PDA

View Full Version : Legend ST question

sailorboy
06-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi folks,
I am thinking about picking up a used legend ST that is built with "oversize" tubing. This sounds like it is an option that is either for more aggressive or heavier riders. The geometry and size seem perfect for me so I was wondering if anyone can give a qualified opinion on this oversize tubing vs. standard (is there even two types of builds available?) I've experienced a 1994 CRL and a 1998 CSI, but never thrown a leg over a Serotta Ti frame. I have ridden and raced a Litespeed vortex for about 2 seasons, so that is my only reference in Ti road bikes. At 160 lbs give or take, and not currently racing-but may again in the future-will this frame yield a semi-rough ride? The F3 fork with it is described as "standard" lay-up.
Thanks

JasonF
06-06-2006, 10:38 AM
I owned a Concours 'cross frame that was engineered to have the biggest, beefiest tubes possible with the stiffest ride Serotta could impart. I am 5'7" 150 pounds and usually pretty sensitive to harsh riding frames. The original owner was my height, but about 40 pounds heavier when the frame was made.

I found the frame to be quite comfortable, and the oversized tubes resulted in the requisite amount of stiffness, but the frame was by no means harsh. I put slicks on the wheels and went on the road and found the same to be true. Granted, I was running 700x32c's that dampened the ride but overall, I really liked how the frame felt.

There are other posts from actual Legend owners who felt that the Legend's default characteristics can be too stiff. As dbrk noted, discussing his needs resulted in a bike that lived up to his expectations.

Ken Robb
06-06-2006, 10:46 AM
my stock 60cm Legend seems perfect for me at 200 lbs. Stock CSI 58 cm. also rides very well. Maybe if you asked the guys at Serotta to look up the specs on this bike they could tell you how to expect it to ride. If you have the serial number they probably have the specs.

Len J
06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Hi folks,
I am thinking about picking up a used legend ST that is built with "oversize" tubing. This sounds like it is an option that is either for more aggressive or heavier riders. The geometry and size seem perfect for me so I was wondering if anyone can give a qualified opinion on this oversize tubing vs. standard (is there even two types of builds available?) I've experienced a 1994 CRL and a 1998 CSI, but never thrown a leg over a Serotta Ti frame. I have ridden and raced a Litespeed vortex for about 2 seasons, so that is my only reference in Ti road bikes. At 160 lbs give or take, and not currently racing-but may again in the future-will this frame yield a semi-rough ride? The F3 fork with it is described as "standard" lay-up.
Thanks

and e-mail either Serotta Andrew or kelly Bedford. Give them your weight and riding style and what you want to use the bike for and I suspect they can tell you better than anyone here what the riding characteristics of the frame are.

Good luck.

Len

Blastinbob
06-06-2006, 11:31 AM
If you are looking into the ebay 55st I am most certain that is the King's cycles owners/employees bike. Not sure about low mileage like the ad says. He is not a heavy guy, probly your weight or less.
I could look at it for you a give you a honest report if you want and that is the bike your talking about the shop is about 5 miles from my house.
Did they say it was OS tubing or just the OS chainstays?

Bob

Serotta PETE
06-06-2006, 12:23 PM
I have the OS seat stays and the beefy tubes on Sloped Legend ST and I love the ride.

I also have ridden many steel Serottas and the ride is definitely not harsh.

As Len said give Serotta a call - they are the experts.

PETE

sailorboy
06-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys, the serial number is a good idea. Hopefully I can get that information back while it is still available. I guess the other good thing about plopping down that much quan is that it should hold its re-sale value somewhat well if it doesn't work out for me. I also figured the ST rear end would help smooth out the ride vs. a standard legend.

Bob, you're right, it is the one on ebay. If you happen to be at that store you could check it out. They told me it has about 3000 miles and was used as a demo bike. You don't even have to look at it, I guess just if you think they are reputable that would be enough. Hearing that they are a Serotta dealer makes me feel somewhat reassured.

mavic1010
06-06-2006, 06:26 PM
That is really nice of you Bob...=)

I'm sure they are a reputable dealer, but I have my opinions on them. If you want to know, just PM me, I don't think it'd be appropriate for me to write about it here.

scottie
06-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Don't go writing off the ride quality of the Standard Ti Back end of a legend, My 01 legend has a ti rear triangle and it's an amazing ride, I can't see the ST being any better. I know my ST Ottrott isn't as comfortable... but I tuned that to be much stiffer...
Just my 2c.
Thanks,
Scottie.

Blastinbob
06-07-2006, 07:13 PM
It is his, the owners, but it's not at the store so I didn't get to see it. There is also another newer 55 tt 56 st Legend ST in the classifieds for sale.

Bob

sailorboy
06-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks for checking into it Bob, that was nice of you. Of course, I gave you the perfect excuse to head out to the shop one more time!

I am a little hung up on the size. It is about 1cm bigger than my ideal, and for that much money it is a concern. I think the oversize build wouldn't bother me, I have been on some pretty rigid frames lately and I have "comfy" bikes to ride when I want that.