PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try or have luck with these carbon hoops?

livingminimal
02-08-2016, 03:23 PM
http://www.nextie.net/

Thinking the 50mm tubulars for next cross season.
320 bucks shipped to me.
32H (not too common with carbon deep section)
130KG WL (important to us Clydesdales, luckily my complete package us under that (he said package))
2 year warranty....

Anyone try em?
Don't worry, all the other pieces would be furnished and built by my LBS...

ultraman6970
02-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Interesting to see weight limits, 130 kg for a 40 mm tubular rim looks like a lot.

ergott
02-08-2016, 04:49 PM
I bet that 130kg is the max tension and something got lost in translation.

All those rims have similar specs because only a couple companies actually produce them. The rest are just resellers.

livingminimal
02-08-2016, 05:04 PM

All those rims have similar specs because only a couple companies actually produce them. The rest are just resellers.

Maybe, there is a separate line in the item description that says the max tension is also 130kg, but that the rider weight limit is also 130kg.

But, would you trust them is the question?

I'd use them for racing and practicing cross. Little else.

christian
02-08-2016, 07:30 PM
I run light-bicycle clinchers on my MTB. Light-bicycle and Nextie are among the better rated sellers. I would not have any problem running the tubulars for cross. In fact, if I were racing cross, I would.

Gummee
02-08-2016, 07:56 PM
I've had the 50mm u-shaped clinchers before. Nice rims to build with.

IDK why you'd go 32/32 unless you're seriously heavy.

HTH

M

livingminimal
02-08-2016, 08:05 PM
I've had the 50mm u-shaped clinchers before. Nice rims to build with.

IDK why you'd go 32/32 unless you're seriously heavy.

HTH

M

I race at 250lbs.

Gummee
02-08-2016, 08:42 PM
I race at 250lbs.

Aaah

Haven't built anything for anyone that heavy.

G'luck!

M

nmrt
02-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Cannot say anything about the rims you're looking at. But I own a pair of 29er clincher/tubeless carbon rims from Nextie. They have been great for the past sixmonths that I've had them. My local wheelbuilder said that he had no problem lacing these rims to WI and DT 240 hubs. Everything was within spec and he had no trouble achieving the recommended pressures.

S

Michael Maddox
02-08-2016, 10:32 PM
They offer 36h rims, too. That'd be a weird build.

oldpotatoe
02-09-2016, 05:45 AM
They offer 36h rims, too. That'd be a weird build.

No disc hubs in 36h in spite of it being a good idea..:D

Formulasaab
02-09-2016, 06:56 AM
My LBS sells Nextie rims and does a good number of builds using them. He chose Nextie because their quality control seemed to be top notch in the chinacarbon field.

I just built up a set of wheels using their 23 wide/24 deep tubeless/clincher rims and the build went well enough. I can't directly compare it to other builds as I used a spoke and hubset that was new to me.

Actual rim weights were quite close to advertised spec, even slightly under. Each styrofoam bag had a little 3-digit number written on it, which turned out to be the rim weight in grams. This was a GOOD sign, as it shows that they check the weight of each piece against a predetermined spec to ensure that the resin impregnation was complete and went as planned.

ERD was NOT the same as advertised spec though, so wait to order your spokes until after you've had a chance to measure the actual ERD of the rims you have in your hands.

On the size I got, I was not able to tell which direction the spoke hole drilling was done by looking at the spoke holes themselves. I could tell by dropping a loose nipple in the hole and seeing how it "sat". However, a sticker is supplied on the rim to tell you which way to go, so this detective work was simply me insisting on double-checking that the sticker was correct. The spoke hole drilling direction may be more obvious on different depth rims. I mention this only so that you don't make the mistake of removing the sticker before lacing the wheel.

spartanKid
02-09-2016, 07:05 AM

Other rims have the same 130 kgf as the max tension with lower (e.g. 110 kg) max rider weight limits.

chiasticon
02-09-2016, 07:13 AM
these are new to me but they look pretty sweet! interested to hear how your build goes!

