PDA

View Full Version : Need some 1x11 flat bar setup advice & gearing question

jonbek
02-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Hi Y'all,

I'm looking to build a flat bar RLT9 here in the coming weeks. The idea being a solid commuter, single track (cyclocross degrees of difficulty) and fireroad bike. More often than not it will just be the 9-5 commuter.

I want to build it up with riser bars (I just like them better than drops) and I'm curious about the 1x11 set-up.

Do I run full SRAM X1 and simply use two 2.5mm spacers on the BB to manage the 68mmbb to 73mm crank difference and call it good or can I run a CX1 set-up with a X01 shifter and call that good?

I was also curious about Shimano, looks like I can buy the SL-RS700 ultegra shifters from Jenson and then simply run an Ultegra crankset and rear der/cassette?

And then on to gearing, what's advisable or a good starting point for road and gravel? 40t front and 11-36 rear? (background I ride mtg regularly, and race cross most seasons)

Anything else? Suggestions, experience etc? Am I overthinking it or missing anything...?

Thanks!

thermalattorney
02-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Do I run full SRAM X1 and simply use two 2.5mm spacers on the BB to manage the 68mmbb to 73mm crank difference and call it good

That would work.

or can I run a CX1 set-up with a X01 shifter and call that good?

No dice. With 11sp SRAM's road and MTB lines have diverged. MTB has a different freehub, cassette spacing and pull ratio. You *can* use their SL700 flat bar shifters with road stuff.

I was also curious about Shimano, looks like I can buy the SL-RS700 ultegra shifters from Jenson and then simply run an Ultegra crankset and rear der/cassette?

Yes.

Anything else? Suggestions, experience etc? Am I overthinking it or missing anything...?

Thanks!

I've been riding various converted CX bikes as commuters for years and I really like it. Don't forget about getting good brake levers like Avid's Speed Dials. Good luck, the RLT9 is a sweet frame!

icepick_trotsky
02-08-2016, 02:31 PM
I think your stated gearing would give you plenty of range. When I ran a 1x drivetrain on my commuter, it was a 44t chainring with an 11-32t cassette. It worked for me, but I used it exclusively for commuting on roads, whereas you have different plans. YMMV.

jonbek
02-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Thank you ^ both! :)

BAllenby
02-27-2016, 07:41 PM
I think your stated gearing would give you plenty of range. When I ran a 1x drivetrain on my commuter, it was a 44t chainring with an 11-32t cassette. It worked for me, but I used it exclusively for commuting on roads, whereas you have different plans. YMMV.

I also run my commuter (a Jake the Snake) with a 44t front and an 11-32 on the rear from April-November.

In the winter, when I have my studs on and speed or gear selection isn't at quite as much of a premium, I'll swap it out for an 11-36 that gives me just a bit more range when it gets sloppy or my legs are just cold and tired.

My commute is relatively flat with some small-ish hills, and I've settled on the 44 as a really nice compromise. I tried a 40 and 42 and found myself spinning too much on downhills when on the road.