PDA

View Full Version : Easy is relative

Tom
03-30-2004, 04:36 PM
As I ride the old bike I slowly add pieces to it as I decide things have worn out. I can't remember replacing the chain since I broke the original hyperglide chain some 12 years ago, and the rear cluster never was. I decide to get new and calculate ratios comparable to the 52-39, 12x25 on the new bike, because the old bike is set up with a 53-42. Without inspecting the old bike I order a 13-26 seven speed cluster. When it arrives, I'm surprised to see that if I had cleaned the grime off the old one I'd have seen it was a 13-23. I put the new one on.

Here's where it gets weird. The hills I ride up aren't any easier in the new low gear and they don't feel any better. I go into low gear simply because it's there. Then I look for a lower gear.

dave thompson
03-30-2004, 05:53 PM
You're gettin' old Tom. I know, I'm there.

Sandy
03-30-2004, 06:00 PM
"Easy is relative". No, easy is no relative.

SSS

Sandy
03-30-2004, 06:15 PM
My identical twin brother is a physician who used to have a nurse who worked for him, who during childhood, would climb, by bike, a certain steep hill. This was done on a single gear bike. Many years later, she bought a multi-speed bike and simply could not make it up the hill. She was quite surprised.

Age, age, age, age,........

Sandy

Kevin
03-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Tick ........... Tick .............. Tick ................. Tick ..............

Where did my childhood go?

Kevin

keno
03-30-2004, 07:57 PM
as she wasn't over the hill.

keno

gt6267a
03-30-2004, 08:17 PM
i think my last ride sums it up well:

the first five miles i rode by myself. i might have pulled a muscle in my left leg, i should take it easy. yeah, i think my handle bars are uneven. i should do something about that. is my left pedal as smooth as the right one? do i need new pedals? i'm not sure if i like this seat. hmmm.

miles five : hey, those guys look fast. i bet i could catch them. let's see where they are going.

miles six - 38 riding with the guys : we're making great time. riding in a group kicks ass. why did we slow down for the light? let's go faster. let me in front and let's speed this thang up. let's hammer.

miles 39 - 46 riding by myself : duuuude, those guys kicked my ass. i am not in shape to be riding like that. give me a few weeks. my legs are tired. do i have enough water?

Sandy
03-30-2004, 08:53 PM
Keno,

Very well done.

jpw
03-31-2004, 03:17 AM
To all,

SHUT UP about ageing! You're depressiong me.

Elefantino
03-31-2004, 08:05 AM
It's not the age ... it's the mileage.