

Steve in SLO
02-09-2016, 09:54 AM
Perhaps Doriano is doing them on a contract basis?
He recently started his own brand of TIG welded steel frames, BIXXIS, so not sure if he may need something to fill his time and pockets.

druptight
02-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Fillet Pro?

Could be.... Never used it. I use their fluxes, but not their fillers. I think the Safety Silv 45 is decidedly yellower than the 56 due to the lower silver content.

velofinds
02-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Looks outstanding. More here:

http://ysroad.co.jp/shinjuku-custom/2016/01/29/1759

Yowza.

druptight
02-09-2016, 01:51 PM

Yowza.

Allow Google Translate to enlighten you:

Characteristic fillet part of Age by clear coating, that show dare

More has become more attractive.

Chrome plating, does not mean that high polish

Dare you Yes Suffice to the extent that the hairline remains.

This steel likeness is even more looks better.

It seems to be totally or breathing of craftsmen comes through.

jmoore
02-09-2016, 02:39 PM
That bike is just lovely. I'll take a 64cm please. Any color will be fine.

zmudshark
02-09-2016, 03:12 PM
That bike is just lovely. I'll take a 64cm please. Any color will be fine.Jason, total custom sizing is only a few bucks more, don't settle ;)

Hermes_Alex
02-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Looks like it's called the ツg? and is in their catalog here: http://www.derosanews.com/DeRosa_2016_Collection.pdf

Wonderful work!

edit: a scandium road frame?

zmudshark
02-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Looks like it's called the ?H? and is in their catalog here: http://www.derosanews.com/DeRosa_2016_Collection.pdf

Wonderful work!

edit: a scandium road frame?

Formatting is tough on that one. It's a De Rosa Âgé, with all sorts of symbols that don't copy well ;) , and it is steel. It sits between the Corum and Neo Classico in the lineup.

If I were 10 years younger and didn't have four steel De Rosa's (two locations), I'd be in.

gomango
02-09-2016, 05:57 PM
I'm watching this one.

If it's still in the line up next year I would consider it.

I could see one next summer when the college tuition bills ease for a couple of years.

Villgaxx
02-09-2016, 06:02 PM
that fork with that crown are off the frakkin' hook. i can't believe how amazing that frame with that fork is. i also can't believe they're makin' them.

Steve in SLO
02-09-2016, 06:53 PM
Threaded, flat crown fork, quill stem? :eek:

velofinds
02-09-2016, 09:52 PM
It's a De Rosa ツg? with all sorts of symbols that don't copy well ;) , and it is steel. It sits between the Corum and Neo Classico in the lineup.

Interesting. Pardon the dumb question, but what about the Age would place it beneath the Nuovo Classico in the De Rosa hierarchy?

Edit: you weren't kidding about the symbols.

zmudshark
02-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Interesting. Pardon the dumb question, but what about the Age would place it beneath the Nuovo Classico in the De Rosa hierarchy?

Edit: you weren't kidding about the symbols.Below Corum, above Nuovo Classico, price-wise.

oliver1850
02-10-2016, 02:08 PM
I'm watching this one.

If it's still in the line up next year I would consider it.

I could see one next summer when the college tuition bills ease for a couple of years.

Better yet buy one now and tell the boys they are paying you for it when they're employed.

oliver1850
02-10-2016, 02:17 PM

Edit: you weren't kidding about the symbols.

Interesting question. I'd guess the cost of the lugs and chroming offsets the extra labor involved in fillet brazing, or perhaps fillets don't actually require that much more labor.

mvrider
02-12-2016, 07:16 AM

Yowza.

How funny, I happened to visit 3 Y's Road stores in Tokyo today, though not the one in Shinjuku.

I'd like to offer one counterpoint to the lust over DeRosa finish work. I did see a Titanio at the Akasaka store, and though the welds looked great, the decals made the frame look really cheap. It's miles behind the standards set by Firefly and other Ti builders.

ultraman6970
02-12-2016, 07:22 AM
De rosa is not the same than years ago.

gomango
02-12-2016, 05:12 PM
Better yet buy one now and tell the boys they are paying you for it when they're employed.

Clear thinking sir! :)