I would normally suggest the 38mm depth for cross as I believe 50 is overkill. but the 50mm has a higher weight limit so you're prolly right going that way. I would however suggest the 25mm width if that's not what you're looking at. the more glue the better and wider rims means less likelihood of the tire folding over. :hello:

livingminimal
02-09-2016, 07:27 AM
My LBS sells Nextie rims and does a good number of builds using them. He chose Nextie because their quality control seemed to be top notch in the chinacarbon field.

I just built up a set of wheels using their 23 wide/24 deep tubeless/clincher rims and the build went well enough. I can't directly compare it to other builds as I used a spoke and hubset that was new to me.

Actual rim weights were quite close to advertised spec, even slightly under. Each styrofoam bag had a little 3-digit number written on it, which turned out to be the rim weight in grams. This was a GOOD sign, as it shows that they check the weight of each piece against a predetermined spec to ensure that the resin impregnation was complete and went as planned.

ERD was NOT the same as advertised spec though, so wait to order your spokes until after you've had a chance to measure the actual ERD of the rims you have in your hands.

On the size I got, I was not able to tell which direction the spoke hole drilling was done by looking at the spoke holes themselves. I could tell by dropping a loose nipple in the hole and seeing how it "sat". However, a sticker is supplied on the rim to tell you which way to go, so this detective work was simply me insisting on double-checking that the sticker was correct. The spoke hole drilling direction may be more obvious on different depth rims. I mention this only so that you don't make the mistake of removing the sticker before lacing the wheel.

Thanks, this is actually really helpful. Appreciate it!

livingminimal
02-09-2016, 07:31 AM
these are new to me but they look pretty sweet! interested to hear how your build goes!

I would normally suggest the 38mm depth for cross as I believe 50 is overkill. but the 50mm has a higher weight limit so you're prolly right going that way. I would however suggest the 25mm width if that's not what you're looking at. the more glue the better and wider rims means less likelihood of the tire folding over. :hello:

Yup, was thinking 50mmx25mm....

I'd be giving up 50g per rim...thought about compensating for it by doing 28h/28h on the 50mm, thinking it would still be enough spokes for me but ehhhhh....I might want to play it safe....

chiasticon
02-09-2016, 08:20 AM
Yup, was thinking 50mmx25mm....

I'd be giving up 50g per rim...thought about compensating for it by doing 28h/28h on the 50mm, thinking it would still be enough spokes for me but ehhhhh....I might want to play it safe....right. I was just saying I don't give much credence to the super deep rims for cross idea. it's effectively been debunked by cxmag and you don't see any pros running anything that deep anymore, really. 35-40mm seems to be the sweet spot. so you won't need the depth for mud/sand clearance, but the 50mm rims should build into a stiffer (albeit heavier, as you said) wheel, which will be great for getting back on the gas out of corners, etc...

livingminimal
02-09-2016, 08:25 AM
right. I was just saying I don't give much credence to the super deep rims for cross idea. it's effectively been debunked by cxmag and you don't see any pros running anything that deep anymore, really. 35-40mm seems to be the sweet spot. so you won't need the depth for mud/sand clearance, but the 50mm rims should build into a stiffer (albeit heavier, as you said) wheel, which will be great for getting back on the gas out of corners, etc...

Oh, totally man. I hear you. I wish I could feel super confident on the 38mm for sure. They bring the max weight down 10kg though and it more or less makes it not possible for me, sadly....

carpediemracing
02-09-2016, 12:20 PM

Some good info. If an LBS uses it that's says volumes.

I have a pair of Stinger 6 (tubular) wheels with a spoke pulling through in the rear and a crack in the front. I was thinking of lacing on some carbon clinchers as I've since made these wheels redundant.

Bummer about ERD not being 100%, I was thinking of finding a rim that had the same ERD as the 60mm rims.

Formulasaab
02-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Just for reference, for the rim I used "[NXT24C05] 23mm Width 24mm Depth Carbon Road Bike Clincher Rim 700C Tubeless Compatible" they quote 593mm ERD.

I measured it at 597.3mm.

MaraudingWalrus
01-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Just for reference, for the rim I used "[NXT24C05] 23mm Width 24mm Depth Carbon Road Bike Clincher Rim 700C Tubeless Compatible" they quote 593mm ERD.

I measured it at 597.3mm.

That is drastically off in ERD.

I just got a set of rims to build for someone, and my measured ERD is within a mm of what they published.

Depending on how it goes I may do a larger buy of them to build more for some customers.

Dave B
01-04-2017, 12:28 PM
I sent you a pm. I hope that it helps a bit.

Dave

ultraman6970
01-04-2017, 01:22 PM
3 mm of difference IMO is a lot, what I would do is to measure the erd in at least 4 places then average it because doesnt look like is super even inside. Then add some sapim spoke washers just in case only.

Ride_A2
01-04-2017, 03:14 PM
My local bike shop also offers Nextie rims and wheelbuilds. Brad seemed to be very satisfied with them, but I don't know that they've done any testing for more than a year.

MaraudingWalrus
01-05-2017, 04:42 PM
My local bike shop also offers Nextie rims and wheelbuilds. Brad seemed to be very satisfied with them, but I don't know that they've done any testing for more than a year.

I'm building a set with Onyx hubs for a customer next week. I'll have a pretty good point of comparison on them, as I just built a set of Boyds to Onyx hubs. Same spoke count, lacing pattern, CX Rays on both. Similar depth in rims. 44/60 on the Boyds, 45/58 on the nextie..

livingminimal
01-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Just to tie a bit of a bow on this thread (as it was necro'd from almost a year ago!) I ended up getting the rims and EchelonJon built them up for me!

Two things:

I wish I hadn't gotten the 3K weave, the "checkerboard" look, but that's my bad.

I haven't been able to try them as I missed all of cross season with an injury and no bike.

Jon said the wheels built up great and he was optimistic, he didn't know how it was going to perform necessarily but all seemed well so far. I am unlikely to put road tubulars on for this season, but maybe? Who knows. If I do, I will keep you guys posted. I am considering doing a Tuesday night worlds closeby regularly.

Thanks for the PMs too! Really appreciate it.

vqdriver
01-06-2017, 07:30 PM
I wish I hadn't gotten the 3K weave, the "checkerboard" look, but that's my bad.

just curious. why not, does it not look like the middle of these?
i just assumed that everyone does it the same....

http://www.eiecarbon.com/carbon-rim-newsletter/carbon-technology-fiber-weave-for-rim-matte-glossy-ud-3k-12k/carbon-fiber-bike-rims-weaves-matte-UD-3K-12K.jpg

livingminimal
01-06-2017, 07:53 PM
just curious. why not, does it not look like the middle of these?
i just assumed that everyone does it the same....

http://www.eiecarbon.com/carbon-rim-newsletter/carbon-technology-fiber-weave-for-rim-matte-glossy-ud-3k-12k/carbon-fiber-bike-rims-weaves-matte-UD-3K-12K.jpg

Mines the far right. It isn't a deal breaker for me, but I would have gotten the furthest left if I'd been thinking more clearly at the time.

MaraudingWalrus
01-06-2017, 07:54 PM
Mines the far right. It isn't a deal breaker for me, but I would have gotten the furthest left if I'd been thinking more clearly at the time.

I think UD looks best on most everything. I thought far right was called 12k?

vqdriver
01-06-2017, 07:55 PM
yeah, that was my understanding as well.
UD - 3K - 12K

i wonder if they sent the wrong ones.

livingminimal
01-06-2017, 07:56 PM
I think UD looks best on most everything. I thought far right was called 12k?

Sure, maybe. I haven't been on the site in a long time. but yeah that's probably it. It isn't a deal breaker like I said, and they're just racing tubulars for cross.